California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Insurance Companies closing the track day loophole

Old 10-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Oct 21 2008, 06:17 AM
I hate to play devil's advocate but when are skills learned in a HPDE really going to help street driving except say in rain/snow conditions or if you're just going too fast on your own and get into a bad situation?

I'm a big fan of car control and an avid/experienced autocrosser but 99% of the time if you drive a safe speed on the street you're not going to need to catch a huge tail slide at 60 mph like on a road course or need most of the skills you acquire at a performance driving event. Most the people I know that autocross/attend HPDE's are faster/more aggresive drivers on public roads as well since they know they have the skills to handle the car sliding around a 180 u turn even though it's a stupid idea.

I highly advocate driving schools like Tire Rack/BMWCCA Street Survival by applying low speed car control and vehicle dynamics in real world situations but honestly a HPDE isn't going to make most people a safer driver in normal situations on public roads. Track driving and street driving are 2 completely different things IMO, if you're within the reasonable posted speed limits you'll rarely run into situations that require track skills.

DRIVE SAFE - Regular Street is no track course.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Oct 20 2008, 06:17 PM
THAAAAAAAT'S right.............discourage people from taking performance driving courses to increase their skills.

Dumb stupid f**ks.

Usually you say very inteligent things but not this time. You obviously do not have a very good understanding of insurance.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can play devil's advocate but the truth is having a feel for handling your car when it loses control, or what you can do without losing control, is a big edge when it DOES happen on the street. I'll agree most of that can be learned at auto-x speeds but it can't be learned on the street without great risk. The track is the right place for it.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Chris Soignier of Austin, Tex., will not be taking his Porsche Cayman to the track, which he had done with his previous cars. When he read his renewal notice from Progressive Insurance last November, he found that the Cayman was not covered on the track.
That's Chris S here on s2ki.

Anyway, whenever I take my car or motorcycle onto the track, I do it with full realization that a bad wreck could be a total loss and I'd simply have to cover it out of pocket.

What I really HATE though, is dropping coverage for just ASKING about what the policy covers.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh, and I had two incidents in the past year that I feel benefited from DE/autox experience. In one I was able to completely avoid a collision, and the other IMO mitigated the severity of the collision. These were purely reflexive actions, there wasn't any time to think through a response to the situation.

And in general, I really enjoy driving fast. Having a controlled outlet for that need makes me much less likely to do anything stupid on the street.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:43 AM

well that sucks

are all insurance like that or is there a list of "performance driving school" friendly insurance company

btw, when are they going to raise the insurance preimum of those small-build women driving huge SUV that are still talking on the cell phone without hand free devices?? I bet those cause more accident than people driving on the track.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Oct 20 2008, 05:17 PM
THAAAAAAAT'S right.............discourage people from taking performance driving courses to increase their skills.

Dumb stupid f**ks.

I'll be sure to be the common 23 year old doing 137mph on the freeway more often as a result. We can all do our part.

Thanks again!!!

-Greg

Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM

interesting stuff
I guess i'm not calling my INS co to ask them if i'm covered on the track
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM

I know a guy that totaled his car at Big Willow. He had it towed back home and told his insurance company that he swerved to avoid a dog near his home and plowed into a wall.

His insurance company paid out the cost of the car and then some...
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ae86pwr,Oct 20 2008, 05:16 PM
http://www.racingdentist.com/

I am sure USAA has internet to look you up buddy.
lol

Quick Reply: Insurance Companies closing the track day loophole