Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

04-05 wrx

Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04-05 wrx

Im planning to buy a daily driver for myself and am looking at this 04 wrx which is modded already. My concern is that it may not be reliable as i dont know much about subaru's, but is reading about them right now gradually. How reliable are they in stock form? The one i am looking at is being sold locally by a private seller and it is in great condition and has never been driven in the winter..the car has about 25,000 miles on the clock which is pretty low miles for a 2004 as one should assume..

these are the ENGINE mods he has to his car per listing on craigslist:
upgraded vf34 turbo, sti injectors, walborough fuel pump, apr intake, perrin massive front mount intercooler, perrin down pipe and up pipe, topspeed pro-1 exhaust, turbo smart plumb back blow off valve , perrin fuel rails and catch can, cobb tuning access port professional tuned at XX tuning.

The car also has some other mods to the exterior which i like already that is why i am interested in the car. If i were to purchase it id change very little to the car like a new set of wheels, front bumper, etc. With the mods listed that are done to the engine...is this car still reliable? Obviously not as reliable as in stock form, but what am i looking at here in terms of reliability based on his mods?..

any input is appreciated. Anyone who knows about subaru's please chime in...

thanks,

-sonz
Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 PM

Cobb is a good tunning company for suburu, their tunning is usually more on the safe side than other companies. If remember correctly the vf34 is the sti turbo, or it's vf39 i'm not sure, but the vf turbos are suburu original equipment so it's eh kinda oem. It should be alright for ya.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 PM

vf34 from what ive read is the JDM STi turbo in japan..

thanks for your input!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 AM

A good friend of mine drives an 04 WRX STI to school and work everyday. He has an upgraded GT35 turbo with an aftermarket intercooler and exhaust. Couple other engine mods, along with some cosmetics as well. From what I've seen it's a great DD, he doesn't have problems with his car. I have a civic and I have more problems than he does =P

I'm no expert or anything on subies as, well, I don't know much about them at all.

EDIT: 66k miles, long drive to school (about 45 miles one way)
Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 AM

get the '05. the interior is a bit nicer, jdm-ish headlights, and different wheel lug patterns = more 5 lug wheels to choose from. imo, the '05 is the best sti year to get. this is usdm spec speaking of course.

to answer your question though...i wouldn't buy a modded car unless you knew the person selling it. usually, people sell their problems...meaning 9 out of 10 times there's something wrong with the car and they don't want to bother with it anymore. when i bought my 03 wrx, it was already heavily modified. but i was friends with the seller so i was in good shape.

as far as reliability goes, i'm sure it's been covered quite plenty even here on the s2ki forums. i never had a problem except the bov which was set to blow into the atmosphere. i changed that to recirculate 100% and never had a problem since. you'll start to experience problems once you start to modify it heavily or incorrectly. if you just want to slap on some vishnu power stages, you'll be fine. but like i said before, once you start going custom this and custom that, it'll be a headache.