California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

got first speeding ticket (22350), what to do?

Old 04-06-2004, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got first speeding ticket (22350), what to do?

man, i got a speeding ticket, but i think it was unfair and innaccurate! the cop said he clocked me at 62 at a 45, and i ask him where he clocked me at that high, and he said at the beginning of the road (its a long road). but, he used a laser gun, and from my knowledge, there's no way he could've measured me unless the laser curved! but, i did some research, and i found out that most cops will lie, and say they measured correctly, and that you were the onnly car on the road (which i was not! i was driving at 3pm w/ a bunch of cars).

so now, what should i do? i have a couple of Q's after doing some minor research

what's the "speed trap" laws that can help me?
what is the traffic survey (the one that if they dont' have updated, i can get dismissed)
what kind of defense should i come up w/, if i have to go to trial in person (i will try to do a declaration written version first)? its a consensus that cops always lie since they can't remember anything, should i fight fire w/ fire?
any other "tricks?"

this is also my first violation. somebody told me that i should just pay the fine and do traffic school. but, i read my violation (22350 for "unsafe" speed) is the most common traffic violation, and of the few 3% of cases that lead to contest, almost all get dropped. what should i do? i'm 20, and i don't want my insurance go to up, cuz i was just saving up for a s2000 (it won't be nice for me being under 25 and trying to find sports car insurance w/ a speeding ticket...)
Old 04-06-2004, 10:22 PM

www.ticketassassin.com
Old 04-06-2004, 10:58 PM

So I believe if you contest the ticket you CANNOT go to traffic school, either you win or you lose.

Unless you have a good lawyer you have probably a zero percent chance of proving the cop lied. You have to prove that he lied about something else, therefor calling his entire testimony in question. This is not something the average person is going to be able to do

As much as it may stink, the safest simplest route is to pay the ticket and go to traffic shool. You were speeding and you got caught, consider it a lesson learned.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:44 PM

Not guilty your honor.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

consult with a lawyer. if he/she feels he/she has an excellent chance of getting you out of it, then pay the lawyer to take your case. otherwise, just pay the ticket, go to traffic school, buy a valentine one, and be extra careful for the next 18 months. i would absolutely not contest this ticket unless you have a lawyer by your side, because you are taking a big chance.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by S2KHardTop
www.ticketassassin.com
hahah that shit doesnt work. ive tried. twice.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by S2KHardTop
www.ticketassassin.com

It works.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by CrazyPhuD
So I believe if you contest the ticket you CANNOT go to traffic school, either you win or you lose.
"If you are found guilty, a fine taken from your bail may be imposed. Your bail is usually equivalent to the maximum legal fine for the charge. This fine may be reduced or suspended at the court's discretion. The judge may also assign you to complete a DMV approved Traffic Violator School. When you provide proof of completing traffic school, the court will set aside your conviction and no violation point will be reported to the DMV."

does contesting decrease chance of traffic school? my friend contested and lost, then he went to traffic school
Old 04-07-2004, 12:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shiaochiu
Old 04-07-2004, 06:53 PM

i dont remember paying anything but i did the written appeal method..

Quick Reply: got first speeding ticket (22350), what to do?