Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 Subaru BRZ

Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im another considering of replacing my s2000 with the FRS come next spring, the only pitfall in my mind is the lack of power. I want to buy my FRS in cash, so hopefully there will be a supercharger out to add some power to it by then.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 565 Likes on 395 Posts

To everyone who already has an S2000 and is considering REPLACING (not adding to the stable) it with an FRS/BRZ, I would take one thing into consideration and wait at least 2-3 years.

RELIABILITY.

That's one thing that has not yet been proven. The WRX and STI are horrible cars for reliability and known for spinning rod bearings and cracking ringlands on their pistons, in addition to running hot/overheating at the track - don't even start with all that BS about the factory tune being crap and it needs a reflash etc. etc.

If you're thinking of going FI right away, the Subi motors have not taken well to this even from the factory. Just a little something to stir the pot and think about.

The s2000 in both the F20/22 have proven reliability just as long as you don't over-rev it a whole bunch (true of any motor).

Also, in 2-3 years, you should be able to buy a used one for less than $18K I figure. And, an STI version might be out by then, which while faster, would still need time to prove how reliable it is.

Given that the reliablity checks out, this car should be awesome, and I think we'll see a lot more at the track soon enough.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:38 AM

My other question I have, is how easy is it to heel-toe during city driving in this car, and at the track?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
To everyone who already has an S2000 and is considering REPLACING (not adding to the stable) it with an FRS/BRZ, I would take one thing into consideration and wait at least 2-3 years.RELIABILITY.That's one thing that has not yet been proven. The WRX and STI are horrible cars for reliability and known for spinning rod bearings and cracking ringlands on their pistons, in addition to running hot/overheating at the track - don't even start with all that BS about the factory tune being crap and it needs a reflash etc. etc.If you're thinking of going FI right away, the Subi motors have not taken well to this even from the factory. Just a little something to stir the pot and think about.The s2000 in both the F20/22 have proven reliability just as long as you don't over-rev it a whole bunch (true of any motor).Also, in 2-3 years, you should be able to buy a used one for less than $18K I figure. And, an STI version might be out by then, which while faster, would still need time to prove how reliable it is.Given that the reliablity checks out, this car should be awesome, and I think we'll see a lot more at the track soon enough.
I totally agree. Reliability is another area the S2000 is exceptional.

There have been reports of FRS/BRZ engines seizing already, but it's only a few instances, and Toyota has been very understanding and accommodating about it.

Overheating hasn't been an issue yet; my previous track days were in 100+ ambient during the day. I'll be running the BRZ at ACS this weekend, and plan on doing a full session in what is expected to be 104-106 at what is arguably the most abusive track as far as engine and temps go that I have access to.

Originally Posted by FluKy15
My other question I have, is how easy is it to heel-toe during city driving in this car, and at the track?
I had no problem adjusting to it; anyone who can heel-toe a stock s2k comfortably should be able to do so in the FRS/BRZ just as well. The gas pedal is "larger" which gives you more leeway in technique.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To everyone who already has an S2000 and is considering REPLACING (not adding to the stable) it with an FRS/BRZ, I would take one thing into consideration and wait at least 2-3 years.

RELIABILITY.

That's one thing that has not yet been proven. The WRX and STI are horrible cars for reliability and known for spinning rod bearings and cracking ringlands on their pistons, in addition to running hot/overheating at the track - don't even start with all that BS about the factory tune being crap and it needs a reflash etc. etc.

If you're thinking of going FI right away, the Subi motors have not taken well to this even from the factory. Just a little something to stir the pot and think about.

The s2000 in both the F20/22 have proven reliability just as long as you don't over-rev it a whole bunch (true of any motor).

Also, in 2-3 years, you should be able to buy a used one for less than $18K I figure. And, an STI version might be out by then, which while faster, would still need time to prove how reliable it is.

Given that the reliablity checks out, this car should be awesome, and I think we'll see a lot more at the track soon enough.
I can't speak for things regarding the track, but for daily driving I have owned 3 Subarus, and all have been exceptionally reliable. I do know of a bad tune on the 08-10 models, but have not heard of any other issues to give anyone an impression that the WRX and STI are horrible for reliability.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RELIABILITY.

Fcking THIS.

- I bought a first year model RX-8 (2004). Needed a motor at 19k, tranny rebuild at 22k, followed by tranny replacement, and a slew of other mechanical issues.

- I bought a first year CX-7 (turbo). The motor ate the rings due to massive amts of deposits from extremely dirty oil from shit-tons of blow-by; MASSIVE engine design flaw. The motor was worn to the point of not starting (essentially NO compression) at 55k. That was even with changing the oil at recommended intervals with synthetic.

- I bought a first year Mazdaspeed3 that had timing issues from the factory that two dealers could not get right. the motor grenaded 3 times from the valve heads crashing into the pistons. The 3rd time was a brand new motor and exploded at only 3500 miles with the first full boosting after break in was complete.

Take it from the QUEEN of regrets of buying a first year model: WAIT IT OUT.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM

Ok ok going to wait it out then
Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Syn

Originally Posted by Akaryuu
Take it from the QUEEN of regrets of buying a first year model: WAIT IT OUT.
And never buy a Mazda, apparently.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Or, at the least, never buy a used car from Akaryuu!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 491 Likes on 375 Posts

Yeah, never buy first model year, period.
I find myself being drawn back to this car more and more, i want to lust for it.

Quick Reply: 2013 Subaru BRZ