California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Going To Willow Springs This Saturday

Old 07-20-2004, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going To Willow Springs This Saturday

i'm going to go Willow Springs this Saturday July 24th ... it will be my first ever track events... looking forward to it.. but sigh.. $120.. plus $200 for front Azenis Sport sigh.... $$$... (student on a tight budget)... nevertheless i'm looking forward to it!!
any S2k going to this event!?...

any suggestions for a first timer!?... feel free please!!!

thanks,
Mike
Old 07-21-2004, 07:36 AM

bring lots of bottled water... it's going to be hot out there
Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mlswoosh,Jul 20 2004, 10:50 PM
i'm going to go Willow Springs this Saturday July 24th ... it will be my first ever track events... looking forward to it.. but sigh.. $120.. plus $200 for front Azenis Sport sigh.... $$$... (student on a tight budget)... nevertheless i'm looking forward to it!!
any S2k going to this event!?...

any suggestions for a first timer!?... feel free please!!!

thanks,
Mike
what is required at these event? I really want to start tracking my car, but am wondering whether there is something in particular that needs to be installed on the s2000 first (i.e. rollbar)?

Good luck and maybe i'll see you at the next one..
Old 07-21-2004, 08:57 AM

The S2k is race ready from the showroom floor. No Mods of any kind are necessary. As you get better, you may want to upgrade brake pads, switch to race tires, or if you're going to do head to head racing, add a roll cage, but right now all you need is a helmet, about $150, and the desire to have more fun than you ever thought you could with your clothes still on.

Still spots available for this w/e, and if it's your first time a motorcycle helmet is OK.

http://www.speedventures.net/7-24-2004_event.asp

PM me if you have any questions...
Old 07-21-2004, 09:54 AM

Thanks for all the info drewchie. Im actually having a "Bitterman" rollbar installed tomorrow along with my EDFC.

Another question I have though. Are there any mods that are not allowed? (i.e. straight pipe)
Old 07-21-2004, 10:03 AM

Good choice on the roll bar.

No restrictions. (Although, I don't think nuclear powered cars are allowed on the Streets course )

A lot of guys trailer their non-street-legal cars to the track.

We leave the phonebook sized rule book to the SCCA. We're just out there to be safe and have fun. (There is a head to head race group that competes occasionally at SV events for which you'd need that rollbar, but those guys are much too fast for me )
Old 07-21-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by drewchie,Jul 21 2004, 10:03 AM
Good choice on the roll bar.

No restrictions. (Although, I don't think nuclear powered cars are allowed on the Streets course )

A lot of guys trailer their non-street-legal cars to the track.

We leave the phonebook sized rule book to the SCCA. We're just out there to be safe and have fun. (There is a head to head race group that competes occasionally at SV events for which you'd need that rollbar, but those guys are much too fast for me )
Thanks again. I definitely want to go out and try this. Unfortunately work does not allow me to do it this weekend. Maybe we can all get together and go to the next one. I was looking at the schedule and it says the next event is early August at the Big Track.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:26 AM

The big track's lots of fun, but very different from Streets. It's not nearly as technical, but you can go a lot faster. Turn 8 can be taken at 120 MPH+, but I'm way too chicken. (I'm down with the concept of going that fast, and of turning the wheel. I'm just still not completely comfortable with the idea of doing both at the same time )

I'll be out there one of the days that w/e, although I'm really a wimp on the big track.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by drewchie,Jul 21 2004, 07:36 AM
bring lots of bottled water... it's going to be hot out there
haha.. i know!!.. thanks!... any suggestions on the helmet? my friend told me anything with "snell" approve would be fine... is that correct??

thanks,
Mike
Old 07-22-2004, 10:13 AM

Actually, if it's your first time you can even use a motorcycle helmet.

Eventually you'll want to get a helmet rated SA2000. An SA95 helmet is only going to be ok for the next year or so. Don't wanna mess with the noggin

Quick Reply: Going To Willow Springs This Saturday