Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

There and Back Again. Round Two: 2005 NFR

Old 03-07-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Basic OEM+ build: 2005 NFR

Hello S2KI!

My name is Brian and I figured I should make a build thread even though this will be an incredibly slow and minor “build.” I have always enjoyed keeping track of the things I have done or just having a photo log so here we are.

This will actually be my third round in an S2000. I initially had a 2000 Silverstone back in 2014. Had that for about a year and a half then had the opportunity to pick up what I always wanted, a 2005 NFR. After about a year of ownership with the AP2, I started toying with the idea of selling to move onto a new platform. I was driving it as a daily and was having difficulties comfort wise, particularly with my back. I was also living in an apartment with limited space and parking. Several factors added up that made it seem like getting a newer, more comfortable car a good idea. I never truly wanted to sell my S2000, but winter’s remorse definitely hit me hard. I parted out my NFR, sold it to my brother’s friend (moomoopanda on S2KI), and ended up buying a new 2017 Subaru BRZ. I wanted a similar car, but with a bit more room and more comfort as a daily driver. The BRZ is a fun car, similar to an AP2, but not quite the same in terms of drivability. It’s definitely the closest you can get at a sub-$30k price point nowadays though.

For reference, this is how she looked before the ensuing part out:

A year of BRZ ownership flies by and the car has treated me quite well as a daily driver, but a lot has changed. I now have the space and opportunity, as I moved into a home with a large garage, to have both a fun car plus a daily driver. I shot a message over to moomoopanda inquiring about his long-term plans with the S2000 because I was interested in buying it back if he ever decided to sell. At this point, I wasn’t too serious, but just gauging interest for the future. He initially let me know he wasn’t planning on selling the car at least until the summer. He also didn’t expect me to message him about the car, but I guess in doing so, that jump started his future plans to sell and move to a new platform. This all happened pretty quickly, but I couldn’t pass up on the opportunity to get back into the car that I have missed since I sold it a year ago.

Flash to this past Saturday, 3/3/18 and I’ve got her back in my possession. I sold it last year at stock form exterior wise, but it has come to me now with a few parts added or changed.

Current Mod List
  • OEM NFR Hard Top
  • CR Lip with shaved bumper
  • JDP Engineering Single Exit CF Rear Diffuser
  • Custom single exit UK mod stock exhaust
  • J’s RCAs
  • Ballade TCT
  • Top Secret Aragosta Coilovers w/Swift Springs
  • 17x9+45 SBC RPF1 with 245/40 RE-71R
  • Berk Test Pipe
  • Gutted Soft Top
Future Plans
  • EVS Tuning 70ssp Exhaust
  • New suspension
  • CR Wing
I won’t be able to do much modding or making changes within next year or so, but for now, I’m just going to enjoy being back in the S2000 scene.

Last edited by Breyeun; 07-23-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dam. That looks great!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved that car and will miss seeing it on instagram all the time lol. Keep the wheels dont put rpf1 on.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by SlickRed
Dam. That looks great!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by soupbraa
I loved that car and will miss seeing it on instagram all the time lol. Keep the wheels dont put rpf1 on.
Possibly. I'd like the car to be different so it's not still associated with the previous owner. I also had concave bronze CE28 the last time I owned the car so I'm not really looking to go with that look. RPF1s would just be an inexpensive possibility. It's likely wheels won't change for a good amount of time.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

If it ain't potato it ain't tomato.

but yeah, keep the CE28N. RPF1 are lame.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you ever drive down to Miami I got an oem ap2 nfr bumper and white regamaster evos to trade! Haha!

Car looks great, congrats on getting it back!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ap2low
If you ever drive down to Miami I got an oem ap2 nfr bumper and white regamaster evos to trade! Haha!

Car looks great, congrats on getting it back!
Haha if Miami wasn't literally the farthest city in the U.S. from me, I would make the trek.

Thanks man! I love your car and actually just re-read your build thread.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:47 PM

3/13/18 - New Wheels, Tires, and little tidbits

I previously said a different set of wheels and tires possibly wouldn't happen for awhile, but I guess the keyword there is "possibly" My brother had let me know that if I were to part with the CE28N, he would love them as he had missed having CEs on his S2000. That, along with a deal I couldn't pass up, has led me to purchasing a brand new set of wheels and tires.

I didn't want to break my wallet since I obviously just got the car so with the combination of taking advantage of a certain sale, I went with:

Enkei RPF1 17x9+45 in SBC. It's a tried and true set up and inexpensive. I love the look of SBC on an NFR car and I think it will go well with my OEM look. I haven't actually mounted the wheels yet as I received tires later (mounting tires to wheels tonight! 3/22), but I should have them on over the weekend. Not much to say about these, they're brand new and well known.

I ordered these on a Friday and they arrived on Monday, to my surprise. Good surprise!

Not typically a big chrome finish fan, but I really like SBC

Bridgestone RE71R 245/40/17. I have previously had Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs and Hankook RS3 so I figured it was time to try out the last of the most common trifecta for summer tires, the RE71R. There was a great deal recently so I knew I couldn't pass up the chance at trying these tires out.

Rushed home during work to put these away because they also came sooner than the shipping tracking stated!

I also got a trunk spoiler to put on as well as these flat amber sidemarkers to put on the car, but they came missing a piece on it so I'll have to wait for replacements.

I also still had my Modifry phone mount and my good buddy gave me this Civic Type R shift knob. Really dig the red engraving look, but would love it more if the knob was a bit heavier.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:51 PM

3/23/18 - SBC RPF1 w/RE71R installed, ride height raised, little get-together

After some slacking, I finally got the wheels and tires mounted by the local go-to. Really pleased with the look of the car and the tires, in my brief amount of driving (maybe 100 miles...?) has felt great. I don't understand how people can drive a slammed car. I raised the car about 0.75" all around and it feels so much better. Do need to dial it in a little bit more and get a new alignment (doing so on 4/8), but I'm pleased with the changes. I couldn't find my black lug nuts so these open ended Muteki red ones will have to do for now. I'd prefer black closed ended, but I'm in no rush to swap them.

The day after, I got together with some good local buddies for some lunch. It's nice to be back with the S2000 squad with an actual S2000.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM

7/17/18 Standard Maintenance, Windshield Tape, AP2 Rear Bumper w/JDP Engineering Rear Diffuser

It has been awhile since I have updated. In that past four months or so, I haven't done too much with the car, but did do some things that I wanted to prioritize. The first of which was to do some standard maintenance and change fluids. I changed the engine oil, differential fluid, and transmission fluid. Still need to do a coolant flush, brake fluid, and clutch fluid. It's a good feeling driving the car after new fluid is put in.

One of the main changes I wanted to make was to replace the windshield tape and go back to the OEM black. I think having it paint matched doesn't really look too good even with a hard top, particularly with red. The black tape offsets all of the red and provides a nice bit of contrast. I also think it looks terrible when the soft top is up or the car is top down. To replace it, I purchased some gloss black vinyl wrap and re-wrapped it. To be honest, I did a shoddy, somewhat poor job so I will have to eventually re-do it. In the meantime, it's okay for now and I'm glad it is back to black.

The next change I made was something I have been wanting to do since I bought the car back. The car came with an AP1 rear bumper in piss-poor condition (paint faded and not even close to NFR, scratches, little dings, bottom AP1 cap was painted red) so I wanted to get an AP2 rear desperately. The person that had my OEM one had it re-painted to a different color so that sucked. After failed attempts at finding an AP2 rear in decent condition (I wouldn't have minded any color since I was going to re-paint), I almost went through with re-painting this AP1 rear even though I wanted the AP2 look. Fortunately before this happened, a local NFR guy let me know he would be parting ways with his AP2 rear and actually wanted my AP1 even in the condition it was. The "problem" was that it had a JDP engineering rear diffuser drilled into it so it had holes. So if I wanted the bumper, I would need to take the diffuser too. To my luck, the JDP rear diffuser is my favorite rear diffuser and I had always eventually wanted to get one. He let me know that it would just be a straight swap for the bumpers and I couldn't be any happier. I really appreciate local S2000 guys in the community that keep parts local and are willing to make great deals or help out others. Big shoutout to Chris aka little smokie for the bumper! The only "downside" was that it was a single-exit diffuser. I was actually literally about to also pull the trigger on my buddy's Greddy SE V2 that was near mint condition, but I had to change up that plan and don't mind staying with a single-exit exhaust. After installing the bumper, I also installed a Rick's badge I purchased a couple of months ago too.

(the tab wasn't installed in this pic, hence it being a little off)

Next tasks to do will be to get new suspension that I've had in mind, finish replacing fluids, and possibly replace pads and rotors. Thankfully the weather here in Washington has been amazing!

Quick Reply: There and Back Again. Round Two: 2005 NFR