California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

About ot buy used car

Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About ot buy used car

So my wife has been driving my beater while I am fortunate enough to drive the s every day to work. I want to get her something a little more luxury and auto since she commutes just as much as I do. I would then take my beater back and the S would be driven every other day or something like that.

I recently found a used lexus for sale. Mileage is low for the year. Interior is 9/10. Normal wear for the driver side. Exterior has a few door dings, scrapped paint, and some dimples in the bumper. Owner is older lady. I did the some checks on the car to see if there was anything major wrong with it and I didn't see any. Test drove it and the throttle is very responsive and the shifts were very smooth. AC is cold, and all electronics showed working with no lights on the dash or anything. There was a carfax report, and most maintenance records up until about 06. First owner was lease, second and current is certified preowned. I would be the third owner. Anything short of bringing it to a mechanic to check should I be checking?

O and any recommendations on lowering the price about 10%? It's listed about 10% above kbb.... Lady doesnt seem to want to budge...

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM

sounds like you know what to look for already. sounds like a good buy. if the seller isnt willing to budge, you gotta pay or find another car. sounds like the car is worth the 10% over kbb find what other similar cars are going for. maybe you find someone who would be willing to let theirs go for cheaper
Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont overpay for the car. especially if you can find the same car without any dings or anything for the KBB value.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:58 PM

thanks guys... the car is the best one listed... so im wondering if all the sellers are crazy... or kbb is under valued...

this is the worse of the dmg on the car... how hard is that to fix?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 PM

try carmax for used cars, who knows maybe you'll find something you like.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 PM

best bet is to do a compression test on the motor, check if coolant is full or oil is at regular mark. the car could run strong but one of the cylinder could be have a low compression, or it's burning oil or coolant is lost somwhere. i bought a mr2 once, car ran perfectly, no stumple or anything. fast throttle respond. A month later, i notice that the car oil was low, and im low on coolant. turn out, the headgasket was going out and also a cylinder was low on compression.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 AM

a good deal is a good deal to because you think it is.. not because the price is under what kbb lists. the consumer is the only entity that uses kbb to form their prices. dealerships use something called black book or wholesale book.

a good deal is something that you feel is worth the money for that particular item.. you could be buying the car for $500 and walk away thinking you just stoled the car... then in 3 weeks the car breaks down. then you realize you were screwed. im just saying you get what you pay for. this person might be asking for more because its a gem. dont squabble over a few hundred dollars because its over kbb pricing lol. thats just ridiculous and being cheap. not a bad thing to try and negotiate, but if the car is worth it to you, pay asking price.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KBB is worthless. All cars sold are below KBB, unless your part of the few that falls for it. KBB is just for dealers to point and say "see, it's below KBB".

Shop around, cash in hand is king with private party sales.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by vietdragontekx,Dec 28 2010, 11:40 PM
best bet is to do a compression test on the motor, check if coolant is full or oil is at regular mark. the car could run strong but one of the cylinder could be have a low compression, or it's burning oil or coolant is lost somwhere. i bought a mr2 once, car ran perfectly, no stumple or anything. fast throttle respond. A month later, i notice that the car oil was low, and im low on coolant. turn out, the headgasket was going out and also a cylinder was low on compression.
woud mechanic be only person that could do a compression test? would it be possible to do at the sellers location?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by the s2k dude,Dec 29 2010, 07:32 AM
a good deal is a good deal to because you think it is.. not because the price is under what kbb lists. the consumer is the only entity that uses kbb to form their prices. dealerships use something called black book or wholesale book.

a good deal is something that you feel is worth the money for that particular item.. you could be buying the car for $500 and walk away thinking you just stoled the car... then in 3 weeks the car breaks down. then you realize you were screwed. im just saying you get what you pay for. this person might be asking for more because its a gem. dont squabble over a few hundred dollars because its over kbb pricing lol. thats just ridiculous and being cheap. not a bad thing to try and negotiate, but if the car is worth it to you, pay asking price.
I totally agree... it's just the first time venturing into this type of car... here's the listing... what do you guys think?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p...&standard=false

Quick Reply: About ot buy used car