California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

advice on starting a business

Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on starting a business

hello! i was hoping to get some advice or tips on what i can do to start a business. my friend and i want to partner up to start a clothing line. we have a few designs set aside and i plan to get some shirts printed. What do you think would be the best way to advertise and start of sales. Online? or shops?
im hoping to get this started ASAP so i can make some money to save up for a car.
oh and what do i need to legal start my own company...business license, copyrights. etc. im new to this, but very interested.

thanks
-eric
Old 07-13-2007, 05:46 AM

its very difficult to get it going and to succeed. Everyone has a clothing line. You know how many i see advertised like on myspace.com and other online sites? In my opinion unless you are sure you got some killer designs that are different than other stuff out there i'd maybe look into something else... You might spend alot me money getting these printed then be stuck with alot of clothes. Remember even shaq had a line. What happened to that?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:04 AM

what kind of backround is your clothing line coming from?
for in stance my cousin and his buddy recently started up
a clothing line "New Age Indians" and what they did to put it out there
they had a demo at a skate shop on july 7 it was huge! they were selling there
t-shirts for 5 bucks at the demo and so many were sold ! they had underground bands there some pritti good skaters ....anyways a day later the skate shop wanted to start selling there items im not sure what skate shop it was i think it was concrete jungle in redlands
Old 07-13-2007, 06:06 AM

buisness license
Boring process
Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ricepatrol78,Jul 13 2007, 06:46 AM
its very difficult to get it going and to succeed. Everyone has a clothing line. You know how many i see advertised like on myspace.com and other online sites? In my opinion unless you are sure you got some killer designs that are different than other stuff out there i'd maybe look into something else... You might spend alot me money getting these printed then be stuck with alot of clothes. Remember even shaq had a line. What happened to that?
EVERYBODY has a clothing line(I should know, I help run a streetwear boutique). I guess the demographic you're targeting and how good your designs are will determine whether or not you do well. You don't necessarily need a business license at first and if you're doing all the screening yourself but you'll definately need it when trying to get wholesale accounts and if you're line gets picked up anywhere. Some shops/companies do not like dealing with people without a business license.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:43 AM

good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:57 AM

thank you for the information. i think my designs are pretty unique and interesting, and ill be targeting the urban/skate clothes demographic. can anybody help me set up a sick website?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Capital is 90% of business owners failure.

9/10 business fails in 3 years
99/100 rest fails in 3 years..

90% is due to LACK of capital, poor marketing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't have a detailed 30 page business plan, with Target, Audience, Marketing, Projections, locations, Financials, Cost of goods, 1-2-3-4 year projection, Equiptment cost, print cost, etc etc... then you're not ready for a business.

All my business plans are 60 pages long, full charts and projections, read by business owners and SCORE.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cash is King (capital) and plans.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even with a 30+ page business plan, people fail just because the market is slow.

clothing market is one of the toughest markets to get into. I'd never get into that field.... again
Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't jump into the business just because you think you are ready. Like BC said, come up with a business plan first. But if I were you, I won't invest a large amount of money from the beginning. Start small from your home. Cut the unnecessary overheads as much as you possibly can.

*important*
Having a friend as a business partner may not be the smartest idea.

Quick Reply: advice on starting a business