California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Advice on Speed Contest Ticket

Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Speed Contest Ticket

Well, last night I got my car towed and impounded for "street racing."
Just to let everyone know, I was not street racing.

I may have been speeding, but I was not racing. The cop said another car and I were going 60mph down Colima in a 45 zone. I did not even floor it or anything. I went from one red light, Batson, to the next red light. When the light turns green, I get pulled over, taken out of my car, handcuffed, and put in the back of a patrol car. The cop asked if I was on anything, I said no, then goes to search my car for illegal substances. After not finding anything, they proceed to load my car onto the tow truck, ripping off my front bumper and lip in the process.

So 30 day impound with a speed contest and reckless driving ticket.
Is there anyway to get my car out of the impound earlier than the 30 days? This is my only means of transportation for school and work.

The cop mentioned that I may be able to get my car sooner if make an apeal in court. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this?

Does anyone think this is worth fighting? I know it's pretty much his word against mine, so I'm guessimg that I am pretty screwed...

Any help or advice would be appriciated. Thanks
Old 05-10-2008, 11:25 AM

hire a lawyer ASAP.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:28 AM

that is messed up! after u get the car back make em pay for the front a brand new bumper and yea hire lawyer!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 AM

wtf!? damn i'm sorry to hear that. Looks like you really need a lawyer and if I were you get it done today, if you can g'luck
Old 05-10-2008, 11:35 AM

did you tell the cop that? you was speeding and was not racing anyone? and was there anyone on the road, if not say how can i be speeding with no one around...

that sucks to hear... cuz i live in Hacienda Heights, thats so close.
sorry to hear but yea, did you have any passengers?

i would definetly fight it, he doesnt have proof that you was racing unless he caught on the in dash video, get a lawyer and fight it sue his ass for your bumper and emotional distress and get mucho bucks!

thats pretty crazy he must have been thinking forsure it was you to pull you over and cuff your ass...and then have the tow truck come back and take it away...
was it a sheriff? or hwy patrol? cuz Hacienda/La puente dont even have a PD.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

PM SIDEWAYS. He got one.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just repeating what everyone else is saying - get a lawyer... he should be able to get it knocked down to something a lot more timid
Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 PM

A lawyer's going to cost you a whole lot more then the fines,bumper and lip.
The only advantage is you if you win you'll get the charge off your record but nothing will happen to the cop
Judges will take a cops word over yours and if you lose your case you just pick up an extra 3-5k in lawyers fees
Last bullshit speeding charge I got from a Chevy loving pig who wrote me up for a bogus speeding ticket cost me $3500 for a lawyer.
The cop even had the nerve to ask me ridiculous questions like "what's this stupid hardtop supposed to do?"and "do you think you're fast and furious?"to try to show off to his rookie partner and when I didn't answer he got pissed and threatened to take me to jail.
I won the case because the cop didn't even bother showing up to court do to the b.s. charges.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when i was a lot younger i used to go to the street races (not like everyone thinks it was to set up runs and go to secluded areas to run for some cash). of course after a few years i got caught. the ticket was cvc 23109 speed contest (or exhibition of speed, i forget). i plead not guilty.....three times. i was asked if i wanted a public defender, and i said, "yes please". when my final trial date came i was offered a plea bargin of $250 dollars, and no jail time (which meant community service). of course i said yes as i was guilty anyways. if u can not afford a lawyer then this is what i suggest u do. however, if ur story is true then take the public defender. just know that exhibition of speed (if thats on ur ticket at all) does not imply ur were racing. it merly means u could have been revving, peeling out, etc. both charges carry the same weight. GL.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Law Office of Joseph S. Davis Attorney at Law
P.O. Box 10924 Westminster, California 92685
Telephone: (714) 394-5714 Facsimile: (714) 543-0102 E-Mail: joseph.davis@mminternet.com

Quick Reply: Advice on Speed Contest Ticket