Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks ryan. i sent you a pm.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:35 AM

PM replied. Will be away from the PC for awhile, but will check later
Old 11-18-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2speed,Nov 18 2004, 06:47 PM
As a Mexican, or Hispanic, which ever you so choose, I am insulted. In my opinion, a wealthy American with a high education can do more damage in court to you and your gf.
My wife is hispanic/Mexican as well so I too am a little offended.

Good luck with your trouble and I hope everything works out for you but with remarks like that you will not make many friends...

Duc
Old 11-18-2004, 12:56 PM

There is one thing that everyone seems to be overlooking in your story...

I AGREE, COPS ARE DICKS.

I'm not joking, I have a bit of experience with them
Old 11-18-2004, 01:07 PM

Dude, relax. As others have said, her insurance co. will take care of everything. That's why we all pay through the nose for insurance. (If she was driving without insurance, then you should panic...) There's little to no possibility that her limits will be exceeded. Even if the ped. is "not nice" and wants to get as much $$ as possible, its not worth suing an individual in a situation like this. The ped's lawyers will advise her to get as much as possible from your GF's insurance co, and then call it a day. It is very difficult to sue and then enforce payment from an individual. (most folks, if they get hit with a huge, individual judgement just file bankruptcy, then the sue-er ends up with nothing except the expense of the suit. it's just not worth it)

I was sued over an accident a number of years ago, and I can't even say it was much of a hassle. My insurance co. took care of everything, and settled out of court a year later. I got all worried and worked up about it (getting served is not a comfortable experience), but later regretted the heartburn I caused myself. I made myself miserble worrying about the situation, when in fact there wasn't much to worry about.

Bottom line: It's done and over, I'm sure your GF is more than sorry, that's why they call it an "accident" and its great that the mother and child are OK. Don't dwell on it, move on with your lives, and let the pros do their jobs. If your GF feels guilty, remind her that this person will likely be well compensated.

Sorry for the long post. BTW, I'm latino (but who cares!?)

Dinnyin
Old 11-18-2004, 02:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by a4sport,Nov 18 2004, 11:25 AM
i really don't find it appropriate for you to imply that since the pedestrian in question being a "hispanic woman of a low income family", will try to ream your gf for all she's got. that's totally uncalled for, unfair, and in my opinion quite racist.
True, singling out the race/income was not appropriate, but let's be realistic.

No matter the race/income, you can bet a lawyer and lawsuit are coming. Anyone who ever followed an MTA bus and seen the ads know what I am talking about (for hispanics). For everyone else, there's Larry H. Parker.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JrodsS2000,Nov 18 2004, 10:35 AM
no matter what the case is the pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way. If you hit a Jay Walker its still your fault.
I'm pretty sure if you hit a J-Walker its not your fault...how can you be held accountable for someone illegally walking across the street? You can get a fine if you are caught J-Walking, so you it sure as hell won't be your fault if you hit someone J-walking.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K,Nov 18 2004, 11:38 PM
I'm pretty sure if you hit a J-Walker its not your fault...how can you be held accountable for someone illegally walking across the street? You can get a fine if you are caught J-Walking, so you it sure as hell won't be your fault if you hit someone J-walking.
Unfortunately, still your fault if you hit a jay walker...
Old 11-18-2004, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by AHHVTEC,Nov 18 2004, 01:12 PM
My wife is hispanic/Mexican as well so I too am a little offended.

Good luck with your trouble and I hope everything works out for you but with remarks like that you will not make many friends...

Duc
ok, lets get something straight here. I did not mean to say hispanic=poor. if thats how everybody read it, then AGAIN I APOLOGIZE. I didn't mean to sound like that.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dinnyin,Nov 18 2004, 02:07 PM
Dude, relax. As others have said, her insurance co. will take care of everything. That's why we all pay through the nose for insurance. (If she was driving without insurance, then you should panic...) There's little to no possibility that her limits will be exceeded. Even if the ped. is "not nice" and wants to get as much $$ as possible, its not worth suing an individual in a situation like this. The ped's lawyers will advise her to get as much as possible from your GF's insurance co, and then call it a day. It is very difficult to sue and then enforce payment from an individual. (most folks, if they get hit with a huge, individual judgement just file bankruptcy, then the sue-er ends up with nothing except the expense of the suit. it's just not worth it)

I was sued over an accident a number of years ago, and I can't even say it was much of a hassle. My insurance co. took care of everything, and settled out of court a year later. I got all worried and worked up about it (getting served is not a comfortable experience), but later regretted the heartburn I caused myself. I made myself miserble worrying about the situation, when in fact there wasn't much to worry about.

Bottom line: It's done and over, I'm sure your GF is more than sorry, that's why they call it an "accident" and its great that the mother and child are OK. Don't dwell on it, move on with your lives, and let the pros do their jobs. If your GF feels guilty, remind her that this person will likely be well compensated.

Sorry for the long post. BTW, I'm latino (but who cares!?)

Dinnyin
i'm glad it turned out ok for you. i hope for the same for my gf.

Quick Reply: URGENT! Need some help.