California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Bay Area S2k dealers, prices--need info

Old 01-15-2001, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same experience trying to buy in the SF Bay Area (quoted $5K to $14K (at Hayward!) over MSRP). Finally bought at $3K over from Kastner Honda in Napa. They had to order the car, but I got exactly what I wanted (silver and red) when they estimated I would get it. I found Don Mitchell absolutely straight with me - an interesting change!
Old 01-15-2001, 07:38 PM

I was set on Silver/Black and got on the list at Stevens Creek Honda in December. I was also willing to get into a car somewhat quickly, which I knew was going to cost me some extra bucks. They told me I was 2 back on the list and that my car was coming in mid-late February. Then about 1 week after Christmas I got a call from them. They said the guy in front of me passed on his option to buy the Silver/Black that was earmarked for him and that it was now mine. I was dealing with the fleet manager.

My refundable deposit for $500 locked me into that car at $5K over if I wanted it. So, I then went to Sunnyvale-Hopkins Honda. Whooaaaahhhh, they had one on the FLOOR -- Silver/Black, for $7500 over. So, I told them my situation and they said 'make an offer'.

To make a long story short, I talked with Stevens Creek and Hopkins on the phone for about 1/2 hour each. Got them both down to $4K over. Then, in a fit of desperation, the sales mgr at Hopkins put in a factory alarm system for free. Deal was then done.

It took Hopkins about 12hours to get a part for the alarm, detail the car, and then a sales rep came to my house and picked me up [in a used Accord] and brought me back to pick up my car.

I found the fleet manager at Stevens Creek to be a bit to 'sales-like' and pushy. This is one reason why I opted for Hopkins. I wrote a check for this car and one of the Stevens Creek lackey assistant fleet guys told me that they were still going to run a credit check on me, and they wanted my Social #. They told me that this was company policy. I got really ticked off and told them that the Porsche dealer [I was on the list to get a Boxster S -- yeah, yeah, I know, this is a different story...] didn't have that requirement. That shut him up. I was still irked.

Hopkins just took my check, no questions asked, and surprisingly, IT CLEARED!!!!!!!!

One last thing... the Silver Black that was just delivered to Stevens Creek had some damage to the rear bumper during shipment and they weren't going to be able to have the car available for a few additional days because it was at the body shop getting a new rear bumper!!! this was another red flag for me. But they sure helped me get a better price at Hopkins.

My $.02,
-Darin
Old 01-15-2001, 07:59 PM

I bought mine in South Dakota and last I heard they had a white 2001 S2K for sale at sticker.. Cost me $800 to ship it and they were nothing but professional.. Let me know if you are interested...
Old 01-15-2001, 09:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, kerplunk, what is your location? If you are from CA how did you work that one?? Over 7500 miles or CARB certified from the Dakota's?? Just got an e-mail tonight from a long-forgotten dealer somewhere or other who I e-mailed last October.... a Silver/Red 2001 is available. Don't know where or for what price, figured a new one from out-of-state is a no-no.
Old 01-16-2001, 08:28 AM
ST

I searched long and hard for mine (after deciding to get it as an XMAS present for myself). In a nutshell:

- Anderson Honda was very discurteous and would not budge on their asking price of $37K and that was for a used one! New ones were going for $39K

- Capital Honda was not willing to negotiate either but treated me rather nice. Asking price was $39K with accessories

- Stevens Creek Honda was able to come down somewhat but it was still around $38K

- Hopkins Honda are just jerks period. $40K no questions asked!

- Autowest Honda are pricks who dont understand the market asking for $42k!!!

After almost giving up, I was directed towards Val Strough Honda down in Seaside area. They had a silver/black on the showroom floor and their fleet manager was able to price it down to $34K, delivered to my doorsteps too!!! Needless to say I jumped on it really quick! Never looked back!

BTW> Interestingly enough, Anderson Honda later on sent me an email advertising that they were letting new S2K's go for $34.9K with a "one day special" sale. PRicks, I swear! Oh well
Old 01-16-2001, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by ST

After almost giving up, I was directed towards Val Strough Honda down in Seaside area. They had a silver/black on the showroom floor and their fleet manager was able to price it down to $34K, delivered to my doorsteps too!!! Needless to say I jumped on it really quick! Never looked back!

WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE PERSON YOU DEALT WITH AT VAL STROUGH?

BTW> Interestingly enough, Anderson Honda later on sent me an email advertising that they were letting new S2K's go for $34.9K with a "one day special" sale. PRicks, I swear! Oh well [/B]
I got the same e-mail--too late and they said it was a one-day sale price.
BTW, our initials are the same, apparently (I'm SJT).
Old 01-16-2001, 02:52 PM
ST

Well, I'm SLT

And also laying claim to STwoK

Originally posted by StanTheMan

I got the same e-mail--too late and they said it was a one-day sale price.
BTW, our initials are the same, apparently (I'm SJT). [/B]
Old 01-16-2001, 04:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob Moss
a Silver/Red 2001 is available.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:47 PM

Stan,
Last Spring I kept a speadsheet with all the bay area, Sacto and surrounding dealers- took down who had what car in stock, coming in and when, etc. Called OR, WA, NV, AZ, and ID dealers- multiple in each state. Ended up flying to SD and buying from Cush (35k-stock)I can send you further info if you email me. Had a bad experience with the dealer in Santa Rosa and a horrible experience with a dealer in Pasadena. All the folks at Cush were straightforward with me. Keep trying and shop around. Good luck!
Don
Old 01-16-2001, 06:12 PM

Check out the email I just got from Brighton Honda (dont know where that is):

Subject: Honda S2000
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:24:13 -0800
Add Addresses

If you are still in the market for a new 2001 Honda S2000, I have them
internet priced at $300 UNDER STICKER. Please contact David Greenwood
in the internet department at 810-227-5552 if interested. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bay Area S2k dealers, prices--need info