Jabbar,
i have the exact setup you are planning:

My entire setup planned was:
ACT HDSS Clutch/PP
xACT ProLite Flywheel
OEM Throwout Bearing
OEM Pilot Bearing
Honda MTF Fluid

you can take a listen of my car sometime if you'd like. may i ask why you're concerned with chatter 'at a stop' in particular? i can hear chatter slightly at a stop. But where it really comes out and is annoying is on decel. Other than that, the setup is very nice.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first time I'm actually changing stuff on my car and from what I had heard was that the lighter the flywheel, the more chatter you'll hear at idle.

This may not be true, I won't know until I get the setup myself. I'm learning as I'm going =p

Yea, I'd like to come over and listen when you're free. Pming you Chris. Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Spend $200 more and do it right. Having used ACT in the past, never will I again.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 PM

I just looked at the Exedy website. I think the kit Hue was talking about was the HH01SD.

It's a 6 puck disc. I'm going to have a horrid time in traffic with this setup I think. Any opinions? I can't find a lot of people going with the Exedy kit. The ACT setup seems to be ridiculously popular, but it's like 50% love it, 50% absolutely hate it.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

honestly, i don't know why so many people hate ACT. i even had an ACT clutch spring bust out on my integra before, but i put one in my s2k w/o hesitation. i personally think it's a great clutch and a great price, compared to others.

There was a lot of hubbub in the FI forum about the old PP design being too strong and causing crank walk. But no one could ever come up with proof that it was due to the ACT PP alone and in fact, the owner of ACT came on the forums (username: ACTman) and gave us all sorts of information of how his PP would not cause crank walk. So the general consensus shifted in favor of the idea that the PP did not cause crank walk.

If you look up his thread in the FI forum, you'll find LOADS of great information and data direct from ACT. i have confidence in them, especially after he came to the forum to help us out.

This is not to say that Exedy isn't any good. i've only heard good things about them too, but they are more expensive so i think less people purchase their stuff.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ I remember this issue too and that's how I remember it going... I think that was some number of years ago and since I haven't heard the drama.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by jabbarahm,Aug 25 2010, 01:00 PM
I just looked at the Exedy website. I think the kit Hue was talking about was the HH01SD.

It's a 6 puck disc. I'm going to have a horrid time in traffic with this setup I think. Any opinions? I can't find a lot of people going with the Exedy kit. The ACT setup seems to be ridiculously popular, but it's like 50% love it, 50% absolutely hate it.
Just get the ACT kit you were looking into to begin with. I have it. It's great for daily driving and holds extremely well. Yeah it definitely chatters from time to time and more so when the A/C is on at idle. It seems to me that with any aftermarket clutch/flywheel set up you're going to have more noise.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:43 PM

It comes down to budget and how picky the end user is. Many folks can't afford a great clutch and ACT it is, nothing wrong with that. I bought it thinking it's a great deal and it's great quality which it's not. The whole designed revolved around increasing clamping force, at the expense of the throw out bearing, noise, and driveability. I found the compound they use for the organic clutch to have very high variability due to temperature. All in all you can hold more power but you must be ready to deal with the drewbacks that make this clutch available at this price point.

I will hold out and use only OEM parts until I can afford an aftermarket unit that is more livable. I've always been a fan of the single plate carbon from Excedy. One day...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 PM

But see I don't get it. It's not like the Exedy setup is THAT much more expensive. When you're spending like 1500 on the job, might as well spring an extra 200 if Exedy really produces that much better of a ride, no? I mean, if it doesn't have as much chatter and has the same clamping, same reliability and longevity...might as well, right?

Meh...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:44 PM

what i did for track use just for fun and street.. i have the exact setup you are planning:

ACT HDSS Clutch/PP
xACT ProLite Flywheel
OEM Throwout Bearing
OEM Pilot Bearing
Honda MTF Fluid

all i bought from tommy at Gotuning love the set up and also tommy recommended me this setup for my use track and street.. but if your worried about the fly wheel being to light then go with competition

The Steel flywheel is recommended for naturally aspiriated and/or street driven applications. This flywheel will work with ALL performance and stock clutch assemblies.

* Preserves low end torque and drive ability.
* One piece ring gear for high durability.
* Weight varies from 11LBS - 14LBS depending on car.
* Suited for Stage 1 and Stage 2 Clutch Kits.
* Meets and exceeds SFI 1.5.

Quick Reply: Prolite Flywheel