Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Ryan's Kraftwerks LBP AP2

Old 10-28-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ryan's Kraftwerks LBP AP2

Hey guys, I figured I’d get a build thread going for my 3rd (and last) S2000. Before I picked this one up, I was pretty happy with where my AP1 was, but I really wanted to boost it, and started looking for an 06-09 AP2 so I could tune on flashpro. I was particularly interested in an LBP car, but having never been sold new in Canada, I knew my chances of finding one were slim. So I spent about a month looking for a decent example in the US to bring up, before this car popped up sale about an hour and a half from Toronto. The car came mostly stock but for the Kraftwerks Supercharger kit, so it seemed like a perfect starting point. She’s super mint with all original paint, all VINs, and no CarFax claims.

Here's my AP1 before I returned it to stock (as it is now going up for sale sale spring 2019):

Here’s the new AP2 the day I picked it up:

I drove the car mostly as it was this summer, and just started swapping a few parts over from my AP1, including my Bride Zeta 2, redlinegoods re-wrapped interior bits, CR radio door, and Alpine head unit. I also swapped the Skunk2 catback & vibrant HFC for a Tanabe Medallion & EVS catback, and installed EVS diff collars and the Renegade shifter bushing.

Here’s a few test shots with the Evasive spec TEs that were on the AP1 (just for fun, it looked hilarious on stock suspension):

I put about 1000km on the car without a hiccup, until this happened (you can also see I need new copper washers for my Rotrex reservoir) :

Fortunately I smelt oil right before pulling into a driveway, and I hadn’t leaked too much (dipstick read just at the bottom marking). I saw that the VTEC solenoid bolt was loose, and when I went to hand-tighten it, I discovered it had sheared off. So, I had the car flatbedded to my garage. I dug into it and found that 2/3 bolts had actually broken. So far, I've been able to extract 1 of them, but the battle goes on with the 2nd. I will be replacing with ARP bolts.

I also threw on my Forbidden 2-piece hardtop brackets/RSG hardtop (which will be color matched) and Billman Gen-X TCT from my AP1. My 4 month old helper wasn't too helpful.

Further winter plans include swapping all the suspension components over from my AP1, replacing the bumper/fenders, a few upgraded cooling components, and a bunch of maintenance items. The new front end, hood, and hardtop will be resprayed in the spring.

Also keeping me busy this winter is my other car (seen on the hoist), which, as a Subaru, needs a bunch of bunch of stuff fixed. Think I'm going to tackle the major items on the AP2 before turning to the STI. I'm off to Vegas/SEMA later this week but will update when I return...
Old 11-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Couple small updates. I'm still waiting on the ARP bolts & kraftwerks VTEC solenoid gasket.

In the meantime, I installed the Whiteline front swaybar & Hardrace front RCAs from my AP1. The endlink boots looked kinda cracked so I'm going to order some new ones.

I also removed the front panels from the car. Since all vins are intact on this car, I didn't want to pull the OEM front fenders to clear my TE37s. So, I found a used set of fenders locally for $100 that are already rolled. I'm planning on having the fenders, hardtop, hood, and new aftermarket front bumper painted in the spring.

That's it for now.... although I did just add another project to the garage (yes, it's a 6spd):
Old 03-10-2019, 08:41 PM

I haven't had a ton of time to work on the car.

I did just traded the Taco in for this, and am gonna sell the V70r lol:

Quick mock up a used ASM bumper I picked up (it's authentic/fits well, but is not clipped in here obviously!)

Another tiny bit of ASM bling lol

More functional cooling stuff:

Installed (not sure why I did this before the next step):

I pulled the head to properly get to the TCT mounting threads. I'm going to drop the head off at a machine shop for a cleaning/inspection and to have the valve seals done and the TCT thread time-serted. Someone suggested that I also get the exhaust valves replaced for cheap insurance at this mileage (180k/110k miles), and I will be ordering all new OEM gaskets (obviously) and lost motion assembly caps, along with ARP head studs. It'll also be a good opportunity to replace a bunch of the kraftwerks hardware that seems prone to failure with stronger ARP components, as outlined in the big KW thread in the F/I section (a must-read if you're considering a KW kit!)

Still a TON to do to the car, I'd love to have it on the road by June but I'm not feeling so sure at this rate..

Last edited by Canadian144; 03-10-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:07 PM

So I the head back from the machine shop and installed it using ARP studs and an OEM head gasket. I also took the opportunity to install my EVS oil pan baffle and will be next replacing the timing chain/chain guides.

Swapped my clutch slave cylinder line for a new stainless one, and also deleted the clutch delay valve:

Installed my Öhlins all around, along with origin fab delrin offset bushings, stainless brake lines and Sakebomb garage rear Ohlins mounts.

Did another quick test fit of the TEs, still playing with the suspension height.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:46 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

You're fixing to have a fun spring ahead my friend
The following users liked this post:
Canadian144 (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Been a LONG time since I updated this. Got the car up and running shortly after the last update, and then was going to pick the GF up from the airport and the belt broke, snapping the idler stud. After getting a new pulley, belt and some misc. parts from KW, the car's been running for a few months now without a hiccup.

After an alignment and rear fender roll, I threw the TE's on for good. Here's the car as it sits today, about to go into paint. Hopefully it's one color by mid-October!

Beyond the usual maintenance items, winter plans will include:

-SoS hood struts
-carbon fiber "mudflaps"
-hondata MAP sensor
-turbosmart bypass valve
-walbro pump & roadrace baffle
-Morel speakers
-hardrace rear endlinks

Still lots of long-term plans though.... the build never ends lol.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its looking good
Old 12-05-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by DCPHIVE
Its looking good
Thanks!

Picked her up front paint and put her straight into storage.

Have a few things planned for the winter, will keep this thread updated.

I just sold my Bride Zeta 2 and picked up Recaro PP. On Black Friday, I also ordered a set of carbon side splitters, Radium dual catch can, PCI seat rail, and energy rear swaybar bushings. Just need some time to get everything installed!
Old 12-05-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Keep us updated on the car with the KW for more issues; the forums on fb have so many people pissed about bolts braking belt ripping hope yours has been going strong?
Did you ever dyno the car? Can you post your #'s

Sweet build keep it up
Old 12-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by gotembro
Keep us updated on the car with the KW for more issues; the forums on fb have so many people pissed about bolts braking belt ripping hope yours has been going strong?
Did you ever dyno the car? Can you post your #'s

Sweet build keep it up
Thanks! Mine has been great since the rebuild. I've upgraded the VTEC solenoid bracket to the latest Kraftwerks revision (which includes an additional support bracket that attached to the timing chain cover), and have updated the threaded stud that goes through the idler pulley to the new KW stud. Since then, no broken belts or pulleys (though I did go through a few).

I'm going to re-inspect everything in the spring and re-set the belt tension then. It's definitely a finicky kit but after taking it apart quite a few times I think I have a good idea of how everything should go back together and what to watch for.

The car was tuned by the previous owner and put down 430whp. I'd like to swap out the Grams injectors for a set of ID1050X's in the spring and have the car re-tuned. Here's the graph:
The following users liked this post:
gotembro (12-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Ryan's Kraftwerks LBP AP2