California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

2 cars flipped today at SOW =[

Old 05-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nontoyable,May 12 2008, 05:52 PM
Dont know about the tires either...

I think I spun out close to the same spot the last time I was at SOW going in too hot. If you lose it, just go straight and not try to bring the car back was a tip I got from a friend. Got lucky and the dirt was forgiving that day...

Best of luck to the driver and hopefully a new S in the future!
I was thinking of doing that too in case of an emergency. After seeing her experience it seems like it'd be better to just rocket into the dirt head on and possibly sacrifice the suspension over trying to correct a hot turn and flip the car. Any comments from the vets?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys are correct t1r
Old 05-12-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,May 12 2008, 04:34 PM
to a point.......BUT.......if it is true, then this could have possibly been avoided......You put yourself AND OTHERS at risk if the tires are crappy or the car is sub-par in any way......

I agree with you to a point, but you can't really put the blame on the tires i believe it's more on the driver skill more and knowing your limit as a driver then anything we had a guy with us on Sunday with an AP2 running on some crappy Fuzion tires and he was able to put down a 1.32-1.33 and that isn't bad with even good tires...
Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,May 12 2008, 04:37 PM
Based on the pattern, its either Yoko ES or FUZION tires... I could be wrong, but its not a "tire rack" rec. tires
No. Those are Toyo t1-r's

Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM

doh!

EDIT:

On a side note. I had a pair of those before and I must say: the grip isn't all that great to begin with and after putting them through heat cycles that come with "spirited" commuting the grip became non-existant. I owned them for about 2 months, after that I got rid of them because I could no longer grip. Tires would slide out when I take onramps above 45MPH.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by moogleii,May 12 2008, 05:17 PM
I was thinking of doing that too in case of an emergency. After seeing her experience it seems like it'd be better to just rocket into the dirt head on and possibly sacrifice the suspension over trying to correct a hot turn and flip the car. Any comments from the vets?
First off...my condolences to the drivers of the S2000 and GT2...

I'd hardly call myself a vet but I've had my fair share of mishaps at SOW so here's my $0.02...

On the CW configuration, the chicane is one of the most challenging aspects of the track...it's basically blind (since it goes uphill and then downhill) and can be taken at very high speeds. I've had a buddy oversteer on the same part, and end up on the left side on top of a ditch and tore off his front bumper. Another buddy of mine hit the pothole on the first right-hand turn in and dented his front right rim. Personally, I've oversteered into the last left and taken it sideways at nearly 100mph...

Here's what I learned from the 3-day Toyota class at SOW (the one with the Celicas)...racing on the track is all about reference points. They need to be established at EVERY turn and EVERY braking zone.

For the chicane...you need to initially track on the far left side of the back straight. I'm usually in 5th gear and hit around 100mph before the chicane. At the turn-in point, you need let off the throttle slightly, track right, accelerate and hold a STRAIGHT line all the way through the chicane (much easier with the new paved configuration).

The reference point is a large water tower far off on the horizon...line up directly in front of water tower, and accelerate straight through the chicane. Before the left hander exiting the chicane, brake slightly in a STRAIGHT line, downshift into 4th, and gradually turn left. No jerky movements (which might induce oversteer) and track to the far right. Also, do not abruptly let off the throttle in the middle of the turn as this will cause weight transfer to the front of your car, and you will lose traction to the rear. Finish your braking/downshifting BEFORE tracking left... You might feel as if you have to pull left faster than you think; there is actually a lot of runoff room to the right that you can track wide to.

This is what I have learned from personal experience (both from instruction and personal trackdays) combined with feedback from my friends' experiences.

Again, my condolences to the drivers of the S2000 and GT2...it sucks to hear that own of our own had a bad experience at the track...

I still strongly believe that the track is the "safest" environment that we can utilize to understand the limits of our S2000's...I hope this incident doesn't discourage others...
Old 05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_dreams,May 12 2008, 07:20 PM
No. Those are Toyo t1-r's

Old 05-12-2008, 06:26 PM

BTW...I found a pic of the GT2 off of TrackHQ.com.

It looks like a 997...hard to tell from this pic:

Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 600rr_rocket,May 12 2008, 07:23 PM
The reference point is a large water tower far off on the horizon...line up directly in front of water tower, and accelerate straight through the chicane. Before the left hander exiting the chicane, brake slightly in a STRAIGHT line, downshift into 4th, and gradually turn left. No jerky movements (which might induce oversteer) and track to the far right. Also, do not abruptly let off the throttle in the middle of the turn as this will cause weight transfer to the front of your car, and you will lose traction to the rear. Finish your braking/downshifting BEFORE tracking left... You might feel as if you have to pull left faster than you think; there is actually a lot of runoff room to the right that you can track wide to.

This is what I have learned from personal experience (both from instruction and personal trackdays) combined with feedback from my friends' experiences.

Again, my condolences to the drivers of the S2000 and GT2...it sucks to hear that own of our own had a bad experience at the track...

I still strongly believe that the track is the "safest" environment that we can utilize to understand the limits of our S2000's...I hope this incident doesn't discourage others...
damn how do u aim that water tower??

for me i just grab kinda close the the right side before the chicanes and go in a straight line. first few times were hard after taht its cake. although there was a point where a lap or two i was drifting out the last corner of chicane because i missed the entrance and didnt want to bend my rim

good info 600rr
Old 05-12-2008, 06:43 PM

That white 997 doesn't look flipped ... the older red 930 looks flipped

Quick Reply: 2 cars flipped today at SOW =[