California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Vortech install

Old 08-16-2002, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech install

Well I decided to go ahead and install my vortech kit myself. Went out today and got all the supplies and tools I will need. Had to order some but they should be here soon. Now don't get me wrong I am mechanicaly inclined but I still feel that I could use some help with the install. If anyone in the bay area knows of a mechanic or someone with just as much knowledge please let me know. I don't feel like paying out over 500 bucks to a shop to install this, I'd rather do it myself and pay someone to help me. Please don't refer anyone to me unless they know their way around engines. If I can't get local help I'll go in on my own, wish me luck.

john
Old 08-20-2002, 11:12 AM

Well I finally got my kit today and boy is the box heavy. I ended up getting the polished kit and I'm gonna start installing it Thursday. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What kind of a crank pulley holder thing did you get? How much?
Old 08-20-2002, 02:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]What kind of a crank pulley holder thing did you get?
Old 08-20-2002, 05:01 PM

Many thanks. It doesn't look like the one that they used at Evolution. That one looked some kind of chain clamp thing that went around the pulley where the belt goes. This is good to know that there is more than one choice. Good luck with your install. Keep us informed of your progress and any "odd" things that might come up that we haven't heard about yet.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:41 AM

Well I ended up starting the install a little sooner. When through and checked to make sure everything was there, next I installed the blower and pulley's to the SC mounting plate. Just doing that took about about 5 hours. Haven't even poped the hood of my car yet, guess I got a ways to go. Oh fyi that damn SC weighs in at a hefty 65 total.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:50 AM

Great stuff. Keep it coming. My buying decision may hinge on what you say.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by S2K Power

I ordered mine through a online store for $38. Its alot cheaper then honda's ($120).

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SP-60100.html
I bought this the other week to do my timing belt on my Integra - from the same place. 150lbs-ft of torque required to rip the bolt off!

Anyway... good luck on your install.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:55 AM

Well I'm finally done! Heres how it went. Keep in mind that I had 2 other friends helping with this install (there is no way you can do it alone) and we also used a buddies shop to work in.

Day 1: Today we got the following done: Removed the front bumper, took out the crank pulley ( this took 4 people and breaker bars that was about 4 feet long to get enough torque to get this bolt out), Droped and taped the oil pan (xbrace and front lower brace had to also come off), Installed the FMU, Switched out the fuel pump. Day 1 we worked on it for 6 hours.

Day 2: Today we mounted the SC and belts ( this takes atleast 2 people), Installed the complete cooling system and bypass valve, installed the piggyback ECU, had to relocate the horn, taped into the fuse box with a relay for the fuel pump, installed the air box (had to modify the fan so that it won't cut into the elbow), Toped off all the fluids and tighten belts, Day 2 we worked on the car for 9 hours.

Day 3: Today we ran all the hoses for the kit, installed the front bumper, did a final check. Day 3 took 2 hours.

Total time for install w/ 3 people was 17 hours. The kit runs fine and is very fast. The car feels smoother now during low speeds, maybe this is due to having more torque. As for top speed whoa it's scary fast, I hit 110 for 60 in about 2 secs. This kit WILL put you in your seat when you floor it. The kit has a very loud whining sound. Right now I am having only one problem, the tension adjusting bolt for the SC keeps losening up, I applied a little lock tight and I hope it holds. I'll have to call Vortech monday to find out why this is.

During the install I had a scratch to my front bumper and two dents put in my front right fender . All in all I give this kit two
Old 08-25-2002, 10:21 AM

dam...congrats john....finally got it in huh? and saved urself a few hundred bucks....so when we gonna go for a ride?

Quick Reply: Vortech install