Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 Acura ILX

Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
When I putted around town in one of these, the only thing I could think to myself was, "This is a really nice Civic.."

It's a way for Honda to make money, but I was really hoping it was going to be a direct RSX replacement.
Which is also a Civic...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Boom!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least the RDX is/was made different. Yes, it is a CRV, but it was turbo in gen 1. And now a v6 in gen 2. Why can't ILX be done like that? Oh, Honda wanted every penny.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM

They did do exactly that - they added a more powerful bespoke base motor, made it prettier inside and out and priced it higher. Same thing they did with the RDX. Literally, exactly the same thing. The fact that they share some components with their "lesser" sibling is also true for both.

The new RDX shares its motor with the Accord, Pilot, Odyssey and Ridgeline. It shares its AWD system with the Pilot, Ridgeline and Crosstour. It's less unique now than it ever was.

God forbid that Honda want every penny. That's what they're in business to do: MAKE MONEY.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
They did do exactly that - they added a more powerful bespoke base motor, made it prettier inside and out and priced it higher. Same thing they did with the RDX. Literally, exactly the same thing. The fact that they share some components with their "lesser" sibling is also true for both.

The new RDX shares its motor with the Accord, Pilot, Odyssey and Ridgeline. It shares its AWD system with the Pilot, Ridgeline and Crosstour. It's less unique now than it ever was.

God forbid that Honda want every penny. That's what they're in business to do: MAKE MONEY.

My understanding is the RDX has Acura's SH-AWD which is similar, but not the same as the Pilot/Ridgeline/Crosstour's 4WD system at all. Unless that's changed in the most recent year or two.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:01 PM

The RDX used to have SH-AWD. Now it uses a version of the CR-V's system (Real Time AWD). They put in the V6, nicer interior and dual-clutch transmission as replacement features (motor and transmission are shared with the Accord, Odyssey, Pilot, MDX and RL, though the engine is tuned slightly higher for some models).
Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove an ILX for a day while the acura dealership was doing service on my TL. It had nice materials and pretty much everything you would expect from a modern $30k Acura, but it just didn't feel like a luxury car to me. The engine was noisy and underpowered and there was an excess of road noise in the cabin.

It was far less of a car than my 06 TL that I paid $11k for.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 AM

Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

The RDX used to have SH-AWD. Now it uses a version of the CR-V's system (Real Time AWD). They put in the V6, nicer interior and dual-clutch transmission as replacement features (motor and transmission are shared with the Accord, Odyssey, Pilot, MDX and RL, though the engine is tuned slightly higher for some models).
I could be mistaken, but I'm 99% certain that Honda has no dual clutch transmission. The RDX uses a tried and true 6 speed traditional torque converter laden automatic transmission.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 AM

You are 100% wrong that Honda doesn't have a DCT (the RLX and new MDX feature the 7AT DCT). You are, however, 100% correct in that the RDX uses a conventional 6AT that is shared with the Accord, Odyssey and Pilot. My mistake.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No shit, when did they do that change over? My mistake JonBoy, that's why I said unless it had changed recently.

I knew the motor was the same.

*edit* Looks like ~2012 was last year?

Quick Reply: 2013 Acura ILX