Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Resan's Build

Old 07-23-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Resan
Today I got myself some Endless/Zeal Function X coilovers. A good friend of mine got them with a s2k that he bought. He wasn't going to install them so he put them up for sale. I was already looking at second hand coilovers in Japan, so this was quite a nice coincidence. After quickly reading some specs and reviews of these coilovers, I decided to just get them. A few hours later they were on the car haha. First impressions.. This is definetly a step up from the BC Racing coilovers. The Zeal coilovers soak up imperfections and bumps really well. Cornering is still firm and I feel more imput through the steering wheel. I'm really impressed. I didn't think this would make such a difference. I'm looking forward testing them more and see what my perfect setting will be. Yes, I need to clean them up a bit haha.

Some more info on these coilovers:

ZEAL Coilover suspension systems uses the originally developed X-Coil spring. The height adjustable coilover kit has been designed to capitalize on the linear characteristics of the X-Coil spring. The Function Series line-up has been developed to meet the needs of a variety of different driving stages. The Function-X is a 30-way adjustable coilover kit designed for sporty street use and track use. Function-X has 30-way damping adjustment and height adjustment, designed for sporty street driving and track use. Due to its architecture, changing the damping setting is simple. The chrome-plated damper body and aluminum part prevents rust and keeps the unit lightweight.

Recommended Users:
- Those seeking to improve handling on the track.
- Those who want to be able to fine tune their suspensions for the track.

Features:
- Independent Height Adjustability
- 30-Way Damping Adjustable
- Single Inverted Monotube
- Overhaul OK
- Damping Setting Change OK
- Steel Shell Case with Special Chrome Plating

Spring Rates:
F: 8kg/mm R: 8kg/mm
Hi mate,
Have you done any further testing with the new suspension? Have you tried them on a long journey and/or in any twisties/mountain roads?
One of the suspensions I am thinking of is this one with the F: 10kg/mm R: 10kg/mm spring rates.
Cheers
Old 07-24-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronin_Gaijin
Hi mate,
Have you done any further testing with the new suspension? Have you tried them on a long journey and/or in any twisties/mountain roads?
One of the suspensions I am thinking of is this one with the F: 10kg/mm R: 10kg/mm spring rates.
Cheers
Hi man,

Yes, I have. Btw, I know it says it's 30 way adjustable, but it's actually 40 way adjustable. For me the sweet spot is around 35 clicks on the front and 30 in the rear. I also would like 10kg or 12kg springs in the future. As it is right now (8kg), I'm pretty amazed how good this drives. The car feels really planted and stable over imperfections and the limit feels a bit higher now. With the BC's I felt less confident driving fast through high speed corners. On the highway the BC's were less comfortable, so longer drives were more exhausting. This set drives more comfortable when driving casually, yet firm. With the Zeal dampers I feel I have better response and better feedback through the steeringwheel and less movement over bumps. At low speeds I can corner faster and changing direction on winding roads is a lot more stable, direct and precise. Under hard braking the car also feels more stable. Before, the rear end would feel a little wiggly and light. The car is now less tailhappy and tends to slide with all 4 wheels. I hope to drive with stickier tires next month. I can't wait how the car feels with those on, because the tires I have right now can't really keep up. At the moment I have my beater OEM wheels on the car with Bridgestones Re050a on the front and cheap Nexen performance tires on the rear, so it's definetly not optimal. The tire squeel is crazy right now haha.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Resan
Hi man,

Yes, I have. Btw, I know it says it's 30 way adjustable, but it's actually 40 way adjustable. For me the sweet spot is around 35 clicks on the front and 30 in the rear. I also would like 10kg or 12kg springs in the future. As it is right now (8kg), I'm pretty amazed how good this drives. The car feels really planted and stable over imperfections and the limit feels a bit higher now. With the BC's I felt less confident driving fast through high speed corners. On the highway the BC's were less comfortable, so longer drives were more exhausting. This set drives more comfortable when driving casually, yet firm. With the Zeal dampers I feel I have better response and better feedback through the steeringwheel and less movement over bumps. At low speeds I can corner faster and changing direction on winding roads is a lot more stable, direct and precise. Under hard braking the car also feels more stable. Before, the rear end would feel a little wiggly and light. The car is now less tailhappy and tends to slide with all 4 wheels. I hope to drive with stickier tires next month. I can't wait how the car feels with those on, because the tires I have right now can't really keep up. At the moment I have my beater OEM wheels on the car with Bridgestones Re050a on the front and cheap Nexen performance tires on the rear, so it's definetly not optimal. The tire squeel is crazy right now haha.
Thank you for coming back to me with all that information.
Are you counting your setting from hardest and backwards? So have you set up your suspension to a very hard setting? Is this why you say you would prefer stiffer springs in the future?
As for the 40 settings, I think every coilover system can go beyond the advertised adjustability setting, but at least TEIN in their manual states that "If your dampers have 16 levels of adjustment but you can physically count 20 clicks, if you count from softest and set your dampers to 3 clicks..thats outside the manufacturers damper range, thus possible damage."
Cheers
P.S. I have really enjoyed your build so far with the photo carrying the front bar, being my favourite. Because S2k is life!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ronin_Gaijin
Originally Posted by Resan' timestamp='1469391150' post='24023877
Hi man,

Thank you for coming back to me with all that information.
Are you counting your setting from hardest and backwards? So have you set up your suspension to a very hard setting? Is this why you say you would prefer stiffer springs in the future?
As for the 40 settings, I think every coilover system can go beyond the advertised adjustability setting, but at least TEIN in their manual states that "If your dampers have 16 levels of adjustment but you can physically count 20 clicks, if you count from softest and set your dampers to 3 clicks..thats outside the manufacturers damper range, thus possible damage."
Cheers
P.S. I have really enjoyed your build so far with the photo carrying the front bar, being my favourite. Because S2k is life!
Sure no problem mate! I feel Zeal is pretty much the best I've had so far. AST comes pretty close. Those drove great aswell on my EE8. I have tried to do some research on the Zeal function X dampers but not much is known about them on s2k's. I did read somewhere where a guy tested them against Buddyclub N+ dampers. He was 3 sec faster on the track with the Zeals. Can't remember what track it was, but it's quite a noticable difference.
I always count my settings from the softest setting. So I almost have the hardest settings. Yes I like my ride to be a little firmer than most people. In the future I will probably opt for 12k springs or maybe even stiffer.
Ah I never knew that. One time I maxed them out (40 clicks) to see how it drives and after the testdrive it was very hard to turn it 1 click soft again. As if they were stuck. So you could be right. I will definetly not max them out again. On my other coilovers the advertised adjustability settings were correct though.

Haha cool. Some say I can be a little eccentric at times lol
Old 10-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

The Amuse Legalo bumper looks very nice. Can't wait it see how it looks paint matched to the car.

How does it compare to the ap1 bumper with lip in terms of standing ground clearance and driving up steep driveways?
Old 10-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Orjinal
The Amuse Legalo bumper looks very nice. Can't wait it see how it looks paint matched to the car.

How does it compare to the ap1 bumper with lip in terms of standing ground clearance and driving up steep driveways?
Yes I can't wait either. I still need to buy the Legalo frontfenders and then I'd like to paint the whole car in a different color. Not sure yet what color it will be, but it needs to go well with my red seats & carpet and bronze wheels. I did have a setback this week, losing my drivers license for speeding 51kph (actually 100kph, but the police couldn't keep up lol) over the speedlimit giving me a huge fine, so now I have to paint the car a little later. Somewhere mid 2017.

The Legalo bumper definetly has great ground clearance as you can see in the picture. The distance between the road is very similair to a prefacelift bumper with lip I think. Only the bottom part of the bumper sticks out considerably more than a prefacelift bumper. Maybe 3 inches. That makes it a little harder to get over speedbumps and such, but still, it has great ground clearence. More than most other aftermarket frontbumpers.

Might aswell tell you guys what other little things I have replaced or sold. I replaced both front steering tie rods. Those were completely rusted and seized up. Still need to replace many more suspension components. I also refreshed the gearbox and differential oil. The car feels much smoother now.

I sold my Tamon carbon duckbill last month. The duckbill did't fit in what I have envisioned for the car. It just looks too angular and I feel it doesn't flow well with the rest of the car. It will be replaced with a OEM rear trunk spoiler most likely. No more carbon exposed parts. Everything needs to be in color.

As of now I really like to only have Amuse, OEM or "modified" exterior parts if possible. That means I either won't install the Voltex rear overfenders or I would have to modify and mold them as if it looks factory. We'll see by then... I also have plans to buy a new JDM prefacelift rearbumper and modify it with some side vents and small openings, so the rear complements the front of the car and air can flow better. I hope I can make these plans all reality next year.

Last edited by Resan; 10-26-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Great project! Wheels and new bumper look great on your car.
Can't wait to see the rest. Too bad they took your license and fined you though.

Thanks for the tea btw
Old 11-30-2022, 09:01 AM

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Back from the dead. Whatever happened to this build? Wish I could find some SE37K
Old 11-04-2023, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Spoon Fed
Back from the dead. Whatever happened to this build? Wish I could find some SE37K
I still have the car and it's New Imola Orange Pearl now. I may do some updates in the future.

The following users liked this post:
S2KRIO (12-16-2023)