California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Gran Toursimo 4 wheel for Ps2

Old 02-10-2004, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gran Toursimo 4 wheel for Ps2

I just got it yesterday, although GT4 was delayed the wheel came out ontime and works with GT3, Burnout 2, Midnight Club 2, and Need for Speed Underground (I believe it works on more but those are ones listed by logitech).

Quick review - If you're into Gran toursimo the wheel is worth it

4.5/5.

Keeping it short and sweet cus I'm off to go play now
Old 02-10-2004, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when playing GT3, the steering ratio actually adjusts so you can use the full 900 degrees of rotation lock to lock? Also, what's the official release date for GT4?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:22 PM

GT4 is pushed to June... or July... somewhere like that, not because of production but they didn't want it to conflict with other games *shrug*.

The wheel does move 900 degrees but the turning radius is based on software and hardware. Whats this mean? Games other than GT4 only have wheel turn of 200 degrees (the usual). But still I'm very impressed with the wheel. I've decided to go all over the game again and get gold in all license tests. I got to last run of B license and got royally screwed. Tried for 2+ hours nonstop, and I was .005 off >_<!!!

The feedback takes a little getting used to but I like it now that I'm used to it. The wheel is GREAT for drifting
Old 02-10-2004, 07:42 PM

waitting..........
Old 02-10-2004, 07:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Cali ain't Virginie...but I'm curious to know what you paid for it on the West Coast? Looking forward to this wheel (Aaaaaand GT4 ).

Thanks for the post. Feed us more when you have the chance .

- Dave
Old 02-12-2004, 04:20 PM

where can u buy it?!
Old 02-12-2004, 06:36 PM

I got it from a chain called Game Stop but EB should have it. $149.99 before tax (ended up 163 something in cali).

My one complaint is that the pedals should have had more weight on them, when I slam the brake before a turn the platform will sometimes jump up a but (granted I hit the brake at kicking force )

Since non cali folks seem interested I'll take some digi pics tommorow and post up a full review.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you suggesting that the pedal base is...or is not...similarly light as the previous Logitech iteration for the GT wheel? Always hated that the GT Force pedals were so light and would skate away from your feet .

Hoping the GT4 pedals are a little less...wandering?

- Dave

PS. Baaah...Shame on Logitech! They're gouging us with this new wheel at $150.00. And on top of that, they're separately selling the lap attachment for another $20.00

Old 02-13-2004, 09:35 AM

Here we go boys and girls -

Full review - Logitech GT 4 wheel.

So I'm off at a gaming store with a friend and see the wonderous wheel on the floor, check out the price tag (as earlier noted) of $149.99... eesh... pricey... But I spend prolly that much on racing games at arcades so what the hell... why not...

So what do you get for the price other than a ton of bubble wrap?

Well first you get pedals. (I used a ruler to give a sense of scale)

The pedals aren't horrible, but I would have like to have them made of a heavier material or the brake pedal needs to be angled differently. The gas pedal won't cause the platform to move no matter what you do (this test was done on carpet mind you), but the brake pedal can cause it to hop a little. It didn't leave the area I put it, but the hops can get annoying and if you don't get used to it, it will throw your game off while playing.

One good thing about the wheel is that on the bottom ....

You have a little switch, and when pressed...

These spikes pop out. Their purpose? Help to stop movement (not hops but movement) of the platform on carpet, and it works great for what it was designed to do.

Here we have the plug for the pedals that you hook into the wheel right behind the shifter. Also to note you need a power outlet for the wheel (also plugs in behind the shifter).

Now for the wheel -

Logitech claims a 900 degree rotation... when you first get the wheel you will see that it does infact turn 900 degrees... but the amount it turns is dependent on the GAME. Which means for GT3 you are limited to 200 degrees, which isn't all that bad, but I don't want people to get the impression that all games will suddenly be 100% real. How much is 200 degrees you ask?

Centered

Full left

full right

The clamps on the wheel are nice. I have a sony Vaio computer with analog plugin's so I play on my computer, this gives me an advantage in that I can mount the wheel on my computer desk which comes close to mimic'ing a car's feel (seats a little too high though).

The clamps at first seemed like cheap plastic, and in a sense they are, but they can still hold down the force of slamming the wheel with minimal movement. Infact the entire desk will shake with a desktop, ps2, monitor 2 speakers, a blank CD spindel and a bunch of other junk on the table and the clamps still dont move at all when I yank at it to test if it's on.

The clamps screw on via two knobs ontop of the wheel, you can get a decent grip on them to screw them in tight enough.

The shifter itself is about 2.5 inches high. As a sport shifter if you pull it towards you, you will upshift, away from you is downshift. The amount you need to move a shifter is VERY minimal. For the most part I've just sorta wacked at the shifter during a race and it won't bounce back (usually, has once or twice) into the opposite shift position. This may seem like not a big deal, but I've been to arcades with abused machines that when I'd whack the shifter in a hurry to downshift, it would either double shift down, or bounce back and upshift me (causing no change).

Logitech for some reason never mentioned the paddle shifters also on the system... one catch... for GT3 they do change view and look behind you... Possibly hinting that for GT4 the buttons for shifting and the previously mentioned will be swapped making the paddles functional. If this isn't the case logitech has made a huge error.

The wheel is definately based on gears. You can easily tell because of the distinct noise of gears moving around (this is definately not a silent wheel). The resistance the gears provide is actually entertaining, because when you go over bumps with soft suspension the gears give way and you get free motion for a split second. Counter steering works great as well, but you will need a good mount to do it. One complaint is that the circle button (E - Brake) isn't as convinient as I would have liked... it's accessable but you have to go out of your way to reach it, but the reverse button is right next to your thumb so it is very convinient in that case.

This is my first wheel for a consol, but I've used wheels on Need for speed arcade games, Sega Rally, and Initial D arcade stage version 1 and 2. I rank the wheel itself up there with Initial D's arcade machines (which for those who don't know or haven't tried are pretty well made). The pedals are my only complaint, realize when you buy the wheel you are paying for the wheel not the pedals. The pedals need to/should be seen as an extra feature rather than a selling point.

As for fun? I'm having loads of fun with the wheel. I've even deleted my old GT3 file just to force my self to use crappy cars and start from scratch to get used to everything. I sometimes get fatigued using the wheel for long periods of time, but I think I just need to get used to the wheel before it's not an issue anymore.

Anyrate hope this gives folks a good idea of what the driving force pro is all about.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:02 AM

If a pic doesnt show up wait for the page to load and right click and do show image.

Don't know why I'm getting X's every once in a while for my own pics. *shrug*

Quick Reply: Gran Toursimo 4 wheel for Ps2