California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Pulled over by a SHERIFF on 680!!!

Old 12-04-2001, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled over by a SHERIFF on 680!!!

I got pulled over last week by a Sheriff for going 75 on 680 south last week!

First of all, I didn't think it was their jurisdiction. Second, what is he thinking pulling people over for 75??

Another note, before he pulled me over, he was weaving in and out of traffic behind me. I was actually watching him in my rear-view and thought he was a drunk driver. At one point, with nobody in front of him, he crossed all three lanes without signaling to pass a car on the right. After I saw this, I accelerated to maintain my distance from him, and he pulls me over!!

Also, we waited for me to exit the freeway at Calaveras to pull me over. He did not pull me over on the freeway.

What gives?
Old 12-04-2001, 09:39 PM

I'm curious, what was the posted speed limit?

I had a similar occurrence ... it sucked.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:41 PM

one word.

www.ticketassassin.com
Old 12-04-2001, 10:43 PM

Hey that suks! I've noticed since Thanksgiving that the CHP and Sheriff's Dept have been pulling a lot more cars over that stretch of 680 (just before Sunol grade through Calaveras in Milpitas). Careful out there...that stretch is designated as a construction zone so it's double the fine.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:59 AM

damn, that sucks. unfortunately, sherrifs have jurisdiction anywhere in their county. And since you were "technically" speeding, and he was probably bored or something, he chose you to be the "lucky winner" (NOT!)

Just contest it with Ticket Assassin (www.ticketassassin.com) and chalk it up to the cost of playing...though its does suck that you were not even really speeding (by S2000 definitely )

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:51 PM

This was between Pleasanton and Sunol. He pulled me over when I exited at the north end of Calaveras, so he was Alameda county. Oh, and the speed limit was technically 65.

I'm going to plead not-guilty and tell the judge exactly what happened. I sped up to avoid what appeared to be a drunk driver behind me. Turns out the car I mistook as a drunk driver was the officer. I don't think the officer will deny his erratic driving, since I think it was a tactic he uses to avoid looking like a cop. Maybe the officer will be the one that ends up in traffic school...
Old 12-05-2001, 11:23 PM

do everything Ticket Assasin says to do FIRST and you may not ever need to submit a plea. if the officer doesnt follow through on the requested info, the case is dropped.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Sparky

I'm going to plead not-guilty and tell the judge exactly what happened
Don't bother. most of the times the judges are as crooked/jadded as the police. Just do the ticketassassin thing, you don't need to take time off for work, and most of the time the officer won't waste his time to respond.

remember, you're guilty until proven innocent as soon as you walk in the courtroom...
Old 12-08-2001, 07:16 PM

A friend of mine who lives in Sunol is a judge in Alameda county and gets to do traffic court several times a year. I asked him about speeding tickets for just a little over the limit and he told me that if you admit to being over the limit by any amount his response will be: "Guilty! Next case please". He normally deals with hard core criminals.

I've successfully defended myself in court against one ticket and unsuccessfully with another. IF I ever get any more tickets, I'm using the methods described in ticketassassin. If that fails, you can still go to traffic court, so it looks like definitely the way to go.
Old 12-08-2001, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sparky [B]I'm going to plead not-guilty and tell the judge exactly what happened.

Quick Reply: Pulled over by a SHERIFF on 680!!!