California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Best SoCal Drives?

Old 12-29-2002, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link. That should keep me busy for a very long time.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Webstore, Kekoa and I did Turnbull Canyon on Sat. Hadn't done that one in years and it is alot of fun. Short, very short but no traffic and lots of twisties.

Duc
Old 12-31-2002, 09:22 PM

Las Flores Canyon in Malibu is really, really good. Smooth pavement, very twisty, a couple of hairpins, beautiful views.
Mulholland is too flat and boring with too much traffic, you'd have to go really fast there to make it any fun, like 100, and there are too many cops there.
And as far as I understand, there is no posted speed limit in Las Flores Canyon.
By the way what is the speed limit after the sign "end 25 speed limit"? 55?
Old 12-31-2002, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by SEVNT4
I haven't done the Glendora, Azusa or Latigo runs yet but will definitely get those on the list.

Topanga used to be fun but too much traffic and it's too close to residential areas with people living in those hills.

Kanan and Las Virgenes are cool too but Mullholland is sweeeet! The Rock Store is great too for real tight switchbacks.

Here's a pretty good site for roads, maps and reviews from canyon carvers.

http://www.mulhollandraceway.org/gallery.html
Hmm cool link, thank you. Latigo Canyon appears to be the best. Looks even better than the Las Flores.

---------------
Latigo Canyon Rd: Perfect 5 on our 5 scale!

Everybody loves Latigo Canyon Road. And, so do we. Latigo Canyon Rd is the quintessential canyon road for sports car drivers in the Santa Monica Mountains. 166 turns, exactly. Drives best as a hill climb, going inland from the beach. Tends to be rough in places. Despite it's degree of technicality, unlike Yerba Buena, it's so easy to drive. Best of all, it just seems to last forever. If that's not enough, it's right in the middle of the Santa Monica Mountains, in close proximity to so many other 5 star roads.

The only problem with Latigo is the right hand turn on to Kanan Rd. It's not too difficult to take a caravan right onto Kanan, then left on to Mulholland, though. Plan carefully... traffic at Kanan & Latigo moves at 75 mph, plus, so make sure all your people know to use liberal throttle accelerating onto Kanan from Latigo.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:43 PM

Or how about this? Sounds like a perfect road for an S2000...

5 Star Technical: A perfect 5 on our 5 scale (Incredible)!

The best technical drive in Southern California, this route faithfully meanders the western summit of the Santa Monica portion of the transverse ranges, as if it attempts to follow it to its seaward terminus. If you don't enjoy this drive, then you'll certainly enjoy the many scenic vistas that overlook the Pacific Ocean to the south, and the inland valleys to the north. Fauna you encounter in this remote region of the transverse ranges are endangered.

Automakers frequently make use Yerba Buena to shoot television commercials of their cars. Yerba Buena is the most remote area in the southern Transverse Ranges.

Little Sycamore banks north off Mulholland Hwy exactly 1/4th of a mile west of Decker Canyon Road. Crossing the Ventura County Line, the FID changes to Yerba Buena Rd, a very tight 12 mile menagerie of 188 sucessive turns that crisscross the summit several times before plunging south to the Pacific Ocean at Ventura County Line Beach.

This is not a good place for sport bikes, grand turismo, or boutique automobiles. This drive requires as many as 10 shifts per mile. Not only do passengers frequently succumb to motion sickness, drivers frequently do, as well, especially at night. Many drivers succumb to disorientation. It's a real work out.

The asphalt surface is variable. Visibility is fair to good, but it is prone to fog. In some instances drivers forgo a perfect apex to avoid bottoming out. This road rewards lightweight, agile sports cars with short gear ratios. And, it rewards effective heel and toe. The opportunities for heel and toe induced oversteer are abundant. There are many opportunities for the car to take air. For cars with long overhangs or dance floor suspensions, Yerba Buena takes no prisoners. An OEM ride height is optimal for this drive. This road is simply too much for automobiles heavier than 3200 lbs.

Yerba Buena is to Slalom as Cerro Noroeste is to downhill. Turbocharged cars fare poorly here. Long legged Porsches and Ferraris fare even worse. Turns are very tight, and successive. No car worth its salt will ever hit its terminal velocity on Yerba Buena. Thoroughbred automobiles become very clumsy on Yerba Buena. They'll use 1st gear for almost every turn. Only a professional driver in a Porsche or Ferrari might justify momentary engagement of 3rd gear, but doing so will subsequently be rewarded by the necessity of an awkward 3rd to 1st gear downshift in most exotic or boutique automobiles. Over this 12 mile drive, there are exactly 188 turns. Hence, Yerba Buena is murder on gearboxes, tires, and shock towers.

Looping counterclockwise to end the drive at Pacific Coast Highway is the only way to drive Yerba Buena, if not for the singular reason that Neptune's, a seafood grill at County line beach, serves as a principle beach front KGL where you can rest your cars and drivers not 50 meters overlooking a sea of anatomically correct females sunning themselves, shoreline to the Pacific Ocean.

General Note: This road is never patrolled, and you almost never encounter sport bikes (cafe racers don't do well here). But, extreme care should be exerted, in that it is a wilderness area, and you're apt to encounter hikers. Furthermore, the road is also used once a year for a cross country marathon. The only time the California Highway Patrol aggressively patrols this road is when they run that race. You'll see a start line and a finish line painted across the road, perhaps 20 kilometers apart.

If you please: Do not drive this road between 10:00pm and 6:00 am. These are observed quite hours adopted by the National Park Service. The least we can do is allow nature 8 hours free from our relentless, hedonistic pursuit. It's chaparal climax vegetation up there (fire-spore germination), so: Please... do not smoke, or light camp fires (they'll throw you in jail... with our blessing!).
Old 01-02-2003, 04:53 PM

Wow! I can't believe I never heard of it, or tried it! I'm down if someone organizes a run there.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wavelet
[B]Or how about this? Sounds like a perfect road for an S2000...

5 Star Technical: A perfect 5 on our 5 scale (Incredible)!

The best technical drive in Southern California, this route faithfully meanders the western summit of the Santa Monica portion of the transverse ranges, as if it attempts to follow it to its seaward terminus. If you don't enjoy this drive, then you'll certainly enjoy the many scenic vistas that overlook the Pacific Ocean to the south, and the inland valleys to the north. Fauna you encounter in this remote region of the transverse ranges are endangered.

Automakers frequently make use Yerba Buena to shoot television commercials of their cars. Yerba Buena is the most remote area in the southern Transverse Ranges.

Little Sycamore banks north off Mulholland Hwy exactly 1/4th of a mile west of Decker Canyon Road. Crossing the Ventura County Line, the FID changes to Yerba Buena Rd, a very tight 12 mile menagerie of 188 sucessive turns that crisscross the summit several times before plunging south to the Pacific Ocean at Ventura County Line Beach.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:05 PM

74 and I are planning to run Latigo/Mulholland/Yerba Buena sometime in the near future. I personally wouldn't mind having a few more S's, but I wouldn't feel too comfortable with a large crowd, as I certainly don't qualify as a drive-master. Maybe a limit of 5 cars, or maybe someone who knows a little more about putting together a rally?
Old 01-02-2003, 05:13 PM

Ditto. More cars = more trouble and unexpected issues.

I would say up to 10 cars is pretty good. There are a few people that I can think of that would probably do real well. Some of them have track time and karting experience.

I've participated in a few TSD (time - speed-distance) rallies YEARS ago and they're tough to organize but I found this link with some good info.

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~moose/plug.html

This type of event usually wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea since it's not about speed but rather timing and accuracy, hence all the more reason to keep the group small if we want to do "spirited" runs.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by payneinthe
[B]74 and I are planning to run Latigo/Mulholland/Yerba Buena sometime in the near future.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:33 PM

That sounds like fun.... in the Suburban. If I'm in the S, I want to be doing some spirited driving. That's not quite what I had in mind when I said "rally". :-)
Old 01-02-2003, 05:38 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveUCI
[B]Wow!

Quick Reply: Best SoCal Drives?