California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Acura NSX Concept

Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Acura NSX Concept

Announcing the rebirth of the Honda NSX: one of the most iconic sports cars of the 1990s will return in 2015 as an American-built Acura with all-wheel-drive and an electric-enhanced rear engine. Here's a hybrid to get excited for.
The NSX represented the pinnacle of Honda's sports heyday of the 1980s and '90s. Launched with input from Formula One great Ayrton Senna, the NSX set a brace of technological firsts -- from its aluminum monocoque frame to the variable valve timing that would become a standard on engines worldwide. The NSX wasn't the fastest or most-powerful supercar, but reflected Honda's balance between power, weight and handling -- a sweet spot that few cars have ever achieved.
Honda mulled replacing the NSX for years with a V-10 powered successor, but the company soon embraced smaller engines and a tight focus on fuel efficiency. Somewhere along the way, it also lost a piece of the racing spirit that birthed the NSX, unleashing a string of unsuccessful to ungainly models that offered little over their competitors.
After last year's update of the Honda Civic -- a freshening that did little to improve the car's weakening position against tough competition -- Honda's executives vowed to revive the company's soul. The new NSX, to be sold under the Acura brand, shows they're serious enough to design the most attractive Acura ever.
The concept retains the mid-engine V-6 layout of the original NSX, but adds in a new Honda all-wheel-drive system that relies on electric motors to power the front wheels. As with its predecessor, Honda vows the NSX won't rely on brute force, but combine lightweight materials with high technology for supercar performance and respectable fuel economy.
If there's a disappointment here, it's that Honda has held back several key details about the NSX concept, including the power its engines and electric motors will generate. But the U.S.-based team developing the NSX for production in Ohio has three years to get it right.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't stand how Honda is shoving hybrids down our throats... especially since every example of their IMA system to date lags far behind the industry benchmark. This thing better be special...
Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 PM

I bet they're gonna later introduce a Type-R version which removes the hybrid bits
Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 PM

Looks pretty good
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM

I don't think it looks bad. Im not huge on the Acura's new brand style of giant plasticy bottle opener grilles but it muted enough on this concept that it doesn't bother me.

The SH-AWD drive bit has me with mixed thoughts. It looks like Honda is banking on hybrids and I wonder if were at a point where pure gas burning cars are becoming a thing of the past. Gas prices are only going to go up as world demand increases. Plus you got the whole global warming movement. Are we going to be at a point where we start seeing cars sacrifice a chunk of performance for alternative energy. Are gas chugging V12's going to be fading out?

If so I'd say kudos to Honda for getting ahead of the curve again with the NSX.

If not, then I think this NSX is gonna be another let down in a string of recent Honda let downs. I'm pretty skeptical on the SH-AWD and a moderate V-6 keeping pace with its counterparts like the GT-R. Even if the electric drives can deliver a lot of initial torque and HP, battery tech isn't there yet. That kind of power drain might mean you get a few strong launches before the batteries get sucked dry. Then the poor lil V-6 not only has to drive the car but also recharge batteries and or power the electic drives. Coupled with the added weight of the system, it could be bad news out on the track. Not to mention I would imagine all the gadegtry to manage this leaves the driver pretty disconnected with the road.
If the ladder scenario is the case, I wish they'd call the car the NS-Z instead on NSX not to tarnish the legacy of the older car.
I'm hoping they get it right. I'm also finding it curious its being developed in Ohio instead of Japan.
Well we got 3 years to wait and see and speculate.
Sorry I got a lil long winded.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:55 AM

" I can't stand how Honda is shoving hybrids down our throats..." not just honda, but they are all going towards hybrids and eventually electric. But I think I know what you mean... There is something about the sound of gas engines that is "thrilling".

"I bet they're gonna later introduce a Type-R version which removes the hybrid bits " That will be extraordinary...

"I wish they'd call the car the NS-Z instead on NSX not to tarnish the legacy of the older car. " WORD...

Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by CASTRO
I bet they're gonna later introduce a Type-R version which removes the hybrid bits
If they make a Type R version I would actually bet the opposite. Honda is so desperate to establish an identity as the "earth friendly hybrid company" that they would probably beef up the hybrid bits. They don't care about performance anymore... they just want people to know how AWESOME their hybrids are and hopefully sell a few more insights, cr-zs, civics, fits, and accords (hybrid model to return next gen) to offset the dev cost of their low volume sports car hybrid.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 PM

IS COMING....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUFSHzT2xuY&feature=player_embedded[/media]
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM

Interesting comments. It does seem that the auto industry is moving the fundamental concept of the drivetrian from the internal combustion engine to something more socially acceptable. Problem for the developers include keeping up with the rapidly changing definition of "socially acceptable " while not alienating the customers -those like us who were brought up with gas powered cars. I suspect had alternative fuel vehicles been more available our view of the gas engine would be quite different today.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by JoelCool
Interesting comments. It does seem that the auto industry is moving the fundamental concept of the drivetrian from the internal combustion engine to something more socially acceptable. Problem for the developers include keeping up with the rapidly changing definition of "socially acceptable " while not alienating the customers -those like us who were brought up with gas powered cars. I suspect had alternative fuel vehicles been more available our view of the gas engine would be quite different today.
I would agree. I personally don't think the fuel type would matter to me. My S could be powered by propane or natural gas, I don't know that it would detract from the experience, given I could readily refuel the car.
That being said, I would say there's a different social context from car to car. People presumably don't buy a Ferrari for the same reasons you by a minivan or a civic or a full-sized truck. I kinda doubt one of the major reasons, people buy a Ferrari vs a Porsche or Viper is for high fuel economy or low carbon footprint. But fuel efficiency and staying green would likely be a large factor in buying a Civic or Focus or Corolla.

I noticed on the main boards that Motor Trend put up some hypothetical stats for the new NSX. 480hp and 3,100 pounds. 0-60 times in the 3's. I wonder if those are numbers being aimed at w/ Honda? I'd rather see them aiming at those numbers for a halo car rather than aiming for 60MPG. Of course the 135k estimate from MT means I can forget about buying one.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX Concept