California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Ticket Advice Needed

Old 04-10-2009, 10:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ticket Advice Needed

So I got a speeding ticket from CHP on my way back from picking my car up in Sacramento. The ticket was written for 91 in a 65, 26 MPH over the posted limit. Coincidentally, if you're more than 25 MPH over the speed limit than it is a mandatory appearance and you can't take traffic school to reduce it down to a parking ticket.

The story is that I was driving on the freeway with cruise control on set to 85 MPH. I turn a bend and see a CHP on the side of the road and slow down to about 78-80 MPH. I know that's still speeding but hope that he doesn't pull me over. He starts to pull out really slowly when all of a sudden a car next to him in the same lane as me comes speeding up towards me. Sure enough, an undercover CHP. He said that he had been following me and that the other cop was going to pull me over if he didn't. He writes me up for speeding and sends me on my way.

My options are to pay the $415 and watch my insurance go up, appear in court and fight it, or send $415 with a not guilty plea in which I will have the chance to do a trial by declaration.

If I do a trial by declaration, do I have a chance of winning the case to at least drop it down to 85 in which I can take traffic school to avoid my insurance going up?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ryan
Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt they will lower the sentence but i guess u really have nothign to lose.. I did a trail be declaration and I lost. i dont know how people on here say that they do trial by declarations and the officer doesnt send the papers in.. do it.. u have to pay either way. itll be a 50/50 chance of him submitting his side.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:46 AM

What county or city? Kern county is really tough on speeding.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:46 AM

This worked for me:
Wait until a day before the ticket is due then go in and ask for an Extension for your arrainment, wait and a few days before then then try to get an extension again,show up and plead not guilty. Wait until final week before your court date then get another extension, show up 6 months later and either the cop won't be there or he won't remember the details clearly.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:21 PM

County of Kern, Mojave branch.

I live too far to actually go, so trial by declaration is the only way I can try it.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:38 PM
beb

Originally Posted by the s2k dude,Apr 10 2009, 12:03 PM
i doubt they will lower the sentence but i guess u really have nothign to lose.. I did a trail be declaration and I lost. i dont know how people on here say that they do trial by declarations and the officer doesnt send the papers in.. do it.. u have to pay either way. itll be a 50/50 chance of him submitting his side.
Were you very detailed in your TBD?

I won mine... and I was speeding.. Trick to be least detailed as possible.

Get an extension. Most courts only allow 1 60day extension now... 1wk before, go online and pay the ticket and request TBD. They will mail you paperwork within 2wks. Fill it out and at the summary section, jsut write "I did not commit this offense and believe myself to be innocent."

Just something vague that declares your innocence. At that point, unless the cop can remember something about you and the occurence, he cant fight back. Its not about the cop not responding, its about trying to remain as big a blur to the officer as possible.

Shit, I got pulled over going 80+ on 215fwy. I was in a red turbo convertible and ended up stopping for my ticket at the entrance to Irwindale. I thought he would totally remember me but didnt. I honestly believe I won because the office probably couldnt remember who I was from 3 months ago.

Good luck Ryan!
Old 04-10-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Long post!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the advice Christina!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM
beb

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Apr 10 2009, 01:39 PM
^ Long post!
Woah. That was probably your shortest post evAr!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by beb,Apr 10 2009, 03:11 PM
Woah. That was probably your shortest post evAr!
Zing!

Quick Reply: Ticket Advice Needed