Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 Porsche 911

Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1312951107' post='20863528
Because Porsche is stingy with power, so instead of making more power and therefore taller 5th and 6th gears, they instead made more gears to keep them short. Is it necessary, imo nah, but neither is things like DSG, launch control, etc. But hey, in an era where autotuned voices pass off as musical talent, why not right?
Porsche is stingy w/ power? Did I really just read that?

Well gen to gen in the boxsters, caymans, and run of the mill 911s yeah. Sure they make the GT2/GT3s and such that make gobs of power, but they really do put a premium on power. Although lately their run of the mill cars are getting up there. I mean if you're making 400+hp and increase by single digit percentages, that's understandable because you're already in supercar territory, but when you're around 300 or so, meh. I mean the stang just came out with 100hp more, 50 more for the vette from c5 to c6, heck even the m3.
Take the cayman or boxster, they could easily drop the 911 motor, not only would it have more power, but itd be cheaper cuz they would be spreading the parts. But in the effort of marketing namely for the 911, and really for no other reason but this, they chose to sell the boxster and cayman with their own variation of the base engine. They're all sportscars, so it isnt like one is tuned for this and one for that, they're all meant for fast driving pleasure.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're not being stingy, they're optimizing shareholder value by protecting their iconic cash cow. I wouldn't want to self-cannibalize 911 sales for lower cost, lower margin 987's if I was in their shoes either. Fact is, they make the most powerful N/A and turbocharged six cylinders on the market, and even a 987S is a very fun car to drive. Porsche does things differently than mainstream manufacturers, many people don't get it but only the relative minority that do (and buy them) really matter.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Who cares about the transmission. I'm more concerned with the car continually getting larger. Nevermind that they've eliminated the hand brake, removing more sporting character. How long till they're like Ferrari and won't offer a manual at all?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Who cares about the transmission. I'm more concerned with the car continually getting larger. Nevermind that they've eliminated the hand brake, removing more sporting character. How long till they're like Ferrari and won't offer a manual at all?
The car is actually 80 pounds lighter
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it makes a lot of sense personally. If the ratios are matched well, then gears 1-6 can be shortened with 7th gear being taller than your average 6th gear, giving increased performance and highway gas mileage. Furthermore, as manuals become the preferred transmission for enjoyment rather than efficiency (Sorry, but no one can argue that a DSG box isn't more efficient and faster), any perceived "hassle" from having to shift more often may actually be welcomed as further engaging the driver and adding to the "fun factor" of the car.

I will note that a car like the S2000 would probably benefit more from a 7 speed than a 911 i.e. low torque = needs to manipulate the power that the motor does make via gearing. I'd imagine a AP1 with a 4.77 final gear but with a 7th gear which was significantly taller than the OEM 6th gear would probably be the best of all worlds.

Finally, I've heard the exact same argument that the original poster makes from various people when the average transmission went from 4 to 5 speed transmissions then again when manufacturers went from 5 to 6, yet the performance and gas mileage was improved with each jump. Not saying that more gears will always be better (obviously, a 20 speed transmission would not help increase performance in passenger cars), but the jump to 7 gears when automatics are already at 8 does not seem to be overkill, to me at least.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S
They're not being stingy, they're optimizing shareholder value by protecting their iconic cash cow. I wouldn't want to self-cannibalize 911 sales for lower cost, lower margin 987's if I was in their shoes either. Fact is, they make the most powerful N/A and turbocharged six cylinders on the market, and even a 987S is a very fun car to drive. Porsche does things differently than mainstream manufacturers, many people don't get it but only the relative minority that do (and buy them) really matter.

Oh I got aaaaall of that, still doesn't mean I have to applaud them for it or not point it out. Hurray, they convinced a lot of people that their cars are priced reasonably and not taking advantage (and who could blame them, not me) o taking advantage of their consumers more inelastic demand. Their decisions as a producer are sound, doesn't mean that I as a consumer have to commend them for it. Consider it grudgingly accepted cuz I do love porsches.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1313000287' post='20865453

Oh I got aaaaall of that, still doesn't mean I have to applaud them for it or not point it out. Hurray, they convinced a lot of people that their cars are priced reasonably and not taking advantage (and who could blame them, not me) o taking advantage of their consumers more inelastic demand. Their decisions as a producer are sound, doesn't mean that I as a consumer have to commend them for it. Consider it grudgingly accepted cuz I do love porsches.
I see your points, but I really don't think they're fooling too many Porsche buyers. They're pretty knowledgeable on average, and they know what's going on. And I suspect they're fairly happy with most (not all) of Porsche's decisions that allow it to stay in business as the company it is.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Because Porsche is stingy with power,
I can't remember if it is the 911 or the 911s, but I believe that it's going to have 400+hp next year. I hardly call that stingy.

Edit: 911 gets 350hp, 911s gets 400hp Both are still the top two NA 6-cyl engines for production cars IIRC.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 PM

So let's see, in 1998 when the water cooled 911s came out, they made 300, now 14 years later, they're making 350hp.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Well I guess that it isn't that much of a bump, but I defy you to find fault with "only" 400hp in the S.

And really 350 out of a 3.4l 6-cyl isn't that bad. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the 500 they got out of the 4.o...

Quick Reply: 2012 Porsche 911