Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

06 Toyota Supercar Spyshots

Old 10-07-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think toyota is making the right move in attempts to enter int the Super class of cars. I mean I think they as a company have pretty much covered all segments of the auto world. With thier attemp to enter in the market against the ford GT, they can take over that market in additon to all teh markets they succed in. I mean, they do have th credibility as a reliable, inexpensive, and economical. So why not enter in to a market where they can be a challenge to cars like the Ford GT and the doge Viper.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think every manufacturer needs a brand image car. If you look at the sales trends of Toyota, they look a bit like Buick - the average age of a Toyota owner I think is like late 40s....they need something to attract buyers to the Toyota brand that's seen as a bit stodgy. Scion has done an excellent job at selling re-badged Toys to younger buyers, but c'mon--none of 'em are ever buy a 2009 Camry when they graduate from College unless Toyota does something to attract people (men esp) in their 20s and 30s.

I, too, would rather see a Toyota in the 30-35K range that can compete with the MR and the STi. (Perhaps that was Toyota's original plan, but they ended up having to build a $100K car in order to do that!)
Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 PM

So why not enter in to a market where they can be a challenge to cars like the Ford GT and the doge Viper.
the issue of a 100k plus toyota supercar is eerily similar to the volkswagen phaeton...it may be an awsome car however, who will pay 100k plus for a toyota it is the same as asking who will pay 90k for a vw despite the fact that it is an excellent car..we all know how well the phaeton is doing...i think if toyota were to do the same, it would be a mistake
Old 10-07-2004, 03:26 PM

ha, why is Toyota even bothering with making a supercar. They suck in F1 and IRL. They have no distinguished racing pedigree to back it up unlike Honda, who made the NSX after conquering F1 with the McLaren-Hondas. A Toyota supercar bah-humbug! I'll wait for the next generation NSX...if that damn thing ever materializes.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:45 PM

Ah the N
Old 10-07-2004, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by pierceman,Oct 7 2004, 11:50 AM
ahhhh, that is nice, but I was hoping for a v8 supra in the 50K range!!
nuff aid-that woulda possibly been my next whip.......guess not
please release a car in the 50k range
Old 10-07-2004, 07:31 PM

This car is interesting to me merely for the fact that I've never really seen a Toyota supercar before, so I'm willing to see what they come up with. I don't think this prototype looks even vaguely related to the Supra though.

And hopefully the finished product won't bear ANY resemblance to that hideous concept.

I think Toyota could make the sale under a Lexus badge, but I agree that putting a Toyo badge on it would be a very Phaeton-like move.

Since the engine is a V10, putting out 500 hp, but only 370 torque, I'm guessing the displacement will be between 4.3 and 4.8 liters, with aluminum parts and a lightweight crank so it can spin up to probably 7500 RPM.

This car makes me think Japan is finally getting fed up with sucking at Le Mans, and not being able to play in the supercar market in general. The fact that Mazda did it on their first try is still a poignant moment in racing history to this day, and something remarkable, considering that wealthier makes like Toyota and Nissan have both utterly failed to win that race.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=JettaGT,Oct 7 2004, 03:02 PM]
the issue of a 100k plus toyota supercar is eerily similar to the volkswagen phaeton...it may be an awsome car however,
Old 10-08-2004, 04:23 AM

Maybe, but this isn't a comparison of brand names. This is an observation of how marketing an upscale vehicle has worked out for other "lower-end" manufacturers in the past.

The Phaeton is losing not because of reliability issues at VW. It's losing because people just do not (regardless of how hard VW has tried as of late) see that round insignia as a paragon of elegance and sophistication. Especially considering that most people able to afford a Phaeton also had one of VW uh, past efforts earlier on in life, and the two don't mix.

The Phaeton I think however, is an impeccably built machine, and not Toyota (or Lexus for that matter) has an interior that nice. In fact, on average, I'd say VW interiors are nicer, if not exactly roomier, than any Toyota I can think of.

Toyota is certainly a brand to admire, but to me their offerings are far too bland. I'll take a marginally less-reliable Nissan instead.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:07 AM

Given that a $100k+ car will never be within my reach, I look at this news and go "ho-hum."

Toyota killed themselves when they went from the MkIII to MkIV Supra. They jacked the price by 50% and people said, "Heck, for that kind of money I'll buy a Corvette."

I can't help but think the same thing will happen here. They don't really have a reputation in the $100k+ market segment, their existing customer base won't move there, so who are they going to sell this thing to (even with a Lexus badge on it)?

Quick Reply: 06 Toyota Supercar Spyshots