California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

To LeaRn Korean

Old 01-09-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To LeaRn Korean

Well people, I studied some japanese back in school, most of which is forgotten sadly.

HOWEVER, I work for a Korean owned company and at this point I think it'd be highly beneficial to be able to speak it at least a little, or even understand some for that matter.

SO, I've considered "Rosetta stone" so I could study on my own. Then I figure I know a decent amount of Koreans that can speak in purposely around me after a while and help clear up confusing things if I get stuck etc.

Anyone tried "Rosetta Stone" ? I'm really anxious to learn at least some Korean.

-Greg
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I would say is learn a language know as when you get older it will be almost impossible to learn one.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 AM

a while back I tried it for Mandarin. To give you a bit of background, I can get around on my Mandarin (ask questions, mostly understand the answers about food, directions) that I picked up on my own - books, flashcards and just trying. I can't hold a real conversation though.

I bought Rosetta Stone, and found it... disappointing. I didn't use all the functions (like the microphone for practice) but did use a lot of the other stuff within the system. What I didn't like was that it didn't give explanations of why you didn't get something right or wrong. Typically there would be four pictures - like a boy standing above, then behind, then below, then in front of an airplane. The sentence would be given (you can choose oral/written or both), and you have to choose the right picture. Sometimes I would get something right, but not sure why, or wrong, and not sure why. It got frustrating because my grammar wasn't great to start with, so it became hard of trying to figure out both grammar and vocab at the same time.

Conversely, I'm betting that if you're real persistent, your brain will wire better this way - potentially. Not so much for me. They do have a demo disk for free, and I think they let you try it for 3 months and can return it, so it's worth a try.

Best way really is take a small class with lotsa practice.

All the Korean you really need to know is "Ha Jee Ma!" - "knock it off!"
Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Gatsbee13

I've also looked into rosetta stone for vietnamese.. but all they have is level 1.. i can speak and understand vietnamese at an intermediate level.. just trying to advance my skills for various reasons. the only thing i really hate about rosetta is its frikkin expensive. but i still believe that having conversations with my parents in vietnamese is the best learning "software". GL
Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

1st you got to LEARN not LEAN to type english
Old 01-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Gatsbee13

Originally Posted by Back-cracker' date='Jan 9 2009, 08:24 AM
1st you got to LEARN not LEAN to type english
Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM
beb

Best way to learn is while drinking soju with us Koreans. Thats when youll learn all the fun things to say!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 AM

^ right uhmm.... I don't want my friends to hear that "Greg was beaten to death while visit Seoul because he said something stupid to someone"

Def have to do hang outs and speak around me lots.

lol

BC> Thanks for your consistency

Gangster ass me just aquired a free Level 1 Korean version. I guess I'll give it a try here, I see the 4 pics thing. Everything is in Hangul or whatever so I'm very confused.

When I'm seeing the pics I'm going ....is it wrong because infront vs. behind? or because it's a girl vs. a boy? Or is it because the subject is wrong?

It seems very confusing..... It seems this program would compliment someone already studying but not someone starting fresh. I'll dig in harder and put in about 12hrs of study and see if it comes together for me at all. If I get to 24hrs of straight study and I find nothing...... I'm gonna have to take classes

-G
Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 AM
beb

We'll test out how much korean u learn by drank meet....
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM

ok for F's sake.....

nam ja vs nam ja ie ????

=

man vs. boy

Is that correct? one means boy and one means man?
No I can't romanize Hangol....(hangul?) very well

Quick Reply: To LeaRn Korean