California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

What's the best diff and trans oil and weight ??

Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Part number or spec for the Amsoil MTF?

-- Chuck
Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf

Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30

Old 03-16-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Differential: LE 1605 Item # 1605-QUART, Duolec® Vari-Purpose Gear Lubricant 1605 On Lubrication Engineers, Inc.

Transmission: Amsoil MTF AMSOIL Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30

Warm:
Oil: Amsoil XL Gallon AMSOIL XL 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

Cold
Oil: Amsoil Signature Series (step up from XL, but XL doesn't come in this weight) 0w30 http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=AZOQT-EA

In the middle
Oil: Amsoil XL 5w30 http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=XLFQT-EA

Edit: You won't get a straight answer on any weights for above fluids, but for reference, I live in Boston and run 110w Differential, 5w30 Transmission, and 0w30 weight engine oil.

Last edited by s2kfanatic15647; 03-16-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
the amsoil lasts 2-3 years.

honda mtf about 1 year.
What? you have to change your trans fluid every year if you use Honda MTF? I just bought the car... not sure what the prev owner did.

How many quarts does the trans take?

How many quarts does the diff take?

My car is FI (GT3076r turbo) - do I need to added additonall oil into the engine for the turbo? Sorry if dumb question, first aftermarket turbo car.

Many thanks
Old 04-11-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by minubaba
What? you have to change your trans fluid every year if you use Honda MTF? I just bought the car... not sure what the prev owner did.

My car is FI (GT3076r turbo) - do I need to added additonall oil into the engine for the turbo? Sorry if dumb question, first aftermarket turbo car.

Many thanks
they mean how long it lasts until it gets notchy. Either way, replace all fluids when you buy used because you have no idea what previous owner did. Including water and brake fluid.

Not to sound like a grumpy old man but these questions are answered literally thousands of places. 1.6 tranny, 1 for diff. They're both really really easy to reach so no reason not to replace.

If you bought the car used and aren't familiar with mechanics (your question confirms this) definitely spend a lot of time reading and learning on the forums about your new toy.
good luck and have fun (and please use the search function)

edit: dude - the answers to your question are literally answered in this same thread. Scroll up! It's general etiquette that you read an entire thread before posting.

Last edited by s2kfanatic15647; 04-11-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by minubaba

Many thanks
we're talking about the notchy feeling, but yearly does sound like a good time interval to change it.

both transmission and diff should be filled until overflow, which would take approximately the amounts that was just stated.

you should be checking your engine oil level regularly (every fuel fill up) using the dipstick and adding additional oil as necessary.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:15 AM

Sorry to rebump an old thread, but I just did the tranny fluid change using Amsoil manual synchromesh transmission fluid 5w30, and a little hand pump, and somehow used the entire 2 quarts. It's only supposed to use 1.6 quarts. It didn't start dripping back out while pumping until essentially the last few pumps of the second quart. Unfortunately there's no dipstick but I suppose I can buy another quart and try adding more again after giving it a good drive and see if it immediately leaks out.

I didn't notice a big change in the shifting, but I bought the car used and have no idea when they last changed out the fluid. Could have been 500 miles ago for all I know. It still feels relatively "Notchy" so I'm going to change out the clutch fluid next. I have a 2013 accord with the 6 speed and that thing is butter smooth, you can shift by blowing on it. The s2000 in comparison is much firmer, requires more force, and is notchy. I have no idea what is "normal"
Old 04-27-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i didn't bother changing the trans&diff fluids on mine when i got it used because there is zero notchiness and shifts are silky smooth. i did do engine and clutch fluids however. should i go ahead and flush anyway? what about coolant & brake fluid?

also, where do you order the LE duolec stuff? i don't see it on amazon. i was just going to get redline 75w110 until i saw this LE stuff getting mentioned on multiple threads. what is the reasoning going higher weight (75w140)?

Last edited by panda25; 04-27-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by panda25
i didn't bother changing the trans&diff fluids on mine when i got it used because there is zero notchiness and shifts are silky smooth. i did do engine and clutch fluids however. should i go ahead and flush anyway? what about coolant & brake fluid?

also, where do you order the LE duolec stuff? i don't see it on amazon.
You should change all fluids, not because we're being anal, but because Honda tells you to in the manual! Brake and Water I think is every 10 years (its in the manual). I have a 2007 so I need to do those this year. Diff is every 15k miles, so absolutely you should be flushing it. Tranny is much less frequent but at 58k miles, I wanted to do mine.

I really need to sit in someone else's s2000 to feel what it's "supposed" to feel like.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

also, where do you order the LE duolec stuff?
Doulec 1605

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: What's the best diff and trans oil and weight ??