Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

****S2000 VS Evolution X comparison****

Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! I got really close to getting a GSR, but opted for the more "GT" R32.... i needed a nice interior / clean lines etc.. and i didnt need 4 doors...

BUT i do wonder almost everyday what it would be like if i had gotten a EVO.. if i could live with the interior etc... I think the power / yaw control would be insane.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEE72,Apr 28 2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you for taking the time to put out a review. I too was considering getting an Evo X, although I would get the MR for the SST gearbox as I am hoping that it will fill my preference for being able to manually choose gears while being painless in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

I take it from your review, that the X doesn't offer anywhere close to the agile feel of the S due to its heavier weight? How about the steering feel? Would you say that the X has better feedback and communication than the S?
Just keep in mind that the SST does not like a whole lot of HP and some who have modded have started having failures/ issues with their trannies (and if you think Honda has bad customer service regarding mods and warranties.... With Mitsu its no different and sometimes worse). There are no real clutch upgrades for that tranny either so unless you want to keep it close to stock (say 350ish hp and less) I would think about going with the GSR instead.

As far as feel no its not agile like the S and does not feel like it can be thrown around. It is very point and shoot if you want it to get there in most cases it will it just doesn't feel like the S when it does and its more forgiving. Go into a corner too hot and S-AWC kicks in and helps you through the corner..... do the same in the S and you spin/push or slide (if you have TC then you may have some assistance, but not to the level that the X has).

Feedback is pretty close to the S, but with a bucket seat and after market steering wheel the S feedback was much improved (I imagine you could have the same feeling with the Ten, but I have no intention of changing it).
Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by mic_crispy,Apr 28 2009, 12:26 PM
Nice! I got really close to getting a GSR, but opted for the more "GT" R32.... i needed a nice interior / clean lines etc.. and i didnt need 4 doors...

BUT i do wonder almost everyday what it would be like if i had gotten a EVO.. if i could live with the interior etc... I think the power / yaw control would be insane.
Congrats! I love the sound of the R32's and they have really good brakes too. The interior is a lot better than the Evo's so I think it would be hard for you to imigine getting into the Evo everyday.... I still look at it and shake my head.... the vinyl looking cheesy visors are the icing on the cake (I guess all evo's/lancers have the same ones from what I hear) and they are the cheapest looking/ feeling things I have ever seen
Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,Apr 28 2009, 02:37 PM
Congrats! I love the sound of the R32's and they have really good brakes too. The interior is a lot better than the Evo's so I think it would be hard for you to imigine getting into the Evo everyday.... I still look at it and shake my head.... the vinyl looking cheesy visors are the icing on the cake (I guess all evo's/lancers have the same ones from what I hear) and they are the cheapest looking/ feeling things I have ever seen
Haha yeah.... that actually was my biggest concern.. getting into it every day.

But on the flipside you can blow past me in pretty much any race imaginable! Although, if i could have gotten a SSS GSR for 29k OTA + 0% id prob have one today.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Nice writeup
Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Very thorough and extensive write-up from an unbiased source! Thanks! and hope you're enjoying your new toy and stop posting pictures of your car (that hood keeps temping me...) lol
Old 04-28-2009, 03:24 PM

great write up! I've also been thinking about an X.

Quick question(s). How was your fuel mileage when the car was stock? What about after ecu flash? As you said they ran pretty rich stock, how much power did it make without reducing in fuel mileage?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:35 PM

I do agree with the love it or hate it for the EvoX, but I think you should have gone with a year prior to the X body style. I too am looking for a second car to DD, but I can not see my self owning to imports I would waste to much money on both lol. So I am going to buy a nice truck to keep stock take care of and just drive FTW
Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM

owned 2 s2000's (ap1 and ap2)...for me i would take the evo x anyday of the week. the whole that's a cool looking car phase ended many moons ago. i have access to my girlfriend's ap1 everyday, but i have no desire to drive her car. it's almost punishing to drive it actually.

right now my x's pushing 335whp and 360ft-lbs on the mustang dyno...it absolutely destroys s2000 in every which way...straightline and turns...no match.

it was a really good buy considering the performance aspect. hopefully this year i'll be dropping some money for a upgraded turbo.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the motor/turbo going to be reliable as stock if it's around 335whp/360ft-lbs???

Quick Reply: ****S2000 VS Evolution X comparison****