Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 Civic released

Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,Feb 19 2011, 10:41 AM
i think its quite ironic. here we are supposed to be an ethusiast site.

Its VERY common knowledge the K24 engine is an absolute tuning monster. In Fact, it outclasses the F20/F22c when modified and the K24 has proven itself to be an amazing swap and capable of producing better tq and whp vs the all mightly F series. even the 'lesser' K20 will produce better whp when tuned ihe vs a tuned ihe f20/f22.

Now you guys are complianing that Honda is offering the K24 engine standard in the Civic Si? Sure, they didnt bump up the power much from the prior k20, but I be your nickels the TQ is greatly improved and the car is faster overall. I really wonder how this K24 will respond with Bolt ons.
Don't harp on others' status as 'enthusiasts' when you don't even comprehend that the K24 in the new Si has physical limitations that prevent it from making the same gains as the old K20...

Unless you swap a K20 head on it. That's irony.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only is the suspension gap huge, the track is way too narrow for the bodywork. Honda has had a bad history of doing this to their rear quarter fenders. Makes it look like a fat guy pulling up his pant legs to cross a puddle.

Looks like it'll be a 2012 Focus this year, when we have to replace our commuter car.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the most aggressive looking civic we've ever had in the US. Props to Honda for stepping it up in the styling department.

It's still underpowered as usual though =/
Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Underpowered compared to what? The Si is underpowered but the basic Civic (ie, the one that sells the most) is definitely not.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Feb 19 2011, 10:27 AM
Not with the integrated header, it isn't. That's a fairly extensive/expensive retrofit to change that out.

In day-to-day driving, I expect it will be quicker and easier to drive. I'm not sure it will be better than a K20 (cheaper or more powerful/quicker) if you do similar mods though, based on the integrated header limiting your options.
Wow. The integrated exhaust manifold is seriously lame.

However, does anyone remember back in the day when people would run an adapter block and hook a turbo up to the CRX HF manifold that had a similar layout (it wasn't integrated but the runners did converge abruptly to a common exit)? I wonder if that would be possible with this setup. Mechanically it seems doable but I mean more from a metallurgical perspective if it would be possible to pull this off without warping the head.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ChineseTakeout,Feb 20 2011, 08:45 AM
Makes it look like a fat guy pulling up his pant legs to cross a puddle.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:27 AM

i have to say i like the 4 door much more than the coupe. the coupe, front and back, imho is horrible. the 4 door is exception, especially the si but the previous body style cannot be compared at all to the new ones. the old body style is just so much nicer in every way
Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Feb 20 2011, 11:02 AM
Wow. The integrated exhaust manifold is seriously lame.

However, does anyone remember back in the day when people would run an adapter block and hook a turbo up to the CRX HF manifold that had a similar layout (it wasn't integrated but the runners did converge abruptly to a common exit)? I wonder if that would be possible with this setup. Mechanically it seems doable but I mean more from a metallurgical perspective if it would be possible to pull this off without warping the head.
I'm not sure if I think the integrated exhaust manifold is lame or not. I'm more curious about it than anything. The Fit motor has the same feature. It's actually working out to be rather nice for the Formula F (formerly Formula Ford) guys. Rather than having to custom make a 4 into 1 (or 4-2-1) header and exhaust system they can just connect onto a single outlet on the motor. It saves the racers a good bit of money.

That said, I don't know what's in it for Honda. One would think it can't be a good thing and if Chrysler did the same thing people would say it was terrible. However, Honda is known for doing their own things with motors but rarely do they do something without some reason. I'm just curious what it is in this case.

Edit: This isn't Honda specific but it does talk about integrated manifolds:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/15/lotus-d...-tuners-cringe/
Old 02-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm sure there is an emissions benefit. Honda doesn't care what happens in the aftermarket. I'm sure there are a dozen advantages to such a manifold but none of which is making more power.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I did not know the head had an integrated header into the manifold. That is lame.

HOWEVER. If you already have a K24 bottom end then it makes it THAT much easier to swap a K20 head onto it.

It was after all the K24block/K20head that is the killer combo after all.

Quick Reply: 2012 Civic released