Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Simple and Functional AP1 Build

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Simple and Functional AP1 Build

Hello Everyone,

I never imagined I would start a build thread of my own, but decided after having invested so much time and energy in "the S2000", I would like to share my recent experiences. This is my third try at successfully owning and appreciating an S2000. I was lucky enough to have been pushed in the direction of the S2000 back in 2003 by my father. Originally a car I never considered, or had even known of. He called it "the poor man's Daytona" (referring to the Ferrari Daytona GTB4 he had owned at a more fiscally successful part of his life). Front engine, rear wheel drive, light, great balance, N/A, convertible, everything there is to love about a pure sports car.

It began with the purchase of my 03 Silverstone on Red AP1. No words can quite describe the pure thrill I experienced when I first got the car. I would drive for days just for the sake of driving. I put 12,000 miles on the car in about four to six months, with no long commute of any kind. Unfortunately, I was involved in a front end collision only 6 months after having purchased the car, and after the repairs, it never drove right again. It didn't take me long to decide where to go next, and purchased a new AP2 shortly after they came out. Went with the a GPW/Tan combo (the best looking S2000 I've ever owned). Put a quite a bit of work in the car and really enjoyed driving it till I moved abroad for business and was forced to sell it.

Years later (and several cars later) I'm back where I began, searching for another S2000 (as nothing could quite satisfy a certain automotive need created by the S2000). I set out with the intention of finding either an 02 or 03, with low of miles, and as stock as possible as a car I would purchase with the intention of keeping for life. I was lucky enough to find a MY03 AP1 with 8,600 miles on the ODO (happened to be same year and color as first S). It was/is absolutely perfect. Never driven in the rain, never modified in anyway except custom made seat covers, stored in closed garage under cover, and as low of miles as I'd realistically find. Gave the buyer his asking price and concluded the deal within 48 hours of its listing online.

Day I purchased the car:

I immediately began ordering what I'd consider the basic modifications needed to extract the true factory potential of the F20C (had there been no emission/consumption restrictions). My goal is to maintain OEM like drivability, but refined as wisely as possible. I proceeded with ordering the Toda Torquie Kun header, 60mm test pipe, and Fujitsubo Legalis-R (I swore to myself this time around I wouldn't settle for drone!), AEM V2 (best power making intake for the $$), Mugen thermostat/fan switch/radiator cap, and new radiator hoses (as previous ones were cracking). Had everything installed within a week of having purchased the car (2nd drive since ownership). I also ordered an AEM Series 2 to be tuned by Sean Church to extract the real benefit of the modifications listed above.

Initial installation/first round of parts:

My third time driving the car on my way to Church Automotive for tuning, I notice a plume of white smoke from my rear view, when I look towards the dash to see my temp gauge maxed out, oil pressure light on, and immediate total loss of power. My ex-mechanic forgot to torque the thermostat housing bolts, so the thermostat rattled itself loose on the highway, and I lost all my coolant and blew the motor by virtue of overheating. My demoralization at this moment was unparalleled.

Blown Motor:

Being that my goal was to have a perfect low mileage car, I went out and purchased a complete new F20C short block from Honda (which now all come w/ upgraded banjo bolts), resurfaced the head, purchased a Supertech valve train including titanium retainers, dual valve springs, flat bottom higher compression racing valves, and a Hondata intake manifold gasket. Had everything assembled and taken care of by Tony Fuchs who is the "dream mechanic". Figured I'd put in a new clutch and went with the ACT Street package, and also put in a Cusco catch can. After getting the car back on the road, I went back to Sean and had the car finally tuned (the results were great w/ 253hp and 171ft/lb of torque).

Dyno vids:
http://youtu.be/2DBwQxbq3ME
http://youtu.be/kzLu-SglcW4

After getting the mechanics down, I ordered Yokohama AD08s to replace the OEM S02s which were still on the car, and were so old and dry they became a safety hazard. After getting the new (awesome) tires, I had the car aligned, and installed the Spoon X-Brace, Center Brace, and Rear Tie Bar (X-Brace is definitely a great value, amazing results, for very little investment/hassle).

Wanting to make the car more grip friendly, and being that I'm pondering tracking it, I went out and found a set of AP2V1 wheels which had only been driven on 1,500 miles. I wrapped them with Star Specs in a 225/255 size combo. At the same time I took the opportunity to install a Spoon baffled oil pan as a preventative measure, and went back to an OEM clutch as the ACT was too noisy for my liking.

New wheels & baffled pan:

I've now decided to attack the car's balance, handling, and responsiveness. I've ordered Spoon fixed dampers and progressive springs for CR like handling characteristics, OEM durability (thanks to Showa manufactured shocks), and a very modest drop (I don't like the idea of being "slammed"). I also just got the Spoon rigid collar kit, as well as front and back Spoon anti bump steer kits (rear bump steer kit made by Spoon is a roll center adjuster). Collars and bump steer kits arrived today, and I'm waiting for the dampers and springs to arrive so I can have all the parts installed together by West End Alignment (supposed to come in end of February).

What I've received so far:

I'm not quite sure where I'll go next. I like the OEM low key look I have now. The only things I'm considering are a 70mm throttle body, Amuse AP1 front lip, Mugen rear wing, and maybe switching exhausts for an Amuse Titan Extra-S (single).

I am thankful that I was able to find such a great car considering the S2000 is no longer produced, and plan on doing everything in my power to keep it true to its roots, and in pristine condition.

Thank you for taking the time to read. I'll post some more pictures of the car in its current state this weekend, and will post updates as I go along.

Update 2/4/12:

Dyno chart added below for reference. Base line was previous tune, had the firmware of EMS updated (it was acting funky) and did some fine tuning. All tuning was done by Sean Church, readings are at the hubs.
[attachment=15694yno Chart.JPG]

Update 3/5/12:

After having had repeated issues with coil pack failures, random misfires, and general bad behavior with the AEM Series 2 EMS, I've decided to go K-Pro (what I should have done in the first place). Had Church Automotive Testing do the K series sensor conversions, install the K-Pro, and tune it. I spent the whole day there with them, very professionally and meticulously done. We actually had some gains on the peak numbers (marginal, but still better) at 173lbft of torque, and 256hp on a Dyanpack. What was interesting was pretty serious mid range gains especially on the torque curve which is attributed to additional tuning flexibility of the K-Pro (and I believe better handling of Vtec transition). We gained about 15lbft 4,200 & 5,200 RPM. New dyno chart attached for reference. Outside temperature was about 75 degrees, and fairly dry weather (similar to climate during last AEM tune). Blue line on dyno graph is my last tune on AEM EMS, so this is a direct comparison. No other part on the vehicle was changed.

[attachment=17482yno Chart K-Pro 3-4-12.pdf]

I'm still waiting on my Spoon dampers and springs which have now been pushed back to mid/late March arrival. As soon as I get them on I'll do a proper photo shoot of the car.
Attached Thumbnails Simple and Functional AP1 Build-dyno-chart.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dyno Chart K-Pro 3-4-12.pdf (687.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very detailed, keep up the good work!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 PM

Update 4/4/12:

I had the pleasure of picking up my car from the body shop today with the new ASM hood having been painted and installed. The new J's 60RS exhaust was also installed during its stay at the shop. I'm very pleased with the final result. The ASM hood is very well built, and fits perfectly. It really has the more subtle tone I was looking for (opposed to the "busyness" of other aftermarket hoods).

In comparison the sound of J's 60RS makes my Fujitsubo Legalis-R almost sound hybrid like. It's not CRAZY loud, but it's not quiet either. Luckily the sound is very aggressive, and not raspy. Having saved 35 pounds, and gotten the slightly more aggressive sound/look, I'm pleased with the result. I must admit that it does have some drone, but not as bad as other system's I've experienced on my previous cars.

I was just informed today my Spoon suspension has finally arrived. Will be picking it up tomorrow. Next Tuesday I'm having the dampers, springs, rear bump steer/roll center adjusters, front bump steer kit, drive shaft spacers, and rigid collar installed (all parts Spoon). Looking forward to what I hope will be vastly improved handling characteristics, as well as the improved aesthetics the 1" drop will bring.

About a week behind that is my Mugen SS wing which I'll have painted and installed shortly thereafter.

Thanks for looking!

Update 5-3-12:

I don't have any pictures as of yet. Just recently had West End install Spoon fixed dampers & progressive springs, front bump steer kit, rear roll center adjusters, rear toe arms, drive shaft spacers, and rigid collar (all parts Spoon).

The result cannot be described with words. It's simply amazing. The ride is very mature, ever so slightly more aggressive than CR suspension, with valving and spring rates just as meticulously chosen to work in harmony. No harsh vibrations or unwanted "road static". Combined with the rigid collar and various other parts it makes for an incredible feel. Drop is only 1", which is exactly what I wanted.

I'll take some good picture soon. Just waiting to install the Mugen SS wing which is being painted now. I'm having the wing's base aluminum pieces blasted so that the surface will be smooth, then I'm having them black anodized (as Mugen's finish on the stands could be better). I'm hoping it all comes out nicely.

Couple of suspension shots:

Car as it sits today 7/23/12 w/ Mugen SS Wing Installed:

Major update 8/17/12:

Picked up the car today from Church Automotive Tuning. Kraftwerks high boost kit now installed w/ Church custome designed intake. Intake was designed to keep IAT low, and prevent the silicone hose from melting from the heat radiating from the Toda Racing Header which protrudes further than the OEM exhaust manifold.

Also had ACT pressure plate with Toda Race disk installed to handle the extra power. Clutch is firmer, but no chatter or buzz. Working perfectly so far.

Results were fantastic. Car could have made 10 more horsepower but Shawn chose to be conservative and regart some timing while running rich to make sure the car would be bulletproof, even on hot track days. Even while being conservative, Shawn was able to extract great results (Dyno plot below). Base line pulls were on my car with its maxed out NA set up (already far above stock). Running 1,300cc Beach injectors with an upgraded Walbro fuel pump to prepare for E85 should I decide to go that way in the future. Current results on 91 octane are 390whp and 250wtq.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

i love it! WHo was the shop responsible for the botched job? Did they front the costs? I would have absolutely blown my top if they looked over something as simple as proper torque specs. 8300 miles too!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Major update 2/3/13:

Car is now running the Mugen AP1 Titanium exhaust (perfect sound level/quality). Now running smaller custom pulley and E85 (14PSI of boost). Car is making 481hp and 300lb/ft of torque on Dynapack (will post dyno plot shortly, don't have it with me). This supercharger set up is amazing. Power delivery is so linear the car can actually put the power to the ground. Very usable, no lag, or other downsides typically associated with turbo/FI.

I'm very thankful for all the help and guidance I've had from Shawn Church and Ryan Zamora. With their extensive experience it's made what could have been a painful process relatively easy.

Some recent pics below:

Old 01-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkonis
I don't want to spread any ill will towards any shop. I've known them for a long time, and it was an accident which can happen to anyone (although costly). I do blame him for juggling too many jobs at the same time...

As he was doing the repairs he was explaining how he fought with his wife for having let their insurance coverage lapse. I ended up picking up the majority of the costs as they did not have the wherewithal to handle it on their own...
wow dude, a shop should be 100% responsible for something like that. Thats completely unacceptable. I just want to make sure I dont go to this shop thats all.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 PM

He would have wanted to try and repair the old block, and do everything the "most cost effective way" which is something I wouldn't settle for given my goals.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build. Props on the quality of the parts.

If you decide to switch exhaust, I'll take the Fujitsubo.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Very nice dude

Props for buying a brand new Honda block, that's ultimate low miles good luck with the rest of the build!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 PM

great job

Quick Reply: Simple and Functional AP1 Build