California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Where can i get a cheap TCT?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eremoy
Originally Posted by HarryD' timestamp='1318348593' post='21059820
Buy Billman's modified TCT--he guarantees it for life--and he's a legendary s2000 mechanic.

I got it from him for $260 shipped AND when I returned my old (bad) TCT to him via mail, he refunded $115.

Car drives/sounds better. TCT noise is gone completely.
X2

An oem one will just go bad again eventually.

X3
Billman is the way to go. Great customer service too.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to play devil's advocate, how long as either Billman's or Inlinepro's modified TCT been available? Long enough to really say they won't eventually develop the same issue?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Just to play devil's advocate, how long as either Billman's or Inlinepro's modified TCT been available? Long enough to really say they won't eventually develop the same issue?
Billman made his TCT prototype in 2008 (I know because I read ALL the major TCT threads on here...

I haven't encountered anyone who bought Billman's TCT actually complain about the noise coming back (unlike stock OEM replacements).
Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats billmans user name? im also experiencing the same problem lol
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Billman sounds like the man to go to, I'll be doing this soon
Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1318378140' post='21061389
Billman made his TCT prototype in 2008 (I know because I read ALL the major TCT threads on here...I haven't encountered anyone who bought Billman's TCT actually complain about the noise coming back (unlike stock OEM replacements).
I agree it's useful to recognize the devil's advocate position that we don't know FORSURE whether a Billman TCT won't "eventually" develop the same noise. However, the OEM offers no guarantee, and Billman's has a lifetime guarantee. The decision is pretty straightforward, especially considering there are plenty of reports that an OEM TCT will click away in less than a year. I chose the Billman because of the guarantee, in addition to the census opinion. I also combed through as many TCT threads as possible before coming to the decision, and called Billman personally to talk it over.

Originally Posted by D-Outkast
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/user/12160-billman250/
Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by D-Outkast
Originally Posted by SoREALemjay
Billman sounds like the man to go to, I'll be doing this soon
Let me know when you guys replace your TCT
I wanna see how it is done before doing this to my own car eventually
Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RylisPro
Let me know when you guys replace your TCT
I wanna see how it is done before doing this to my own car eventually
I'm not mechanically-inclined, though I'm learning, and I read the s2ki DIY, the s2kca DIY, and Billmans instructions (below). It worked out perfectly:
  • https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/808...ent-or-repair/
  • http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=18013
  • Billman's (username: Billman250) instructions via PM:

Code:
    TCT Install...follow steps in order and work like a pro :)

remove the airbox to make the job 100 times easier :)

Remove the maintenence plug with an 8mm or 5/16 allen key. It is on the front of the head right next to the TCT. DO NOT confuse it with the camshaft holding bolt. The cam bolt is centered directly under the valve cover and is recessed in a little. DO NOT touch this bolt :)

Remove the two bolts that hold the TCT in the engine with a 10mm socket.

put your hand under the TCT with a paper towel. now using a small blunt object like a stubby screwdriver, put it in the maintenence hole and pry on the TCT through the hole. It will come out with ease...catch it in your hand, along with a teaspoon of oil. Dont tip the TCT side to side, keep it level and no parts will fall out :)

The new TCT is locked with a small pin/nail. DO NOT touch it...yet.

Install the new TCT. There are letters NTN on the TCT, install so they read right side up. Install the two bolts with the 10mm socket and torque them to 12 N-m or 8.7 Ft-lbs. If you are good with tools and mechanically proficient, there is no need for a torque wrench.

AFTER the TCT is installed AND the two bolts are tight, use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the lock pin out of the TCT through the maintenence hole.

Re-install the maintenence plug and its aluminum washer. It has an aluminum washer on it just like the oil drain plug in the engine.

Ship the old TCT back to me with the lock pin, and i will paypal your refund immediately.

If you're in South Bay, I'm sure myself or a bunch of members can drop by... It's a pretty quick fix.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get a hold of bill I want a tct
Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if there's a difference between the tct that's supplied in the car vs the replacement one? I have 60 thousand miles on mine and it's still fine and it seems like once people replace theirs it doesn't last nearly as long the second time around.

Quick Reply: Where can i get a cheap TCT?