California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Brothas With Big Loud Exhausts... Must Read...

Old 11-03-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brothas With Big Loud Exhausts... Must Read...

CHECK IT...
Old 11-03-2006, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny thing was that I was about to post my current situation concering "LOUD EXHAUST 27150(a)".

Got a ticket a few weeks ago in EG for the above and wanted to contest based on the following grounds:

Car is not registered in CA and shouldn't apply to CA vehicle code laws
I am also not a resident of CA and still have a UTAH license

I called the court and they said I have to pay $127 upfront and can contest the ticket via mail. If I win, I will get my $ back, if I lose, they keep the $127

What do you guys think, does the above law apply to CA visitors inwhich their own states don't have such law????
Old 11-03-2006, 03:43 PM

yep
Old 11-04-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just ANOTHER reason to get out of CA as soon as possible.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:06 PM

Yes get out asap! Hello CA S2Kers, Just wanted to say hello, We are loving Asheville NC. Wow talk about fantastic twisty roads and unbelievable fall weather. Oh and no front license plates and they dont give a squat about exhaust noise.

Mitch & Debby
Old 11-05-2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Blair Morrow,Nov 3 2006, 04:43 PM
yep
sorry but can you explain why? my thought is that out of state visitors shouldn't have to modify their cars to visit cali and same the other way around. a good example is that several states allow front tint on the driver and passenger window, but cali doesn't, so can they legally ticket all of these passerbys?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Wow! what a bunch of crap, I understand that there are some cars out there that have way to loud of an exaust, but some of us have just got a little rummble. Now, do I need to worry everytime I see a cop, that I may get a ticket becuse it is up to him to make a judgement as to what is loud?
I see and hear bikes every day that are just stupid loud, and cops sitting beside the road just doing nothing.
I think if they are going to be able to crack down, they need to give them noise meters on board so we can see the read out.
I don't want a ticket based on an opion.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:48 PM

I just got a ticket 2 weeks ago for "excessive noise" from my exhaust. I don't need to go to the ref though. It's a fix it ticket. The funny thing is that I was approaching this cop, so kept the rpms below 3k. I took a turn and followed me and soon pulled me over. After he gave me the ticket, he asked me if I street race!

I was no where speeding or driving recklessly. I was just trying to get home from school. I think there should be a device to measure the noise level to determine how "excessive" the noise is. Just like the breatherlizer (I'm not sure how to spell it) test.

Btw, what is the $127 fee for...ref/fix it ticket or the fine? My friend got a ticket for an exhaust as well, but ended up paying the fine. He didn't go to the ref or put the stock exhaust back on.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These exhaust tickets are among the easiest to beat. The law states that the exhaust must not emit more than 95dB of noise. Unless the officer had a decibel meter and measured the sound coming out (I'm sure he did no such thing), he is speculating, and speculaiton cannot be admitted as evidence. Read that section of the vehicle code and fight it. You have a better than average chance of beating it.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Quick Reply: Brothas With Big Loud Exhausts... Must Read...