Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Ricky's semi-legitimate, kinda dumb build thread.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Should have learned from my build thread that HP+ are NOT NOT NOT a viable solution in the front for any kind of skilled driver. I had to do the same exact thing and baby them to barely get them through a weekend and they started out brand new. I have run both CMP and Roebling multiple times with NASA Southeast, so LMK LMK LMK.
Yep, hp+ are f@#kin scary when you're really pushing the car and on decent rubber. These were my first set of track pads on staggered wheels. On a non-staggered setup, I imagine them being almost completely unusable.

I gotta give props for just running em though. Too many people obsess over changing XYZ before going to the track rather than focusing on getting on track and changing things later. Run whatcha brung.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 218 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
That trunk looks god awful on your car, so you should give it to me.
If it was mine to give....... yeah, I still wouldn't give it to you.

Originally Posted by SlowTeg

I gotta give props for just running em though. Too many people obsess over changing XYZ before going to the track rather than focusing on getting on track and changing things later. Run whatcha brung.
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS x100

I can't stand when people make shitty excuses as to why they can't track their cars, instead buying parts to make it "track ready." Motherf@#kers, my first track day was on Nexen N3000 tires, and all I did to get ready for it was put HP+ on the car (the pads I have are left over from when I thought that was a good idea ) and change my fluids. These cars are a fluid and pad change away from being track cars. They're remarkable in that aspect, that they require so little to be competent, fun cars on track, just like a Miata.

And yeah, the HP+ are terrible, especially when non-staggered. Add to the fact that I drove around 4 hours on one of the faster tracks in the country in 110 degree+ weather, and, well, yeah I can't believe I made them last a whole weekend.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,633 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Originally Posted by sam_spider' timestamp='1435765557' post='23666781
That trunk looks god awful on your car, so you should give it to me.
If it was mine to give....... yeah, I still wouldn't give it to you.

Originally Posted by SlowTeg

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS x100

I can't stand when people make shitty excuses as to why they can't track their cars, instead buying parts to make it "track ready." Motherf@#kers, my first track day was on Nexen N3000 tires, and all I did to get ready for it was put HP+ on the car (the pads I have are left over from when I thought that was a good idea ) and change my fluids. These cars are a fluid and pad change away from being track cars. They're remarkable in that aspect, that they require so little to be competent, fun cars on track, just like a Miata.

And yeah, the HP+ are terrible, especially when non-staggered. Add to the fact that I drove around 4 hours on one of the faster tracks in the country in 110 degree+ weather, and, well, yeah I can't believe I made them last a whole weekend.

My first track weekend I ran OEM pads and switched to super blue fluid. Learning to track the car prior to modding is best, that way if you mod the car afterwards you'll find out if that money was well spent or not.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Community Organizer

The only reason I switched pads was because I knew I would be testing the capabilities of the car at the limit, and I didn't want to lose brakes part way through a session.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,633 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I got mine to fade on the 2nd day, after that I switched to track pads. No issues since.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Community Organizer

I've burnt stock pads off a car in one session. It's no fun when your day ends because you burnt your pads away. I'd rather pay a couple hundred bucks to make sure I can be out there all day for a few days, instead of a few hours.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Coming along just great ... the wing is nice !!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by chrisaltima
Coming along just great ... the wing is nice !!
Thanks Chris! Your car keeps getting better and better. One of my favorite berlinas on the site!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
I've burnt stock pads off a car in one session. It's no fun when your day ends because you burnt your pads away. I'd rather pay a couple hundred bucks to make sure I can be out there all day for a few days, instead of a few hours.
Yep. I was waiting on my Stoptech Trophys and expecting to have those for my first track weekend in the S2000, but it got to Wednesday the weekend before, and I knew I wasn't going to have them so I got Greg to 2 day a set of Hawk HP+s to me cause I was not going to miss that track weekend. I destroyed them that weekend, but it was worth the cost.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Community Organizer

The only things standing in the way of someone wanting to put this car on track are lack of time, lack of money, and an unsafe car.

Quick Reply: Ricky's semi-legitimate, kinda dumb build thread.