Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

vishaalidoiswin's Silverstone AP1 [Timeline]

Old 02-25-2019, 12:28 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

MrSexy is probably the best on the west coast...I've begged him to come east, lol. I ended up getting the Hardrace spacers and offset camber joints/roll center adjusters per your recommendation, I just need to wait until spring over here. Love the TC105Ns. If I wasn't so adamant about not modding the car to fit wheels I'd have been running those for sure.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyle
MrSexy is probably the best on the west coast...I've begged him to come east, lol. I ended up getting the Hardrace spacers and offset camber joints/roll center adjusters per your recommendation, I just need to wait until spring over here. Love the TC105Ns. If I wasn't so adamant about not modding the car to fit wheels I'd have been running those for sure.
Yeah he definitely is! He's even had to fix up work done by other popular fender rollers/pullers in my area. He'll be in Miami in about a month but that's a 20 hour drive for you :/ Hopefully you can find what you're looking for over in your area! And yeah those Hardrace spacers and front RCAs are great, looks like you're over there hoarding a bunch of parts for the winter :P Excited to see your build come together! You've got great taste and a good modding approach.

I was reluctant to fender work at first too, but since I'm planning on keeping it for a long time, I'm comfortable making that sacrifice to get it set-up the way I want. Plus, I thought about how my car has lived a long stock life, and for some reason, that made me feel better about all these mods. I kinda feel like I'm adopting this car as my own for the rest of its life. Not really sure if that makes sense haha, but its a weird thought I had the other day :P
Old 02-27-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by vishaalidoiswin
Yeah he definitely is! He's even had to fix up work done by other popular fender rollers/pullers in my area. He'll be in Miami in about a month but that's a 20 hour drive for you :/ Hopefully you can find what you're looking for over in your area! And yeah those Hardrace spacers and front RCAs are great, looks like you're over there hoarding a bunch of parts for the winter :P Excited to see your build come together! You've got great taste and a good modding approach.

I was reluctant to fender work at first too, but since I'm planning on keeping it for a long time, I'm comfortable making that sacrifice to get it set-up the way I want. Plus, I thought about how my car has lived a long stock life, and for some reason, that made me feel better about all these mods. I kinda feel like I'm adopting this car as my own for the rest of its life. Not really sure if that makes sense haha, but its a weird thought I had the other day :P
Haha yeah I just posted on insta and he told me the same thing...I should've been more specific and told him the Northeast.....David really is the best. One of the main reasons I didn't want to do a roll is because of how delicate of a job it is on the s2k, but I also just wanted to preserve the car as much as possible, but I'm warming up to the idea of a roll up front and honestly if I thread the needle on fitment (nice one S2000Junky) and end up trashing a fender it will have all been for nothing anyway.....I might just get 2 new OEM fenders for the purpose of rolling to be absolutely safe up front. Unfortunately one of them suffered the improper jacking location crush via the previous owner, so one of them needs replacement anyway...might as well do them both and roll them at this point. I like your way of thinking on the long-term ownership....I feel the same way.

Thanks for the kind words on my build. I'm putting a lot of effort and research into it to ensure I get everything done right. Also hoarding tools because I'm going to do all the work myself. If I'm spending this much money on the car I want to be able to install the parts I paid for too. Luckily I have access to a lift! Can't wait for this cold to break...I reckon in another 2 months the roads will be clear of salt and it will be warm enough to start hitting it hard. Not looking forward to the clutch job, but I'm very confident I can knock it out.

Keep up the good work on your car man, love the mod direction you've chosen. I dunno if you've mentioned it previous, but any plans for forced induction in the future?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:27 PM

Haha yeah I just posted on insta and he told me the same thing...I should've been more specific and told him the Northeast.....David really is the best. One of the main reasons I didn't want to do a roll is because of how delicate of a job it is on the s2k, but I also just wanted to preserve the car as much as possible, but I'm warming up to the idea of a roll up front and honestly if I thread the needle on fitment (nice one S2000Junky) and end up trashing a fender it will have all been for nothing anyway.....I might just get 2 new OEM fenders for the purpose of rolling to be absolutely safe up front. Unfortunately one of them suffered the improper jacking location crush via the previous owner, so one of them needs replacement anyway...might as well do them both and roll them at this point. I like your way of thinking on the long-term ownership....I feel the same way.

Thanks for the kind words on my build. I'm putting a lot of effort and research into it to ensure I get everything done right. Also hoarding tools because I'm going to do all the work myself. If I'm spending this much money on the car I want to be able to install the parts I paid for too. Luckily I have access to a lift! Can't wait for this cold to break...I reckon in another 2 months the roads will be clear of salt and it will be warm enough to start hitting it hard. Not looking forward to the clutch job, but I'm very confident I can knock it out.

Keep up the good work on your car man, love the mod direction you've chosen. I dunno if you've mentioned it previous, but any plans for forced induction in the future?
Aw I see, that's unfortunate news on your fender, and I hope it works out well! It's great that you're doing work yourself, I wish could do the same, but I'm lacking in a lot, from experience & confidence, to the proper equipment and space.
And nope, no FI plans for me :P I don't have anything against a FI'd s2k, but it's not what I want out of this car. I also have this weird belief that that FI on this platform almost necessarily requires widebody for a build to come together properly, which in my eyes, is like re-engineering the car altogether. It's super cool and interesting when it works out well though, I've seen some nice examples of that here.
I do plan on making the relevant mods to help the engine "breathe" better to achieve some moderate hp gains, that get that healthy F20C purr. It's astonishing how quiet this car is at idle, but I don't wanna make it loud for the sake of making more noise. I'm not one of those first-mod-exhaust folks :P
Old 03-16-2019, 09:37 PM

Quick update: Modifry windscreen mount + GoPro Head

Pretty straightforward & quick post, not much to say other than I'm happy with the quality of the part and the results after install! Not a huge fan of modifry-ing (hah) the extremely minimal AP1 interior, but the benefits of having a camera mounted from this angle far outweigh that. Hopefully the only other obtrusive interior mod may be a cupholder, although it's pretty fun telling having to tell my passenger they have no choice but to hold their drink when getting coffee or whatever.

This is what it looks like out of the box:

Modifry windscreen baseplate + GoPro Head

The perfectly aligned sticker was easy to remove. There is a bit of curvature, I did my best to capture that in the picture below. It's actually curved just a little bit more than necessary. I realized this when the windscreen screws were in loosely and the baseplate was resting on the glovebox in its mounting place. I noticed a small gap between the middle of the baseplate and the glovebox, while the front of the baseplate was touching the glovebox. As the windscreen screws were tightened, this gap decreased slowly and disappeared. I should have taken a picture, but hopefully that makes sense. If anything, this is for the better, as it sort of pushes the front of the baseplate down. This will have the effect of dampening vibrations, which there is much of in this AP1 interior :P

If only there was a way to mitigate that...

Curvature of Modifry windscreen baseplate

Here's what it looks like with the GoPro mounted. It's as seamless as I could ask for. The camera angle is perfect for reviewing where my inputs can be improved. Some of these things are only noticed from a third person POV after a run. Anyway, expect some o_O inspired videos in the near future! Probably won't be nearly as fast-paced and smooth as Andrew, but it may be interesting to watch. I'm actually not too far from his roads, but my videos will likely be on other roads which I'm more familiar with.

GoPro Hero 5 Black

I wiped the dust off my windscreen after taking this picture, my car's usually cleaner than you see on this thread haha
It's been top-down weather on here on the West Coast too, but some rain comin in next week. Anyway, have fun out there!

Last edited by vishaalidoiswin; 03-17-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:06 AM

Love the way your build is going! I'm also running a Silverstone AP1...but still working on my driver mod in stock trim. I still love the way the car handles in stock trim.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:43 PM

That mount is sweet. I'm getting that for sure.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:55 AM

That mount is sweet. I'm getting that for sure.
Yeah I'm loving it! I'm looking into other camera angles as well. Pretty sure I'll get a headstrap soon too. And maybe something
like this like this
to get lower angle shots. Can't seem to find one for the s2k at a good price though, although I haven't searched around much. Maybe I'll put something together myself, ultimately it's just a couple screws that need to be joined together properly.

Originally Posted by awaxx
Love the way your build is going! I'm also running a Silverstone AP1...but still working on my driver mod in stock trim. I still love the way the car handles in stock trim.
Thanks! Driver is always #1, but no reason the two can't progress in parallel
Old 03-22-2019, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by vishaalidoiswin
Yeah I'm loving it! I'm looking into other camera angles as well. Pretty sure I'll get a headstrap soon too. And maybe something like this to get lower angle shots. Can't seem to find one for the s2k at a good price though, although I haven't searched around much. Maybe I'll put something together myself, ultimately it's just a couple screws that need to be joined together properly.
Ordered myself one and it's on the way. Is there any kind of padding or insulation on the bottom of the plate? I'm not too keen on it rubbing against my plastic cover if it's going to be sitting right on top of it, even if it does follow the contour proper. I might get a thin adhesive rubber/felt sheet and cut it to fit on the bottom.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Ordered myself one and it's on the way. Is there any kind of padding or insulation on the bottom of the plate? I'm not too keen on it rubbing against my plastic cover if it's going to be sitting right on top of it, even if it does follow the contour proper. I might get a thin adhesive rubber/felt sheet and cut it to fit on the bottom.
Nope no padding on the bottom, it's the same material throughout. A layer of something soft between the glovebox and the mount would be a good idea, in fact, the instructions actually state to do exactly that. I was worried about this as well too, but I doubt it'll be moving at all relative to the glovebox, so it's really just the edges of the bottom of the baseplate that might be an issue. I'll take it off after a couple weeks and add padding if there's any sign of wear on the glovebox, hopefully it's not too late by then D:
The following users liked this post:
Kyle (03-23-2019)

Quick Reply: vishaalidoiswin's Silverstone AP1 [Timeline]