Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Kyle's GPW/Red long-term S2k shenanigans

Old 09-19-2018, 05:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

S2killyourself. How very edgy.
The following users liked this post:
Kyle (09-25-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Gotta keep up appearances when you’re an edgelord like myself.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:14 AM

Installed some AP2 horns this past weekend. Not a fan of the puny little horns that come on the AP1 cars. I think I've done this mod to every single Japanese car I've owned to date. My FA5 civic has the Accord horns, and back when I had my 2015 STi I ordered some horns from Japan to replace the stock ones that were marketed for the STis. The "meep meep" sound of the circular style horns just doesn't do it for me; I typically replace them with the trumpet-style horns that tend to come on bigger vehicles as long as they're plug and play. Luckily AP2 horns are a direct fit for anyone curious....I've done some reading on here but haven't seen anyone actually do this to their AP1 or a definitive yes/no that they would fit. Typically there'd be no reason why they wouldn't but sometimes connectors tend to change and such.

Also removed the hood insulator. It'll be nice to be able to hear more whine from the supercharger when I finally get that in. Had the squirters out; was cleaning the caked on wax on the little gaskets that go between them and the hood. Gonna spend a good portion of the next few days getting Aerospace 303 on all of the interior plastics, replacing some of the worn plastics, and getting Shin-Etsu on the rubber seals. It's amazing how well some of the trim has come back with just a nice coating of 303 on there.

Last edited by Kyle; 09-24-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Finally another morbid member
Old 09-24-2018, 09:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Loving the build
Kyle (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

This. Don't cut yourself on that edge.
Kyle (09-25-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:22 AM

Been slowly chipping away at minor eyesores that bug me. I've been compiling lists of various little parts I need to replace, and I usually just end up ordering from Japan as they can get most of the stuff that the US dealers can get on top of "discontinued" items that US dealers claim they can no longer get. After a month or so wait these finally came in with other little odds and ends. I already tried ordering these from a US dealer, said discontinued. Japan to the rescue.

I've noticed with the seat fully pushed back that these rear headrest panels make contact. Luckily I'm not very tall at only 5' 9" and I have a long torso, so it's not necessary to have the seat all the way back. I oriented the passenger seat a little away from the hoops as well so I'm hoping I won't see wear on these again. I might buy another spare set just in case...at 10 bucks a piece it's insurance I can swallow.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:13 AM

Not many updates as unfortunately the driving season is coming to a close hard and fast here in New England...Car is all torn apart as I'm replacing the original cracked cluster with another one. I also picked up a new silver gauge bezel and found some mint used silver audio/climate controls to replace my worn ones.

Got the BYS lowering seat rail in before I put it away for the winter. It's a quality piece and the install was a breeze. Happy with the results and the price (about $315 shipped from Nengun). So while the car slumbers I'll be stockpiling parts in anticipation of next season. I've collected a bunch of misc odds and ends but some of the main stuff I snagged was new OEM provisions for mounting a hardtop to my car (defrost harness, body side catchers, brushes, hardware, grommets etc.) so my car will be ready to receive a hardtop when I finally decide to get one, and before these parts are discontinued. I also got the provisions to run KPro on my car (valve cover, sensors, sprockets, etc.) which I will hopefully have up and running by the spring.

Car is parked on a waterproof tarp instead of the concrete floor, battery is out and on a tender, windows down a crack, top up and not latched, a few drops of peppermint oil in a catfood can w/ cotton balls in the interior, big tub of DampRid in the interior on the floor, fuel topped off and a bottle of stabilizer added, stuffed rags in the tail pipes to keep out uninvited guests, and the airbox lid removed so it doesn't seem as inviting to unwanted guests as well as another tub of DampRid in my unit with all of the numerous cardboard boxes of hoarded parts.

That's all folks....most likely no updates to this thread for the next 5 months unless I feel like showing off some parts as they come in.

Last edited by Kyle; 11-08-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:27 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Looking forward to seeing your April photos.

Is the car going to hibernate in your garage at home? Just curious. In Cleveland (where we had our very own salt mine under Lake Erie) I kept mine at home under a soft cover and a couple of feet off the garage floor so the "stuff" brought in by the other cars didn't get to it.

-- Chuck
Old 11-09-2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Adrenalize
Loving the build
Thank you! I'm taking my time and trying to do things as right as I can get them within the limits of my OCD and wallet

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Looking forward to seeing your April photos.

Is the car going to hibernate in your garage at home? Just curious. In Cleveland (where we had our very own salt mine under Lake Erie) I kept mine at home under a soft cover and a couple of feet off the garage floor so the "stuff" brought in by the other cars didn't get to it.

-- Chuck
I've actually rented a storage unit. It's 10x25 or 30, forgot the depth, plenty big for the car. The one thing I didn't do is pump up the tires, my portable compressor died and by the time I realized I could make a quick trip to the gas station I had it too far taken apart and too buttoned up. It's a moot point anyway now, the Ap1 wheels/tires are essentially for winter storage only now for this season and after as I'll be running some nice sticky tires and the RZIIs come spring, plus the tires are shot lol.

My plan is to more or less leave the car locked up for the winter and really minimize going into the unit if I don't have to for the reasons you mentioned. I'm thinking about maybe buying a length of rubber door stripping and putting it along the bottom of my bay door or on the floor to further keep out the elements, but I think it already has one on there. I'm not going to get too crazy....I feel like I'm doing a lot more than most people do; and I'm not really understanding a car cover for inside storage....first thing I'm gonna do is wash it come spring.

And thanks for the encouraging words! I can't wait until next season. I've already got a ton of parts coming in, as during winter I more or less just work 7 days a week because I generally don't have anything better to do when it's cold and nasty out, not like I'd wanna go out anyway....I've lived in New England all my life and just turned 30 this year....I'm not old by any stretch but each year the cold gets to me a little more....starting to absolutely dread the coming of winter now; loved it when I was a kid.

Last edited by Kyle; 11-09-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Kyle's GPW/Red long-term S2k shenanigans