Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Sebring Silver MY2002 AP1 with Custom Black/Blue Interior -

Old 08-08-2016, 05:46 AM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Jae2K
I hope this isn't too personal a question and if it is, I apologize in advance, but where did you score the hood and how much?
I had a shop in Toronto import it from Japan, they offer promotional sales by bringing in containers from Japan once a year at reduced pricing. I think it was like $1,500 Canadian, that was about 2 years ago. It's an authentic J's Racing Type S hood.

Gotuning.com sells them in the US, perhaps others do as well. Seibon makes a replica of it which isn't too bad for the money. I actually owned the Seibon version before buying the J's Racing authentic hood as I wanted to be sure I liked the look before I spent the money on the authentic one. I ended up selling the Seibon and then I bought the J's Racing hood.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats very interesting. The reason I ask is because I'm actually about to buy a replica (seibon) version of the hood but of course ultimately I'd like to own the authentic. Not because of the whole "real v fake" argument or scene points, but because it's cool to own an authentic piece of jdm culture. So I think I'll buy the replica and make sure the look sticks with me like you, and get my hands on the real one soon as I decide its time. Thank you for the info! I think a lot of your followers would love some close ups of the hood itself.

I'm deciding between the J's hood and a shift sports amuse style hood, ugh.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jae2K
Thats very interesting. The reason I ask is because I'm actually about to buy a replica (seibon) version of the hood but of course ultimately I'd like to own the authentic. Not because of the whole "real v fake" argument or scene points, but because it's cool to own an authentic piece of jdm culture. So I think I'll buy the replica and make sure the look sticks with me like you, and get my hands on the real one soon as I decide its time. Thank you for the info! I think a lot of your followers would love some close ups of the hood itself.

I'm deciding between the J's hood and a shift sports amuse style hood, ugh.
Here's a couple more pics of the hood.

The authentic J's hood is lighter in weight and the carbon weave is really nice. The carbon is paper thin, you can literally see through it lol. I loved looking at the carbon on the J's hood but it tends to match the car better when painted, it was a difficult choice to paint it. The Seibon hood was heavier, maybe even heavier than stock, but it is a pretty strong construction because of it. I've cut the underside of the J's hood to work with my Mugen intake.

I like the Type-S design, the Type-V and Mugen style hoods look a bit too aggressive for me. The Type-S does s great job of cooling the engine bay, it reduces lift without adding downforce, and any water that enters the engine bay through the hood opening goes straight down to the ground behind the radiator. I've driven through torrential rains on the highway for up to five hours without any water concerns. The J's might be a bit better fitment over the Seibon but it isn't much and there is plenty of adjustment on the hoods if you want to get them perfectly installed.

Name:  DSC01313_zpsfy3ma5jn.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  DSC01314_zpswgnqgzgj.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  226.0 KB

Front shot
Name:  DSC01318_zpszwmtstuw.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  209.3 KB

Name:  DSC01315_zpsfus7gycc.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  213.4 KB

Name:  DSC01317_zpsdpf2lq3z.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  254.9 KB
Old 08-30-2016, 05:17 PM

Two lower chassis bars added to the mix to stiffen things up a wee bit.

I've added both bars and I think the car feels great, turn-in response is improved, much better than I would have expected. Very happy with the results.

Name:  DSC01320_zpslk8ocgfp.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  262.7 KB
Old 08-30-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

The project never ends
Old 08-31-2016, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Frida83
The project never ends
You got that right, stuff is always coming up to tempt me ! lol.

I just got the two front lower chassis braces installed and the car feels great, turn-in response is improved and the car feels more rigid , you can actually feel the difference and I wasn't expecting much. I might look for a rear brace next, and I have a Spoon tunnel brace on delivery.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 420 Likes on 319 Posts

Did you ever install the CR rack stiffeners?
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Did you ever install the CR rack stiffeners?
Yes I did one at a time though, I did the larger tube one a year or so ago at the front of the rack and I just did the rear one this summer. The rear one is not bolted down in the middle like it works on a CR subframe, just bolted at the two mounting points on the rack. I might look at bolting down the middle if I can find some sort of spacer for it as it does not touch the subframe on my ap1. I think they are intended to transmit some added steering feel on our otherwise numb electric steering rack, I can't say that my car has benefited much from that but I like having them in place much like any stiffener.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

So many nice mods on your car! That J's Type-S hood is beautiful, looks way better compared to the Type-V imo.
I also just noticed you have the Password JDM center console in carbon, happy with the way it fits/looks? After seeing yours I definately want one as well
Old 09-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bubbels**
So many nice mods on your car! That J's Type-S hood is beautiful, looks way better compared to the Type-V imo.
I also just noticed you have the Password JDM center console in carbon, happy with the way it fits/looks? After seeing yours I definately want one as well
Thank you very much for the kind words. I prefer the look of the Type-S hood over other designs out there. It reduces lift without adding drag, and it keeps the engine bay much cooler. Any water that gets through the hood just drops down behind the radiator to the ground harmlessly, unlike other hoods with more openings where you have to worry about water getting into electronics and stuff. I've driven through torrential rain storms for several hours at highway speeds without any issues. My hood is also slightly lighter than stock, given how light the OEM hood is that is a good thing, as some aftermarket hoods out there can be heavier than stock.

I do have the password JDM center console in carbon fiber. I am reasonably happy with the fitment and looks. It was a very tight fit, but that is a good thing I think. It had a few small imperfections when I got it, but once installed they are not noticeable. I've had it for a few years and it has held up well. I think the carbon center console looks better than other products out there such as leather replacements, and it is a big improvement over the OEM materials.