Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

'06 MX-5 vs. S2000

Old 05-16-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 MX-5 vs. S2000

What up everyone-

Just got done looking at the new Mazda MX-5 miata due out in september. It is a sweet little car! I am still not sure about the styling. I looks like they combined the Z4 / RX-8 / 1st Gen. Miata all in one design.... doesnt pull it off. I do like the interior, though. The new top is also supposedly what they call the "Z" top, it folds with the horizontal part staying horizontal the whole way, and makeing its own boot when folded.....pretty cool.

With all that being said, I am still FREAKIN' glad I bought my S2000. The new MX-5 still has the "cutie" looks of the miata, still not enough punch, and they are starting at around $25k! The dealers will probably bid them up to around $30k. I would rather have a used S2k for less money, get more HP, and better styling.

Wonder if Honda will come out with something like the "Z" top....I love the boot for the top, because of the clean look, but it is a pain in the A$$ to put on! Not to mention you have to put it on and leave it on (unless you are going to kill trunk space.

I wish someone would come out with a hard boot. I had one on my 1st Gen. Miata. It came in 3 pieces (Left, Center, and Right), slid under the rear weatherstripping behind the top, and attached to the regular boot snaps like the soft boot did. Looked AWESOME, could be painted the same color as the car, and best of all, it fit in the trunk and took up minimal space (flat panels stacked on top of eachother).

What are you opinions on the new MX-5, and is there a hard boot like the one on my old miata?

thanks

John
Old 05-16-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

for 30K you get a new, not used, S2k
Old 05-16-2005, 05:52 PM

what do u smoke?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:56 PM

The occasional Pineapple Trainwreck..... But that is besides the point! I think the new MX-5 does not impress me.... I was expecting more, I even considered putting off buying a convertible until that came out, but I am now glad I didnt!

Anyone know about that hard boot?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:49 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO it should be a nice car with about as much TQ as the S2000.

Now Miatas start at $22K it's hard to believe the new one will cost $3K more.

Sometimes I wonder about trading in my used S for a new Miata or Solstice but only if near $20K and only if they have more room inside than the S.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by rai,May 16 2005, 06:49 PM
IMO it should be a nice car with about as much TQ as the S2000.

Now Miatas start at $22K it's hard to believe the new one will cost $3K more.

Sometimes I wonder about trading in my used S for a new Miata or Solstice but only if near $20K and only if they have more room inside than the S.
I thought you're gonna trade it in for a '06 Z06 or a 997 Carerra S, since you created a million threads about them.....

Old 05-17-2005, 04:51 AM
rai

Originally Posted by Carlson,May 16 2005, 10:14 PM
I thought you're gonna trade it in for a '06 Z06 or a 997 Carerra S, since you created a million threads about them.....

Well, Z06 Cayman/Carrera are coupes, I'd like to have a vert on the side. I know there's a 911 cab but for $90K I could get both a Z06 and a Miata.

IMO small verts don't have to mad fast to have fun. I owned a 1.9L Z3 before.

My problem with the S2000 is I don't fit in it. I don't imagine the Miata will be any bigger than the S tho.

OTOH I just read an article about the SLK55 v Boxster S and am intrigued by the SLK which is (near) corvette quick, and stands between the vert/sports car on one hand and Powerful coupe on the other.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:08 AM
rai

My point is, I have a car now that's worth $22K-$23K +/- and its paid off. So to me going to a car that costs $23K-24K is nothing. It's a lateral move doesn't cost me much.

But a Boxster S or a SLK55 or a C6 vert they're $50K++ so it'd be my car + $30K+ on top. That's a completely different proposition.

I don't think a new Miata is better than a used S2000, but it's light weight and TQ it'll be close (IMO), it's not like going from a Mustang GT to a Focus.

It may come down to if I fit better in a Miata even tho it's not as mean as a S2000 I may enjoy it more. Plus I like new cars (get tired of the same car year after year).
Old 05-17-2005, 05:27 AM

Ok, one question, first off, what crack pipe was the design team passing around? That front end looks terrible, reminds me of the box headlights and maw of the Vue. The wheel flares look pulled straight from the 8, and the tail looks like a current miata with altezzas. Not a styling dream by any means.

Second, am I some sort of super-genius or does it seem abundantly clear to anyone else that if they would take the Renesis engine and drop it into the MX-5, perhaps changing the name to the RX-5 or whatnot, they would have a more powerful, high revving, just as light sports car that I might actually consider buying?

Edit: I figure it's gotta be obvious to someone else because I originally misspelled genius.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:40 AM

I think it is not only obvious.. but intentionally so. There is supposedly a new RX-7 coming on the same platform. It will be restyled and a coupe only at first. Ok.. that is just a guess.

Regardless... I belive that Mazda is intentionally leaving the door open to engine swaps. When I had my Miata, there was a lot of frustration that we couldn't do easy swaps like the Honda kids could. For something the size of a pony-keg, a RX-7 engine will not fit in the older Miatas without some serious welding and hammering to the transmission tunnel. I have to belive that they learned something from watching the success of Scion and Honda because there are customization possibilities that don't exist on the Mazdas. Even if most owners of xAs and Civics never do anything so drastic as a motor swap or turbo kit, the idea that they can sells numerous cars every year. ...Either that or I have over estimated Mazda again and they are just being cheap, going shared parts bin mad now that Ford is holding the reins.

Quick Reply: '06 MX-5 vs. S2000