California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Honda finally gave up

Old 06-30-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well some of you are familiar with my case, some of you are not. In short, I purchased my car in May 2001. In August 2001 a valve broke in the number one cylinder from what looks to have been caused by failed valve keeper (later determined by an independent "expert"). Honda, without even opening up the motor, blamed me for a misshift/overrev and wouldn't fix it. After exploring every avenue with AHM to see a fair and civil resolution to the matter (I wanted them to place the motor under warranty), I retained a lawyer in February 2002. At this point a replacement motor was not acceptable; I wanted a vehicle buy back.

One year and eleven months later, AHM finally decides to settle for what I want ONE DAY before the court date. So they're buying back the car plus paying my expenses for this whole mess. Paying $705.36 each month for over two years on a car that I only drove for three months kinda puts a damper on your life. I'm glad it's finally over and I can move on from this.

What's sad is that Honda lost a customer for life. I purchased an S2000. I purchased an F4i. I purchased both in 2001 on the reputation of Honda's products and would have expected them to stand behind them. I would have probably purchased a new 600rr this year. I'm currently looking for a daily driver and the Civic Hybrid would have been very attractive.

Granted, I won't make the slightest dent in Honda's wallet... but you better believe that I will not be in the market for anymore of their products. Because I don't believe in their products? No, I have always seen my case as just "a lemon"; an anomoly that is inherent in mass production. I have a problem with how they handled the situation as a company. As a company, AHM gets a huge thumbs down from me. Will I run around preaching to everyone that will listen about the evil of Honda? No. Will I relay my story to all that ask? You better believe it. Do people ask my advice when it comes to cars and bikes? Yes they do. Again, will all that really hurt Honda? Of course not...

So I am no longer an owner of a sivlerstone/black 2001 Honda S2000. I'll have my eye on the 2004 line of cars to see what new toy catches my eye. As you all have for the past two years, if I come out to events it'll have to be on the F4i... well at least it's a silver/black high-revving Honda! I still love the S2000 to pieces. I am just not too fond of Honda...

I have some parts that I ordered before the motor blew that arrives afterwards. They have never been installed and have just been collecting dust for the last two years. PM me if you're interested in any of these and make me an offer:

[SOLD] DiGrappa black Aluminum X-Brace **NEW** 1 2
[SOLD] Rick's black leather console cover with silver stitching **NEW** 1 2 3
[SOLD] Rick's black leather shift boot with silver stitching **NEW** 1 2 3
[SOLD] Rick's S2000 silver visor stickers (to cover the airbag warning stickers) **NEW** 1
[SOLD] Coastal Metals dead pedal
Stock windscreen (just screen, no mounting bracket)
Stock side markers (I have two sets)
[SOLD] Honda S2000 Silverstone touch up paint (never opened) **NEW**
[SOLD] MuzMat one piece floor mat: black LHD, black trim, silver logo, anchor eyelet, driver side heel guard **NEW** 1 2 3 4
MuzMat roof mat: charcoal mat, charcoal trim **NEW** 1 2 3

InsaniT
Old 06-30-2003, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by InsaniT

you better believe that I will not be in the market for anymore of their products. Because I don't believe in their products? No, I have always seen my case as just "a lemon"; an anomoly that is inherent in mass production. I have a problem with how they handled the situation as a company. As a company, AHM gets a huge thumbs down from me. Will I run around preaching to everyone that will listen about the evil of Honda? No. Will I relay my story to all that ask? You better believe it. Do people ask my advice when it comes to cars and bikes? Yes they do. Again, will all that really hurt Honda? Of course not...

InsaniT
Yours is a truly sad story and I hope someone at Honda reads it.

I also think your reasoning in the paragraph I quoted above is very good. Without knowing the other side of the story, your perspective seems reasonable, balanced, and appropo.

From one car/bike enthusiast to another... Good luck.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:21 AM

Congratulations man, glad it turned out in your favor!
Old 06-30-2003, 10:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, and sorry for the bad experience.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:23 AM
S2R

hey rich...im glad it's all ova. let me know what you gonna buy next when you know...see you soon. i'm sure we'll all chill when that foo jim comes back
Old 06-30-2003, 11:14 AM

Very well written. Your point is perfect. I loved my S2000, before I inadvertently rolled it (avoiding deer). But......I didn't like the approach to the "oil bolt" issue. They would replace them on euro specs but not U.S. spec. I happen to be living in Germany at the moment and was very concerned for my motors longevity. Luckily I perfectly destroyed my car. I miss it, and still think of the next "S", bigger engine etc.,etc. but I've ordered a Z-4 3.0 (fun factor with a little polish). I'm not happy with the way Honda treats its customers, more directly America Honda. They lost me as a customer.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:35 AM

To finally hear a resolution to this matter makes my jaw drop!! I'm very happy your battle has been won Rich, but I'm sorry for the terrible beating you received in the meantime.

Definitely keep us posted on your next ride, and see ya around.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:40 AM

you should go see EVO8 and Subaru STI =) sorry to hear about your bad exp w/ AHM
Old 06-30-2003, 11:44 AM

Another case of AHM driving customers away. I wish there was some way to shake up AHM and make some real changes. to you for holding their @$$ to the fire and seeing it through.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:47 AM

Its sad that they strung you along till the day before your court date. Really really unfortunate.

Most importantly, Im glad that you atleast get some of your money back. No money though, will ever replace what you went through. Good luck

Quick Reply: Honda finally gave up