California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

what is with new cars and their lights

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is with new cars and their lights

i am always bothered by seeing newer cars that doesn't have their lights on at night. from what i believe is because people are still used to the old ways of when the dash board lights are off, that means the driving lights are also off. so why did car engineers decide to have the dash board lights stay on all the time while your driving lights stay off? so now people who are used to the old ways now forget that their new car doesn't have their headlights on when all they see on their dashboard is that it is on and automatically think that their headlights are also on? why is it that this seems to be going backwards than moving forwards by designing something that would just automatically turn your lights on when it gets dark?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you ever looked at their face, it's lit up like it's daylight due to the dash lights being in daylight mode. That should give them a clue something's not right but nope they continue lol. You can't help everyone unfortunately
Old 01-29-2012, 11:45 PM

you would think that the road is pitch black that your head lights arent on but then again all these cars have halogens, you cant see the road anyways
Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Banned

This is just another reason that I think the driving requirements in the US need to be a lot more strict. Way too many idiots on the road.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Depends on how bright at night we are talking about. New model now a days have automatic headlights and some people probably tends to forget that you can just walk away without having to flip the switch off and their next drive assuming that their headlights is on auto.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
This is just another reason that I think the driving requirements in the US need to be a lot more strict. Way too many idiots on the road.
It's really hard to protect stupid people with more laws. We already have the requirement to drive with your lights on in the rain and at night. People still don't do it, still aren't getting tickets and still cannot figure out how to drive a car.

I think the source of the problem is our population is getting dumber. Just look at the education rate.

Why do we blame gov't when the driver is 100% responsible?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm used to complete darkness living in the hills. Bright street lights confuse me. Borrowing my parents station wagon I got pulled over for driving with no lights on last week one second after pulling out the gas station. Just a warning luckily. I guess I'm one of those stupid drivers. The vw passat wagon I was driving had all the interior dash lights on without the headlights on. I blamed myself not the government or the vw company.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Thats what I meant eklipz. The whole dash board lights were on making you think that your headlights are on too. I'm curious why the car engineers think that was a good idea. If they are gonna do that, then just add the auto on system for yor lights too. I know about my sisters 07 corolla have auto on/off headlights. When it senses that its dark out, it will automatically turn the lights on.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by madmaxblaster
Thats what I meant eklipz. The whole dash board lights were on making you think that your headlights are on too. I'm curious why the car engineers think that was a good idea. If they are gonna do that, then just add the auto on system for yor lights too. I know about my sisters 07 corolla have auto on/off headlights. When it senses that its dark out, it will automatically turn the lights on.
You have a good point here. The only thing that changes in these situations is that the lights get dimmer on the dash when you crank the headlights on.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM

it's funny seeing them exit off of freeway at night.. you can see that the car is disappearing into complete darkness yet the driver is completely clueless. sooo funny

Quick Reply: what is with new cars and their lights