California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Southbay Milpitas Meet Secret Santa!

Old 12-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Ayt, I was thinking either the 1/2nd meet in January. Still need more people to commit to make this happen.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im down.

if this is going to come through
Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Is this like a White Elephant exchange? This would be more fun.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM

^ what's that?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 PM

Gifts are wrapped, but are not labeled to reflect a specific sender or recipient. Gifts are typically inexpensive, humorous items or used items from home; the term white elephant refers to a gift whose cost exceeds its usefulness.

All participants draw a number (from a hat, perhaps) to determine their order.

The participant with #1 unwraps any gift from the pile and then shows it to everyone. Each successive participant, in the order determined from the drawing, can either 1) "steal" an already opened gift (if there's one they really like) or 2) be adventurous and go for a wrapped gift from the pile. If the participant chooses to steal, the person whose gift is stolen now repeats their turn and either 1) steals another person's gift (they cannot immediately steal back the gift that was just stolen from them) or 2) unwraps a new gift.

This cycle of stealing can sometimes continue for a long time, until a new gift is chosen, at which point the turn is passed to the participant with the next number from the drawing. (An alternative to the drawing is to sit in a circle and take turns in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.)

Since items can be stolen, the item in your possession is not yours until the game is over. However, this is often amended with a rule declaring a gift "dead" or "safe" after it has been stolen a certain number of times (usually two or three). This helps the process go more smoothly (avoiding, for example, the hypothetical scenario of the same gift being stolen by every successive participant) and limits the disadvantage of being among the first to choose gifts.

It's a lot of fun!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

me no like white elephant =[
what if i get a BOV when i don't have anything to put it on?!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy,Dec 7 2008, 11:38 PM
me no like white elephant =[
what if i get a BOV when i don't have anything to put it on?!
Then you get something to put it on
Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by AsianQing,Dec 7 2008, 10:09 PM
Gifts are wrapped, but are not labeled to reflect a specific sender or recipient. Gifts are typically inexpensive, humorous items or used items from home; the term white elephant refers to a gift whose cost exceeds its usefulness.

All participants draw a number (from a hat, perhaps) to determine their order.

The participant with #1 unwraps any gift from the pile and then shows it to everyone. Each successive participant, in the order determined from the drawing, can either 1) "steal" an already opened gift (if there's one they really like) or 2) be adventurous and go for a wrapped gift from the pile. If the participant chooses to steal, the person whose gift is stolen now repeats their turn and either 1) steals another person's gift (they cannot immediately steal back the gift that was just stolen from them) or 2) unwraps a new gift.

This cycle of stealing can sometimes continue for a long time, until a new gift is chosen, at which point the turn is passed to the participant with the next number from the drawing. (An alternative to the drawing is to sit in a circle and take turns in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.)

Since items can be stolen, the item in your possession is not yours until the game is over. However, this is often amended with a rule declaring a gift "dead" or "safe" after it has been stolen a certain number of times (usually two or three). This helps the process go more smoothly (avoiding, for example, the hypothetical scenario of the same gift being stolen by every successive participant) and limits the disadvantage of being among the first to choose gifts.

It's a lot of fun!
Looks fun! However I'd rather keep it simple & do the drawing of names. Whoever you get, you buy them a gift at the set amount. This way you can concentrate on something the person would like & hopefully everyone would get something that suites them.

I am going to put a list from the members that want in & we can go from there.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:45 AM

Locking this for now in attempting to consolodate this with a potential xmas party.