Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 Civic Si

Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Civic Si

Hello S2ki,

I've been in the search for a new DD for a while now and I have been considering the new 2013 Civic Si to replace my old Civic. Like many of the other "wut DD should I get?1!" threads, I too, want a car that can do it all. When I eventually faced reality that a Honda-reliable, 4-seater, 80 MPG, $24k, Turbo 911 does not exist, I decided to purchase something more realistic to make my commute a bit more bearable. I have considered most of my options:

1. Subaru WRX What it gains in performance, it lacks in standard features. I am not too fond of the base model with my budget of $25k.
2. Scion FR-S Unusable backseats and Psychoazn's thread really makes me think twice.
3. Focus ST Not a hatchback fan, though I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a fast / fun FWD car.
4. Civic Si

I'm a fan of all the features in the 2013 Civic. I feel like Honda has stepped it up with the interior / exterior (Sedan) design when it came to their little econobox. I've locked in a price just shy of $23,000 MSRP with Navigation which seems like a great deal.

I know these cars have lost some of their character when they switched to the K24 vs the older high-strung K20. However, the extra torque is welcome when driving around town. I'm still welcome to the idea of a 2009-2011 Civic Si, but I want to avoid the used Honda market at this time. The revised interior is also feels nice to be in, but I'm sure that will get old over time.

I do plan on bringing this car to the local autocross and HPDE's as well. I do not mind FWD at all.

Any tips / criticism / advice would be very much appreciated. Any suggestions for other cars is also welcome.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM

I've been reading up on my next DD and it may be the Civic Si as well, but I'm not in the market yet. The interior is better on the 2013. Go for it!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:38 PM

25k for a civic si? Why not get a slightly used Acura tsx for that price, better looking IMO too
Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by G S2000
25k for a civic si? Why not get a slightly used Acura tsx for that price, better looking IMO too
While I agree the TSX is a more loaded car despite having the same K24 engine, I'm trying to avoid the used car market for now unless I have full confidence from the seller. I have the worst luck with used cars so I would like something with a warranty and easy on the maintenance. Plus I would like my car to come standard with a limited slip differential. If I was more open to used cars, I'm sure I'd just pick up another S2000.

The 2012 Civic Si was a bit of a dud in the market. I do believe Honda has greatly upped their market with the new 2013 Civic.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

id say go for it. i had a 2006 si for 6 years. they are great cars for dd.

personally i wouldnt get one with the k24 though. There is a lot of nice used si's that arent subject to the usual rice mods.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:03 AM

I don't know if you've already considered it, but the 2013 Accord Sport comes in manual as a sedan, and also has an MSRP of 23k. Its a sharp looking car, you're not getting the navi or moonroof, but space is increased and MPG is comparable or better and you can run 87 octane.

I would find a lower mileage '08 TL Type-S with that kind of money, but I also never buy new cars.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2014 mazda3
Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 AM

Personally I liked the 06-08 Si much better than the 09-11. I had an 07 coupe before I bought my S2000 and loved it. It would make a great DD if one had a weekend car (My S2000 is my DD).

I've not sat in the new ones so I'm not sure how I feel about them, but Im not huge on the external styling. I've heard the interiors have been significantly improved though which was much needed, I had 12 as a loaner once and the interior was HORRIBLE cheap feeling plastic with lots of seams.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

While I like the new '13 Si Sedan styling, I prefer to have the higher reving 8K redline K20 Si. I just bought my '11 Si Sedan a month ago with 30k mi on it... which for a Honda is just getting started. It was from a Honda dealership and was Certified Pre-Owned and had gone through a complete inspection and I still have the remainder of the standard warranty that comes with a new car until 36k mi, then I have a warranty that kicks in after that for 7yr/100k mi that comes as standard for being CPO.

If you're really that worried about a used car and having a warranty but still prefer to have a higher reving Si, I'd recommend doing what I did. I'm loving my Si and don't think I would've been as happy with the K24. I will say that for daily use though the extra torque would probably be nicer to have, but I've never felt that I'm at a lack of power in the car just getting around... including 4 passengers with the A/C on for the first time this past weekend. Whether you get the K24 Si or the K20 Si, they're both great value and a well rounded package. I can't think of a better DD for the price and it's fun to still be able to have a 6 speed and 8K redline everyday but with more practicality and better MPGs

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadeDream
I had a '12 as a loaner once and the interior was HORRIBLE cheap feeling plastic with lots of seams.
I meant to add this... steer clear of the 2012 Si if you do shop used. Ugly styling and cheap materials. There's a reason the mid-model refresh for the current civic came only ONE year after the new model debuted in '12.

Quick Reply: 2013 Civic Si