California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Can anyone here teach how to ride

Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like we have a quite a few riders here! thanks for the input guys.

currently i don't have car any more so i cannot go to Santa Clara. thanks very much for the offer bro.

the only reason i was in a hurry is because i can't keep walking and taking bus to work, and i have been late for many times which is too frustrating.

thanks again, i will figure something out.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the MSF course and was glad I did. I learned things that are not so obvious and would have taken time to figure out on my own. The bay area isn't the best place to learn how to ride in traffic.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely take the course. Yes, you'll hear a lot from riders recommend to start with a smaller bike then work your way up. And its more than likely you'll get bored of it quick. Fact the matter is to get comfortable with the bike and riding! Best of luck.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

MSF will teach you the basics, but after taking the class make sure you listen to other riders and particularly the fast guys. They'll usually show you stuff thats completely against what was taught in MSF. A lot of it is dependent on situation and rider's skillset. Just make sure after completing MSF (or whatever you do to get your M1) that you leave your ego at the door. I started on a 600cc hypersport (R6) and thought it was fine. I then went to an R1 and realized the finesse I had loss of being able to toss the bike into a corner and use the throttle to steer. After that and until yesterday I had another 600cc (08GSXR 600) and it was only after this bike that I realized how ass-backwards my ego had led my learning curve. You may get bored on a 250cc ninja, but those boring strolls are the infinite repetitions of proper riding technique that will produce good habits. Those good habits will make the difference between pulling out of a turn after the rear tire steps out a bit, or binning your bike because you panic'd and grabbed a handful of brake while midcorner. There's always time to get a new bike after you developed the necessary skills, but the people who wreck hard don't always have that option..

Just my 2 cents as someone who's binned a bike or two in the past couple years... haha Oh yeah even after my hard down and a handful of pants-shitting close calls, I still wouldn't trade riding for anything in the world...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 PM

having taken the MSF course, i can tell you there are things in there that you will learn and not forget

though people may say that it isnt really helpful, MSF teaches and ENGRAVES in you, simple things like looking where you wanna go and how to do figure 8s.

if i could only take a few things from the MSF class that really stuck with me, its those, and getting up outta ur seat (like a dirt biker) when you go over something large (they make u run over 2x4's lol)

if ure under 18, its cheaper but a hundred+ dollars.

and to those who say dont get a sport bike as your first, dont listen to them. ride a 250 AND a 600+ and then you determine for YOURSELF what you can handle.

for example, im 6 feet tall @ 190 lbs, theres no way im riding a 250 for 2 reasons: not enough HP to get me around, and ill look like a clown. as such, i settled on a daytona 650 as my first bike. Now on a daytona 675, i dont ever look back and regret my decision.

Oh, please watch keith codes video on riding movie "twist of the wrist 2". you wont regret it.

tl;dr: take MSF, try out diff bikes to get a taste of things, watch "twist of the wrist 2"
Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Hey thanks for the inputs guys, they are very helpful

well, learning a riding bike wasn't as hard as i thought(i used to ride a big scooter LOL). it took me a couple of hours to get me on the streets. I bought a 05 R6, i really enjoy it.

I'm have been riding through the mountains lately and I'm still learning how to take those sharp turns nicely and steadily.

thanks to all the riders here, and hope to do a group ride someday.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the test at DMV on my 92 GSXR750 because I like challenges I can't say it was easy but I did do it.

My first bike was a 78 KZ1000 LTD similar to the pic below.

My last bike at BW with Sandy going over lost hills.

The only thing I have for you is never stop paying attention to your surroundings, if you do it could possibly be the end of you. When you're on your bike at a light, on the freeway, in a parking lot, always pay attention, it's not the other persons fault if you're not paying attention because it takes two to tango.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by macr88
The only thing I have for you is never stop paying attention to your surroundings, if you do it could possibly be the end of you. When you're on your bike at a light, on the freeway, in a parking lot, always pay attention, it's not the other persons fault if you're not paying attention because it takes two to tango.
Thanks Marc, good advice!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by macr88
My last bike at BW with Sandy going over lost hills.

This is so cool Mac! I always find it inspiring to see a couple get in to hobbies like motorsports & the related; its a nice feeling to know you can share your passions & fun activities with your significant other & theyre not just there because you are but because they want to be!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by cpaforever
Hey thanks for the inputs guys, they are very helpful

well, learning a riding bike wasn't as hard as i thought(i used to ride a big scooter LOL). it took me a couple of hours to get me on the streets. I bought a 05 R6, i really enjoy it.

I'm have been riding through the mountains lately and I'm still learning how to take those sharp turns nicely and steadily.

thanks to all the riders here, and hope to do a group ride someday.

if you are down, pm me, a couple of my friends and i are going to the twisties tomo @ 12:30