California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

I received a traffic camera ticket

Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I received a traffic camera ticket

I received a ticket in the mail last week for making a left turn at an intersection after the light turned red. It was a huge mistake and after reviewing the possible options of fighting the ticket (courtesy of http://www.highwayrobbery.net), there seems to be no legitimate way to battle it. I am contemplating finding a lawyer. Otherwise I must pay $466 for the ticket plus $64.00 for traffic school.

Has anybody used a Lawyer or law firm for such a thing?
How much did it end up costing?
Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:14 PM

pay the fine and go to traffic school...you never end up winning and if u lose u pay for the ticket and your not able to attend traffic school
Old 07-05-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by arabic_ap2,Jul 6 2010, 12:14 AM
pay the fine and go to traffic school...you never end up winning and if u lose u pay for the ticket and your not able to attend traffic school
Sorry, but its true.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the only time i'd fight a ticket is if they're wrong (and you have a legitimate alibi or evidence).

if you're at fault and you know it... be responsible.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by edspecR,Jul 6 2010, 12:42 AM

if you're at fault and you know it... be responsible.
What great advice. Now I will just walk on over to the magical tree in my backyard that grows money.

I know I am at fault. But funds are tight. Hence why I am here. Not to be told what I already know.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by S2FARSI,Jul 5 2010, 11:45 PM
I know I am at fault. But funds are tight. Hence why I am here. Not to be told what I already know.
And you still want a lawyer?

It's cheaper, and simpler, to just pay the ticket and attend traffic school (plus our state could use the money ).
Old 07-06-2010, 07:13 AM

Someone said you can find your own traffic school and skip the add'l $64 fee the court tacks on, is that true?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 AM

If it was questionable, then you might be able to fight it. However, since you seem to know that you made a mistake, take responsibility for it, pay the fine and just don't let it happen again

Sorry to hear that funds are tight but paying it would definitely save you the most money in the long run. Those cameras are a pain as well because they take cameras AND video so if it was an obvious mistake then they have all the proof they need and it would do you no good to try and fight it.

As for finding your own traffic school, I think that only applies in certain counties. When I had gotten a ticket for rolling a right turn and getting caught by a camera in Santa Ana, they wouldn't let me take it online.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to consider is if the cameras are faulty, then you have an affirmative defense. Remember the redlight cameras in Costa Mesa near Triangle Square? There was an article in the OC Register about folks fighting and winning because the cameras were not calibrated and were snapping random pics. I'll poke around and see if I can find the exact article. In the mean time, here's something interesting:

http://www.ocregister.com/news/red-2...ght-court.html
Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While a recent Register investigation revealed that as many as 25,000 Orange County motorists have gotten off the hook without paying for their red-light camera violations - thus shorting O.C. cities about $3.5 million - what can be said about the effectiveness of the cameras in preventing injuries and deaths in car accidents?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cameras...ercent-red.html

See if you can find that OCR article - it might help you out.

Quick Reply: I received a traffic camera ticket