California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Test drove a Lexus IS300 5-speed

Old 08-18-2002, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a Lexus IS300 5-speed

Background: I drive an S2000 daily, have been doing that for more than 2 years now. But eventually one needs a 4-door that can carry some real passengers. So I went to a Lexus dealer today and test drove the only car on the lot that has a manual transmission -- the IS300 with the 215HP I-6 engine and 5-speed transmission.

Because I was so used to pushing the rev's high, I kept hitting the rev-limiter on IS300 (which is just a little over 6K). This was very annoying. But the power is very smooth, and the shifter is smooth (but only 5-speed). But even shifting at 6K, the car does not "feel" fast.

The ABS brake was very effective in stopping the car, but the pulsating was annoying to me.

We came to one intersection and the salesman said: "You can take the next right turn a little faster because you have a clear lane to yourself." So I tried to take it like my S2000, but I was disappointed. The car was leaning way over, and I had to brake or lose it. I think the problem is with the height of the car, it is just too tall and the center of gravity is high. On the way back to the dealer, I tried to take the 880N to Stevens Creek loop at moderate speed and could not do it.

The interior is nice and luxurious, with leather all around. There are a couple of useless gauges in the middle of the speedometer (one is the MPG gauge, which was at 70-80 for most of the drive).

So overall, although it is a nice car to drive around town, it is not a car for spirited drives. I will have to compare it to a BMW 3-series to see. Are there any other good 4-door cars in the same price range (around $30K+) that I should also look at?
Old 08-18-2002, 08:57 PM

3 Series or Audi A4 are about it. Pricing will be on the tall side of $30k+ and none will compare with the S2K. I had an E36 M3 and currently drive an S4....neither "feel" fast and revs end at 7k. If you can wait, the new Mazda RX-8 should be out early next year and should come much closer to matching up with S2K than any of the choices out there today.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:07 AM

My take is that the RX-8 is not much more than a 2-seater, sure, it has a back seat, but would I subject my friends/family to sitting in there? I'll have to wait and see.

The Audi A4 is much more expensive than I expected (first time I looked at an Audi). I heard rumors that the next Accord will have a 6 cylinder coupled with a 6-speed, anyone know? Time to do a search of this board on the new Accord.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:25 AM

get a used GS430
Old 08-19-2002, 04:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteS2k
[B]My take is that the RX-8 is not much more than a 2-seater, sure, it has a back seat, but would I subject my friends/family to sitting in there?
Old 08-20-2002, 02:31 PM

i had a IS before the S, i had the 5 speed auto, with shift buttons on the steeting wheel. it was a good car, it had nice features, but it was slow, and it didn't live up to its sporty looks, the car looks great IMO but its a dissapointment to drive, one cant compare a mid size lux. sedan with our S's, the S is in its own class, overall the Lexus was slow, and had no handles.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:58 PM

I had an IS300 for a while. I got it when I sold my s2000. I got bored of it really quickly. It was really nice and my friends liked it, but it was boring to drive. I sold it for a WRX. Not as nice, but way more fun to drive. I also owned a 2000 A4, and it was far superior in fit and finish to the Lexus. I would recommend a new A4 over the IS300 if you're set on that vehicle class.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:39 PM

how about used 528i or even 540??
Old 08-24-2002, 09:10 PM

i just read the article on the new accord in Sept. Road & Track. specs look promising, and its an accord so there will be more room in it than the rx8... and reasonably priced, of course... gotta love honda...
i'd also look into the acura cl's et al.. i don't know much about the new acuras but a friend of mine has a couple of them, a cl and a tl... also check out the type S's for the each... sweet cars.
good luck!
Old 08-28-2002, 03:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Infinity G35 has been getting good reviews but it may be a bit more dough.

Quick Reply: Test drove a Lexus IS300 5-speed