California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Going to go Boosted! Greddy Kit

Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to go Boosted! Greddy Kit

Hey Sac2kers,

I was thinking about aquiring a greddy ap1 kit ( http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/2927154219.html )
I have a MY03 and the head has been rebuilt with forged components. No other engine mods.
The guy says minimal shaft play, the manifold cracked (i heard its pretty common), but is welded, and will come with everything needed to run.
It has the brass/red fittings, so its the older model. Seller says it probably has about 30-40 k on it.

To all you boosted guys!
Any suggestions on what I should look out for? I searched the forums, and I have a pretty good idea, but never can be too sure.
Anyone want to help me install this beast? You will be comp'ed with pizza and beer (money if need be).
I'll be picking up this kit probably this weekend. ( i hope it fits in the s ).

Any help is appreciated!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 AM

IMO I would save the $3100 you're paying for that kit and buy a Full Blown Street kit.

http://fullblownmotorsports.com/perf...ge-1-turbo-kit

Add some ID injectors, fuel pump, ECU and you have a solid setup.

Greddy kits are a waste of $$$. You can almost make more power N/A

For piece of mind I wouldn't buy a turbo kit with 30/40K miles on it. He's upgrading for a reason.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM

Pass on the kit and buy my partial kit! Lol.

Without knowing the history I would pass. Too many miles. IIRC a rebuild from Greddy was $4-700 last I checked. That manifold will keep cracking but you can ask if greddy will change to the current cast manifold.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 PM

@red@9k you're probably right, i'll keep on looking

@SOHCmyDOHC if you had all the pieces, i would pick it up in a heart beat, lol
Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 PM

The Full Blown kit is pretty apples to oranges to this used Greddy kit. Many, many people wouldn't wanna bother with the hassle of an half-complete, non CA legal kit, that would require a lot more $$$ spent before your S can actually support it w/o further issues.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM

DN never said he wanted a carb legal kit. For the same amount he spends on that greddy he could get a better kit building it from my parts. Just saying.

Did the seller say what he was boosting at? If you get that kit I would get the turbo rebuilt. Just my $0.02
Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 PM

DN never said he wanted half a kit either... i was just stating the Greddy kit has a place in this world. Shockingly, some people actually find the Greddy kit more appealing.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by SOHCmyDOHC
Pass on the kit and buy my partial kit! Lol.

Without knowing the history I would pass. Too many miles. IIRC a rebuild from Greddy was $4-700 last I checked. That manifold will keep cracking but you can ask if greddy will change to the current cast manifold.
Andy's partial IP kit would be a great buy. You could probably piece the rest of the kit for about $2500 with complete AEM EMS(used 1052) and injectors.

I can help you also if you go this route. Basically you would need a IC, Chargepiping, wastegate, turbo, EMS, injectors and you would have a solid proven setup.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by AyJay
DN never said he wanted half a kit either... i was just stating the Greddy kit has a place in this world. Shockingly, some people actually find the Greddy kit more appealing.
Its only appealing for the simple fact that its carb legal. Other than that its a horrible kit for the money. Manifold is garbage, Greddy E-Manage sucks, etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Since we are discussing boost, did the KW ever get CARB'd?

Quick Reply: Going to go Boosted! Greddy Kit