California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

For all the Golfers out there

Old 05-17-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For all the Golfers out there

Well I decided golf will be my new hobby that I will try out since I've always wanted to play but never really acted on it.

I need help though...is golf something I need lessons on or can I just learn it by following my friends around. I'm pretty quick at picking things up but I want to learn the right way and I heard everyone's style is different.

Also as I'm looking for clubs to buy, I notice a huge difference in golf club prices and sizes. What is a good size for a guy that is 5'9"? Also what is a good set/brand to get started with? I don't want anything too crazy but I still want good quality.

Any tips or advice would help me out a lot.

Lastly, any easy courses in the O.C area to recommend, basically looking for the "bunny slopes" of golf courses so I don't make a fool out of myself.

Thanks..Mike C.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:08 PM

yes take lesson it will help you in the long run... and yes everybody has a different style....

okay most golf club you buy from a golf show are all standard it don't matter how tall or how short you are all the club are made equal length...

Unless you wanna pay some extra cash and reshaft your set with new custom size shaft to meet you hieght the go for it

Start clubs some many hehehehe

BIG BRANDS calloway,Tylor made, Ping, Cleveland, titlist, etc

My first start club was knock off of some king cobras oversized....

that was replace with my new Nike set hehe i love them

okay i haven't played for while since i moved out in the OC but i feel like playing now since its nice out here...

golf course i don't know any bunny ones but just look for the cheapest place.. oh but i were you i would spend my time in the golf range until you can hit all you clubs very good.. if not your not going to have fun....
Old 05-17-2006, 02:21 PM

i suggest if you are starting out get used clubs.... well because when you get better thats when you want to invest in a good set of clubs and a good set of clubs will set you back a pretty penny...

and yes you need lessons.... tiger woods still gets lessons he just maybe takes them 2-4 times a year....

just find a local public course go there and play i suggest getting twilight greens as they are cheaper and usually most of the time the courses arent packed (meaning there arent always people on your back wanting you to go faster or play through)...

and one more piece of advice you might hate golf when you first pick it up but keep working at it... its a tough sport but to me very relaxing
Old 05-17-2006, 02:28 PM

I agree. I would take lessons. You can go to the Lake Forest practice center off Jeronimo and Cherry and pick up some lessons for around $300.

That's also a cheap easy course to get you started. There's also a driving range for your use (which, if you get lessons, you get some free range balls).

Besides the Lake Forest course, there are a few other
Old 05-17-2006, 02:29 PM

As for clubs, just find something cheap. When you are learning, honestly, the clubs that you have make absolutely no difference in the quality of your game. You are going to have a hard enough time simply hitting the ball in the air, worrying now about the quality of your shots will be a real waste of time.

As for learning, just keep going to the driving range. If you have any friends which are really good, have them explain the dynamics of the swing to you. Once you learn the basics, you need to repeat them over and over again so that your body gets accostomed to making the same movements. The golf swing isn't a very natural thing, although it looks very fluid, it takes a lot of practice to get to where it is smooth.

Lessons are always going to be helpful. Learning from a professional willl get you a lot farther a lot faster. They know all of the little tips and tricks to help you learn the basics of the swing a lot quicker, and they will get you out on the course and working on your game on your own a lot sooner.

Just try and keep in mind that it isn't easy. You aren't going to be good for a while, you just have to know that all the work that you are putting in is going to get you there. It just takes patience. That is the most important thing to understand in golf, and that rule never changes no matter how good that you ever get. You need to remain focused and patient with everything. The second that you lose your cool, no matter how good you are, your game goes up in smoke.

So keep a smile on your face ever time that you whiff and top the ball, becuase sooner or later those things will only be distant memories. Good luck.

Jon - 2 handicap
Old 05-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by DVSwetwilly,May 17 2006, 02:08 PM
golf course i don't know any bunny ones but just look for the cheapest place.. oh but i were you i would spend my time in the golf range until you can hit all you clubs very good.. if not your not going to have fun....
Definately agree with that quote 100%! Go to the range, practice getting the ball in the air and narrow it down to hitting the ball in the general direction - before going out on the course. If not, you may get discouraged.

Don't worry about getting custom clubs (fitted) - as you learn your swing, things change, so don't fork out the dough just for it to all change 2 years later.

Irons wise, I started with a set of Orlimars - not the best stuff in the world - especially since I had to replace (waranty) my VERY first set of Olimars cause the head flew off with the ball at the driving range But it was cheap and did the job.

I quickly went to Callaways and stayed true to them since - I'm a die hard Callaway fan - but everybody's got their own opinions.

I'd say get lessons - I took one of those Nike Golf group lessons at the local golf course - it was around $200 for 5-6 lessons, free round of golf at that location, free round with the instructor, a $60 range card and some knick knacks. It'll give you the basics to start. When I went to my first private instruction, he was pretty suprised that I had the swing I had, coming from a beginner group course. It was a lot easier to tweak the swing from there.

Get that all down - and hit the course asap - hitting on the range and playing on the course are two COMPLETELY different stories! You're forced to deal with roughs (tall grass, sand, dirt, trees, etc) - all the things that make it slightly harder than hitting it off the mat.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:38 PM

get something with an offset(do not buy blades) and get something affordable

im a titleist whore from the start(except i use mizuno blades now)

i recommend regular flex shaft, regular length for a beginner, my first set was a ladys set with graphite shafts ive been playing since i was 8 yers old
LOL then i moved to Titleist oversize + DCI irons

-mike kim
Old 05-17-2006, 03:19 PM

For OC courses, there's one in Newport and 73 Fwy. I think it's called Newport Golf/Tee Room or something.

For clubs, go steel instead of graphite. Borrow a friend's set (had a few who were really nice enough to let me borrow 'em) and see how you like 'em. Someone already mentioned mizuno's which I really like also.

Lessons? No need cause you'll eventually pick it up! =) I took lessons and my younger bro who never had formal lessons spanks me all day. Please do try the range first. Keep your eye on the ball! Go twice with 50 balls each session then hit the course!

You wont be like Tiger (or maybe you will) but unlike Tiger, you get to hang out with your close buddies with an open container (alcoholic preferred) yelling four! Do pickup the ball after 8 strokes... haha.

Basically, just have fun out there!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by nakedmike,May 17 2006, 02:38 PM
get something with an offset(do not buy blades) and get something affordable
what does that mean? offset compared to blades?

So I'm thinking that I'll stop by Play it Again Sports and look around for some used clubs...Anybody know of any other places to pick up used clubs?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM

blades are the irons with no "dents" in the back. what nakedmike was talking about are the "cavity backs" which have the pretty big sized "dents" directly behind the face of the club. these clubs are much more forgiving because of the bigger sweetspot.

all those out there who wanna hit the links, PM a brotha!!

Quick Reply: For all the Golfers out there