Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is this as good a deal as it sounds?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this as good a deal as it sounds?

I've been looking for a sport bike for a long time, and I have a very difficult time finding anything around here that falls into my price range. A quick search of Craigslist brought up this bike. The mileage seems just a tad high for a bike, and it's going to need all new plastic at the very least. For the price, though, as long as it runs good (which the seller claims it does) I'd think it'd be a pretty good deal. It's about an 8 hour drive for me to go get the bike if I do, so going just to take a cursory glance is unfortunately not an option. I've sourced full plastic for the bike at roughly $800. Do you think I should pull the trigger on it, and if I do, what would be my cheapest option for getting new plastic on it?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Doesn't sound good. Kelly Blue Book says a good 2000 CBR600 F4 from a dealer is $2990. That tells me you could get one from a private party for less than $2500. If you buy this one, you are into it for $2300 with new plastics. Who knows what else is wrong with it. I think you could buy a nice rideable bike for less than this will ultimately cost you.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 PM

Thats a far drive to get a bike.......... I would shell out a little more money for a newer bike or one thats fuel injected.

It would be a good deal as long if.........

there is no rust
the frame is straight (which I would take to a mechanic to get laser aligned if possible). The frame could be tweaked a little from laying it down.
maintenance is up to date oil, tranny, carbs are rejetted, though you might have to rejet again anyways.
condition of tires are okay.
title is clear.

Is this your first bike? I'm assuming it is. If it is, I wouldn't bother replacing the plastics because more then likely you will accidentally drop or lay down the bike.

is your goal to have a bike to learn on and then sell it?
or do you want to keep it for awhile?

its definitely a good bike to learn on.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by tpc01x,Mar 3 2010, 10:23 PM
Thats a far drive to get a bike.......... I would shell out a little more money for a newer bike or one thats fuel injected.

It would be a good deal as long if.........

there is no rust
the frame is straight (which I would take to a mechanic to get laser aligned if possible). The frame could be tweaked a little from laying it down.
maintenance is up to date oil, tranny, carbs are rejetted, though you might have to rejet again anyways.
condition of tires are okay.
title is clear.

Is this your first bike? I'm assuming it is. If it is, I wouldn't bother replacing the plastics because more then likely you will accidentally drop or lay down the bike.

is your goal to have a bike to learn on and then sell it?
or do you want to keep it for awhile?

its definitely a good bike to learn on.
Yeah, it is a pretty long drive... unfortunately, I'm expecting a long drive to find a good bike, as they are few and far between around here and the ones that are for sale have a bad tendency to be horribly overpriced. I'm used to driving a good distance to get what I want, so as long as I can get a friend to go along with me and get a good excuse to make a mini-vacation out of the trip to get the bike, I can justify the driving distance.

If I could find an F4i for $2500ish that's in presentable condition and isn't too far away, I'd seriously consider buying it. I'm still looking, and I'd definitely prefer buying a bike that needs nothing to be roadworthy. I'm waiting for a reply to the e-mail I sent to the owner of the F4 that I posted above, but I'd bet that he'd sell for quite a bit less than what he's asking, so I might not get quite as deep into it as I would if I spent the money on a bike in better condition.

This is my first street bike, but I've been riding dirt bikes for a few years. Dirt bikes don't teach a lot with regard to proper street riding position and cornering (in fact I'd wager that what I've learned about cornering in the dirt would hinder what would seem like a natural cornering method on the street), but with regard to maintenance, they do offer a lot. I don't mind having to tinker with a carburetor, and although I'd prefer fuel injection, I don't really want to pay extra for it.

I'm not trying to talk myself into this particular bike, I'm just thinking about it out loud. Between lack of availability here and the fact that I'm on a pretty tight budget, my options are very limited, so if anyone can help me find a sport bike that's ready to go for $2500 or less, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM

I have an F4i and it has been great, if you know how to ride a dirtbike already it would be a good first streetbike. But you are right, dirtbikes and streetbikes are very different in many ways.

Plastics are expensive as you know,and if a bikes been down hard, you may want to look elsewhere. I would pay a little more for a good clean bike rather than one that was beat up needing work, sportbikes lead a very hard life.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:52 PM

My buddy just ordered full plastics (painted) from China for like $350. Not sure of the quality but will get the info if you like. They look nice...
Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 PM
NGR

Originally Posted by '08S2K,Apr 16 2010, 12:52 PM
My buddy just ordered full plastics (painted) from China for like $350. Not sure of the quality but will get the info if you like. They look nice...
I have a set of ebay plastics on my 07 cbr600rr. Lets just say great for the price but you cant beat OEM. Had some minor fit issues but the 07 fairings are a crappy design anyway.

But just to tidy up the bike for daily use... good for the price and I think F4i kits would be better

OEM: $3000 AUD

Ebay: $750 AUD

Rather spend the extra $2250 AUD on my s2k