California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

UC Davis - should we move?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UC Davis - should we move?

Hey guys,

I'm part of the mid-Atlantic community in DC/Northern Virginia. I am considering moving out to Sacramento. My wife is potentially considering UC Davis medical school.

What do you guys love about Sacramento?

I've been to San Francisco quite a bit, but never Sacramento.

I definitely love outdoorsy crap - mountainbiking, snowboarding, hiking, etc. I know Tahoe is only couple hours away, but what else do you love about Sacramento?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 PM

If you like mountain activities, you aren't gonna find any in Sacramento: it's as flat as kansas in the city. Umm, I think TIME magazine said Sacramento is the most racially diverse metropolitan. Traffic isn't too bad, minus Hwy 99. Weather is pretty mild, with no snow, no earthquakes, no ocean storms.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 AM

Todd (grimnebulin) knows more about the outdoors in sactown since he does go biking a lot. I don't know where though. I'll let him chime in on that.

Sactown is more laid back than SF.

It gets HOT in the summer though... Like 100+
Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SOHCmyDOHC,Dec 23 2007, 10:27 AM
Sactown is more laid back than SF.
That's in understatement!

I moved to Davis for school from the Bay Area... be prepared that there is little to no night life in Davis! Most restaurants close at 9:30. I do like Davis because it is a nice small college town. Not too far from Sac (about 15-20 minutes). You can check out daviswiki.org, there are reviews and information on just about anything that goes on in Davis.

As for outdoors stuff, aside from biking, running, or indoor rock-climbing, I don't know what else Davis has to offer.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by tekstar,Dec 23 2007, 11:26 AM
As for outdoors stuff, aside from biking, running, or indoor rock-climbing, I don't know what else Davis has to offer.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks for all the reponses - this is definitely helpful.

My wife and I are pretty laid back. And actually, we're not so into the night life any more. We did the nightclub/bar/rave scene for a lot of years and have really chilled out.

I appreciate the comments about weather (being hot in the summer) and the landscape (flat as kansas). It definitely gives me a little bit of insight. We'll probably get out there and visit Sacramento in early March and then may make our way out to Tahoe for some snowboarding.

Are there some good roads to take the S out on? Or do you guys go to local tracks? Is it a good area for motorcycling/cruising around?

Thanks again - will definitely keep you guys posted if we move out there. It is like 9 months away from now though... Thanks again for all the feedback. Much appreciated!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:53 AM
freescopesdad

For great sportscar roads check out Pashnit. And Davis is 70 miles from Thunderhill, 60 miles from Sears Point, and only 3 hours from Laguna Seca. Other than the fact that the town is named after the president of the former Confederacy, what's not to like?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:58 PM

I agree with Ron. It is a sports car paradise, even if you have to share with miatae and the occasional superbike.

You are 30-40 min from Napa, 1.5 hrs from worldclass mountainbiking, top ranked roadbiking starts at your door, fresh/saltwater fishing/sailing/waterskiing/diving within 30 min-1.5 hr. Decent snow skiing/xc/boarding.

The academics are great, depending on your discipline...Sactown is no NYC, but then SF is WAY ahead of that overrated place. Decent food abounds at good prices.

Negatives: The stoplights are set by blind monkeys. The housing cost is 10-20% higher than the local region. There is a high population of first time drivers with epilepsy.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:11 AM

INTJ and frescopesdad - thanks for the information - much appreciated. I'm definitely excited to take a little trip out there and check out the area.

Peace,
Marc
Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM

If you move out here, Free runs a mean drive for your sundays.

Quick Reply: UC Davis - should we move?