California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Which school to go in CA: UCB, UCLA or UCSD.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:18 AM
Ray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some how I manage to get into all four schools I applied to.
So now I have to choose among UC Berkeley, UCLA or UCSD. (I also got into UCI, but it was my back-up)

Right now

1. UCSD (Bioengineering)
2. UCLA (Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering)
3. UCB (Mechanical)

Anyone have any comment, pro or con
Old 05-01-2002, 11:37 AM

Seeing as UCSD is 2nd to Johns Hopkins in Biomedical/Biomedical Engineering according to USN&WR should make UCSD a strong consideration. None of the ones listed are in the top 10 for the other fields, at least given the rankings by USN&WR.

Congratulations on your acceptances and best wishes.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:49 AM

For weather and atmosphere alone, I would say SD. I love SD. Although Westwood is a pretty cool town to go to school in.

Although I live in NorCal now, I say Screw Berkeley, too many political animals there.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:02 PM
pll

Is this for an undergraduate degree? Berkeley's EE department is the top in the UC System and it consistently ranks in the top 3. UCLA also has a good EE department. My brother went through that program and he seems to know what he's talking about I can't comment on the ME program. I had a few friends go through the BE program at Berkeley. I couldn't really tell if that program was good or not. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2002, 12:50 PM

Berkeley is hands down the best overall school that you have listed.

It was political in the 60's, but not anymore. My cousin will be attending Cal this fall and majoring in ME. For him, there was no question.

Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:26 PM
jzr

Ditto what Maverik said in that Berkeley is the best overall school listed - congratulations on getting accepted to all three! I would've gone there if my grades were good enough but instead ended up at UCSD. The education was very good (math major) but the place was completely lacking in the social/hot chicks scene. Every time I went to visit my friends at SDSU across town I was overcome with insane jealousy at the bounty of beautiful honies roaming the grounds.

An ex-gf of mine had the same dilemma you do (UCSD, UCLA, or CAL) and I convinced her to go to Berkeley. She graduates this month and is very glad she listened to me.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:35 PM

UCSD is a beautiful campus and the clases are the best for that feild but. It is a dry dry school. No parties no drinking no crazy women, it stinks in that respect. Just don't be a hero and go to Mur within the 5 schools as it is a tough lass schedule.

I have little to say more then that, I start there in ~4 months as a 3rd year student with a biochem focus.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:51 PM

i think you'll get a good education from all of the schools and good job prospects after - it's what you do AFTER college that counts.

that being said, each of the campuses has it's own distinct flavour. visit them and see which suits you. there's much more to college than books and learning!!
Old 05-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Ray

I'm in Earl Warren of UCSD. Is that better?

Been to San Diego and SDSU couple times but I've never been to UCSD. I don't really drink or party, but just how bad is the "hot chick scene?" Most of the girls from the pictures in the admissions packages look pretty but I figured that they used the nerdest of nerds in these pictures.

I am transferring from Santa Monica College, so I've already seen much of Westwood and UCLA.
Area is crowded as hell and It's only my second choice because it's the closest one from my home.

Berkeley sounds good except for the weather and cost of living. And I don't really feel like getting dusted by the super nerds at Berkeley. But Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Thunder Hill make Berkeley so tempting.
And is the female population in UCB really better looking than in UCSD. This contradicts popular belief that intelligence and beauty are inversely related.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:13 PM
pll

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray
[B]And is the female population in UCB really better looking than in UCSD.

Quick Reply: Which school to go in CA: UCB, UCLA or UCSD.