S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   1st Gen MS3 or Mk7 GTI? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/1st-gen-ms3-mk7-gti-1184767/)

SimoGver08 05-20-2018 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by asrautox (Post 24461347)
Between those two options, I'd go with the new GTI. For a daily, you want something new and reliable with a warranty. If the GTI you want is out of your price range, consider some other cars that might be missing from your list (Civic Si, FEST, etc). That MS3 has low miles, but that's about all it has going for it. The 2008.5+ with Bose are the ones to look for.

Thanks for the suggestions. I used to drive an Si before I bought the S, then I had the Focus ST as a daily. I drove the Fiesta ST when I attended the ST Octane Academy. They are great cars and super fun around the corners, but I couldn't see myself having it as a daily. I really think the GTI is the direction I'm going to take for a hot hatch that strikes the balance of fun and comfort. The S will continue to be my raw sports car experience. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Just have to find the right time for a good deal and to decide if I want to go manual or DSG...

CMK 05-21-2018 04:38 AM

Manual vs. DSG: Keep in mind if you do get the mod bug and decide to flash the car, the DSG will take the extra power no problem, but the clutch on the 6MT will start slipping quick and you'll need a new one.

SimoGver08 05-21-2018 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by CMK (Post 24461636)
Manual vs. DSG: Keep in mind if you do get the mod bug and decide to flash the car, the DSG will take the extra power no problem, but the clutch on the 6MT will start slipping quick and you'll need a new one.

Yes, I did read about that. The other side of the coin I read is the additional maintenance needed on a DSG. Haven't looked into it enough to know what is all involved in the maintenance schedule.

CMK 05-21-2018 06:24 AM

It basically takes the place of a manual transmission fluid change, but it's far more expensive. 40,000 miles if memory serves.

SimoGver08 05-21-2018 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by CMK (Post 24461675)
It basically takes the place of a manual transmission fluid change, but it's far more expensive. 40,000 miles if memory serves.

I typically prefer to do car work myself, so I'll need to do more research in terms of the work involved. Watching a YouTube video now...

TheMuffinMan 05-21-2018 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by CMK (Post 24461675)

50k miles if it's like the MK7 R (my daily)

I cut that in half though and did the big fluid change at 25k and plan on sticking to that schedule. I had a few things done all at once and it was $500 total from the VW dealer. DSG + Diff fluid + Engine oil + some other odds and ends.

$500 every 25k (or even 50k) is not breaking the bank. I'm APR Stage 1 as well.

SimoGver08 05-21-2018 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan (Post 24461932)
50k miles if it's like the MK7 R (my daily)

I cut that in half though and did the big fluid change at 25k and plan on sticking to that schedule. I had a few things done all at once and it was $500 total from the VW dealer. DSG + Diff fluid + Engine oil + some other odds and ends.

$500 every 25k (or even 50k) is not breaking the bank. I'm APR Stage 1 as well.

Doesn't sound that bad at all. I test drove both a manual and a DSG today. I do think, as with any car, the manual is a much more engaging experience. The clutch was so light that I wouldn't mind driving it in traffic if I had too. After I drove the DSG, I was sold on it. It was better than I expected. The shifts were quick and it has the added convenience of going into drive mode for sitting in traffic. It's a middle ground for having an engaging experience while still having the ability to go full auto. With having the S still, I can quench my full driving experience in wanting to drive a manual car by taking the S2K out for a drive. For me, a DSG GTI with the S2K would be a good mix of two driving experiences.

CMK 05-22-2018 04:17 AM

In all honesty if I could go back and do it over again I'd probably suck it up and get the DSG. I loved it in my '08 R32 and after driving the S2000 the GTI's 6MT is pretty sloppy by comparison.

HawkeyeGeoff 05-22-2018 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by CMK (Post 24462117)
In all honesty if I could go back and do it over again I'd probably suck it up and get the DSG. I loved it in my '08 R32 and after driving the S2000 the GTI's 6MT is pretty sloppy by comparison.

Like any other modern FWD it's just a cable shift. Just how it goes.

ZDan 05-22-2018 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff (Post 24459683)
For fun = MS3
Financial sense = GTi.

All the Mazdaspeeds have plummeted in value and will continue to do so unfortunately. All depends what you want. :) GL!

If Mazdaspeeds have plummeted in value, that means it makes MORE financial sense to go Mazdaspeed. Terrible resale value means buying a used one is a good deal!

I never understand the argument against buying a particular *used* car because the resale is terrible. That is exactly why you should buy it!

FWIW, wife's '01 Mazda3 (n.a.) is at 195k miles, it has held up remarkably well and is still fun to drive. It did require new struts/shocks a couple of years ago but really happy with the KYB replacements.