California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

whats the big deal with CHURCH tuning?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the big deal with CHURCH tuning?

not wanting to start a flame war but whats the big deal with church's? it seems like all the dyno figures read very high compared to other shops.

ive heard lately that when you go in for a tune that they use a generic basemap and make the adjustments from there so its not a basemap based on YOUR car. the biggest thing was when i heard how the okada coilpacks made power on the church dyno on a FI car but heard from people that installed them on their FI car that they made no power.

feel free to chime in.

-a
Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 PM

I'm curious but i'll just lurk Alvin
Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by TurtleS2k,May 22 2008, 07:58 PM
I'm curious but i'll just lurk Alvin
whats up man..long time no talky

-a
Old 05-22-2008, 08:00 PM

To my knowledge his dyno reads high because of the type of dyno he uses. It measures at the rear hub, so the numbers run a little bit higher. I believe they factor that to give you a more realistic whp, but it still tends to read high.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimiChanga,May 22 2008, 08:00 PM
To my knowledge his dyno reads high because of the type of dyno he uses. It measures at the rear hub, so the numbers run a little bit higher. I believe they factor that to give you a more realistic whp, but it still tends to read high.
well i know they use a dyna-pack but still the figures seems a little too optimistic.

-a
Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How dare you, How dare you! Church is a tuning GOD! it's in his name CHURCH, from birth they knew his destiny in life!

Ok, when my car was tuned by church the first time he couldn't use a base map. he had to make one for my car. not a big deal.

when he uses HIS own base calibrations and parameters it's to save time. The maps he uses are from a similar car with similar mods. No need to create a completely new map every time. Then he adjusts the map to fine tune it to each car.

He's basically saving you time (money) by doing it this way. If you tell him you want a completely new map (partial throttle, idle, etc) he can do that, but you're paying by the hour.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard,May 22 2008, 08:11 PM
How dare you, How dare you! Church is a tuning GOD! it's in his name CHURCH, from birth they knew his destiny in life!

Ok, when my car was tuned by church the first time he couldn't use a base map. he had to make one for my car. not a big deal.

when he uses HIS own base calibrations and parameters it's to save time. No need to create a completely new map every time. Then he adjusts the map to fine tune it to each car.

He's basically saving you time (money) by doing it this way. If you tell him you want a completely new map (partial throttle, idle, etc) he can do that, but you're paying by the hour.
thats what i thought as well...but eh.

-a
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Former Moderator

I posted similar questions a while back. I have come to find out that its all up to your wallet. He does the tunes around $300 that are actually decent for what you get. Like Chairman said he uses the basemaps to save money. However, the $300 tunes wont make you the big power you want.

Church is a pretty conservative tuner. I am sure he would go more aggressive with the OK from the owner. I was surprised to see how long it takes Church tuned EMS cars to start compared to some other tuners from the force induction forum. His cars crank, crank, and crank. Doesn't sound too great.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by f23power,May 22 2008, 08:14 PM
thats what i thought as well...but eh.

-a
Hey you can tell him you want a completely new calibration. it's your $180 an hour. Most of the time will be spent on setting up all the little things that make your car drivable from day to day. All that stuff will be pretty much the same from car to car (with similar mods).
Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by 9kFever,May 22 2008, 08:17 PM
I posted similar questions a while back. I have come to find out that its all up to your wallet. He does the tunes around $300 that are actually decent for what you get. Like Chairman said he uses the basemaps to save money. However, the $300 tunes wont make you the big power you want.

Church is a pretty conservative tuner. I am sure he would go more aggressive with the OK from the owner. I was surprised to see how long it takes Church tuned EMS cars to start compared to some other tuners from the force induction forum. His cars crank, crank, and crank. Doesn't sound too great.
Funny thing about WOT tuning is that it's not that complicated. It's just AFR, pretty simple. you can tell him you want a more risky AFR, he'll do it, your call.

I personally don't mind losing 5-10 boosted horsepower for some reliability.

btw, my car starts up like normal.

Quick Reply: whats the big deal with CHURCH tuning?